In this Discussion

OK Go tour incidents

123457»

Comments

• QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jun 27 2007, 11:31 PM)
    Nine of the photos on the box lid are directly referenced in the Tour Cards, including your Polaroid and the mug shot.

I have a reference in the game!?? Holy crap, what does it say?
  • "In this city, besides your regular gig, you also play a rock show in the living room of a frat house and gain 10 new fans. (actually happened: Feb 2006, Kingston, Ontario)"

That's one of the tour cards.

I guess I should say that nine photos are of *events* that are directly referenced in the tour cards. And several others are indirectly referenced.

Want to guess which ones?
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jun 28 2007, 12:01 AM)
    "In this city, besides your regular gig, you also play a rock show in the living room of a frat house and gain 10 new fans. (actually happened: Feb 2006, Kingston, Ontario)"

That's one of the tour cards.

I guess I should say that nine photos are of *events* that are directly referenced in the tour cards. And several others are indirectly referenced.

Want to guess which ones?

One *has* to be Tim with the WWE Belt outside Wrestlemania in Detroit, right???

Also, being pelted with Footballs at the MSU game.
  • I looked at the picture again and I realized that there's a picture of just Damian's red pants. haha.
  • Suzanne, you're just too awesome! I'm glad all your hard work paid off. I definitely want to buy at least two of these board games!

I'm just in awe of your awesomeness!
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jun 25 2007, 08:52 PM)
    OK, I promised to tell you what this was about. Thanks for your patience. Here you go:

I created an OK Go board game, and it’s awesome.

Introducing the OK Go Board Game: A game about incessant touring. For 2-4 players.

The object is to be the first band to tour the country three times, collect 1,000 fans, and make $10,000. If you complete three tours, and you don't have 1000 fans or $10,000 yet, you have to keep touring until you do.

The idea is that you travel around the game board, playing shows in different cities. In certain cities, you draw a tour card, which says what happens or what you do in that city. I wanted these to be things that have actually happened to OK Go, or things they’ve actually done, or things that could reasonably happen. I ended up writing about 80 tour cards, and about half of them were things that actually happened on this past tour (and I noted them as such). I got most of them from Andy’s blog, Damian’s guest blogs, recorded interviews, my own experiences, and posts on the forum and in this thread. Thanks to those who posted!

The whole game is full of OK Go references and inside jokes, which made it really fun to make.

A few pictures:

How it came about: Last November, I was enthusing about OK Go in an email to my brother and cousins. My brother responded that I must really like these guys and that I sounded like I was back in my Duran Duran days. Our cousin Ben said he wouldn’t go that far, because I had a Duran Duran board game, of all things. I replied that the only reason I didn’t have an OK Go board game was that there wasn’t one, which got me thinking: There really should be an OK Go board game. So I made one.

I worked REALLY hard creating this game, and I’m very proud of it. I started it in February. I envisioned the whole thing, designed the board and the box lid, wrote the rules, did several rounds of play-testing and revisions, sourced all the parts, wrote the tour cards, etc., etc., etc.

I really love the pawns: They’re little tiny Chevy cargo vans (i.e., tour vans). I knew that someone somewhere had to make little tiny vans, and I was determined to find them. The answer turns out to be N-scale model train accessories. There’s like one distributor for the entire US and Canada, and of the 100,000 items in their (online! searchable!) catalog, I found the one item that was exactly what I was looking for. I had to wait a few weeks for the order to arrive, and then I had to spray-paint the vans, and brush-paint the tires, and glue the tires on myself, but now there they are, in all their miniature, perfect glory!!!

I gave one complete game to the band (all four of them together, hooray!) in Indianapolis last week. They were amazed, and I was so pleased. I wanted to surprise and delight them as they have surprised and delighted me, and I think I did that.

Sureeyaswake, I was out of town when you originally posted about this. I'm sorry I missed out on congradulating you. This is just amazing. I would definitely buy one. I can't believe the hard work you put in. It looks so amazing and professional. How did you ever get all those game cards printed out? There is so much effort and care put into this. You are just amazing. Thank you for sharing this with us and asking for incident ideas. I am too speechless to give your project the praise it deserves!
  • Tempe, thank you! Thank you, all, again. I'm overwhelmed by your reactions to this.

I saw this thread was revived, and I got all excited. I realize I did leave a couple things hanging, so let me fix that.

First, I have looked into mass production. It boils down to this: I need about $35,000 up front to have 1000 units made, top to bottom. So that's not gonna happen. I'm still considering just making 50-100 sets to sell to you all and anyone else who wants one, but cost per unit might still be too high. The point was to make it and give it to the guys, and I've done that, so even if it goes no further, I'm satisfied.

Second, I revealed that nine box-lid photos are from tour incidents that are referenced in the Tour Cards. DJRose started to guess which ones, but I never followed up. DJRose gets twenty points for correctly guessing these two:

1) Tim appearing on local TV hoisting a gigantic gold wrestling belt over his head. Damian makes stage-banter hay with it at that night's show. (Detroit, State Theater, 1 April 2007. A WWF event was going on across the street from the venue all day while we waited for the doors to open, offering many opportunities for silliness. That was a great day.)

2) Being pelted with mini footballs at the Michigan-Michigan State game on 7 Oct 2006 (Exactly one week before I met them!!! Dietpepsidrunk was there with her photo-taking husband, to the everlasting joy of us all. She also found two great, highly entertaining videos from the show on the Pontiac Garage web site. Links are posted in the thread about that show I think. Don't know if they still work.)

The rest:

3) playing a show in the living room of a frat house (mixtape was there and correctly identified her Polaroid on the box lid)

4) Damian's striped pants attracting undue attention in Kansas City (source: Andy/Rusty's blog)

5) Damian's arrest in Orlando

6) a picture of the highway sign for Napoleon, Ohio, where the band played at a VFW hall or someplace like that, no doubt imagining they were Fugazi (also from Andy's blog)

7) fans bringing them candy sculptures in response to one of Tim's clever audioblogs (I think jedi_grrlie was at that show, lucky girl!)

8) being photographed in a hotel room in Cincinnati with the figure skaters who did a pair routine to A Million Ways

9) performing the scene from Les Mis to entertain the audience while equipment gets fixed

Thanks again for all your excitement and praise! wub.gif
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jan 5 2008, 11:35 PM)
    Second, I revealed that nine box-lid photos are from tour incidents that are referenced in the Tour Cards. DJRose started to guess which ones, but I never followed up. DJRose gets twenty points for correctly guessing these two:

1) Tim appearing on local TV hoisting a gigantic gold wrestling belt over his head. Damian makes stage-banter hay with it at that night's show. (Detroit, State Theater, 1 April 2007. A WWF event was going on across the street from the venue all day while we waited for the doors to open, offering many opportunities for silliness. That was a great day.)

2) Being pelted with mini footballs at the Michigan-Michigan State game on 7 Oct 2006 (Exactly one week before I met them!!! Dietpepsidrunk was there with her photo-taking husband, to the everlasting joy of us all. She also found two great, highly entertaining videos from the show on the Pontiac Garage web site. Links are posted in the thread about that show I think. Don't know if they still work.)

Oooh, 20 Points! Do I win anything?
  • WOW. Holy shit wow. That game looks so fucking sweet! I didn't join the boards until October and I was pretty good about looking through all the threads, but I COMPLETELY missed that. I want one smile.gif Big duh...
  • If you do decide to make more Suzanne, I'll definitely buy one. They're so amazing.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jan 7 2008, 05:00 PM)
    Oooh, 20 Points! Do I win anything?

Since the topic was just brought up again, I noticed that Suzanne has yet to respond to me - Do I win anything for my 20 points? wink.gif
  • ^^ You win Damian's adoration, Rachel. wink.gif
  • What more could you possibly want, Rachel - oh ye of the umpteen meeting-them-in-person-and-they-remember-me-eeek! stories?

The twenty points thing is just kind of an expression. wink.gif

(I feel like we're Strut and Baggio debating a point. wink.gif)
  • Hahaha, I really just want to know more about the game, honestly. I always wondered just how much of this thread was included.

I'll bet if I asked them about the board game they'd know EXACTLY who I was talking about. wink.gif
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jun 29 2008, 10:52 PM)
    I'll bet if I asked them about the board game they'd know EXACTLY who I was talking about. wink.gif
    smile.gif Aw, thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who's ever created an OK Go board game. rolleyes.gif

Looking back, I used quite a lot of the incidents that were suggested in this thread. Specifically:
    - playing in the living room of frat house (mixtape)
    - pelted w/mini footballs (dietpepsidrunk)
    - signing Oliver the Reindeer (dietpepsidrunk)
    - performing with Cheap Trick (dietpepsidrunk)
    - play for a high school: most contributions in a canned food drive (sherib)
    - blow out your GI tract, threaten to barf on front row (untidytowns and DJRose)
    - I used both of Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore's, because apparently my topic was cool enough to attract not only his attention but also a post from the man himself, and because they're both such great stories
    - ytel82's one about Damian having 4 girls go up on stage to do The Dance while they played it acoustically in the audience
    - the "take off all your clothes" chant from UCSD and others (Tabetha and amberdino)
    - that a girl had to run on a treadmill during Get Over It, while the band threatens to play a half-hour extended jazz version (dietpepsidrunk)
    - doing the wave
    - guy holding up his laptop (dietpepsidrunk)

Like I said, I ended up with about 80 tour cards, and these suggestions helped. I acknowledged my fellow boardies in my "liner notes" that go with the game.

I can't believe I did all this a whole year ago. I gave it to them on June 19, 2007.
  • QUOTE (sureeyesawake @ Jun 25 2007, 10:52 PM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

My reaction was basically like Homer's in this video around 2:42ish --- http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/60164/detail/

...well, 'cept the drugs and all.

I'm kinda sad inside that I wasn't on the boards when you originally posted this. SO. FREAKIN'. AMAZING.

"Oh, yeah, it was like liiiiiiightning, everybody was friiiiiightening." Hahaha. Sorry. Just had to.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jan 7 2008, 05:15 PM)
    If you do decide to make more Suzanne, I'll definitely buy one. They're so amazing.

Ditto, fo' sho!