In this Discussion

Knitting thread!

13»

Comments

• Ooh, that makes sense! Thank you!
  • in fiber arts i had to make a pin cushion and i has to sew it together with a needle and thread
  • HAHA! your funny.

i was ment to knit some mittens this winter but now its spring, ill have to do them for next year now! sad.gif
  • ooo i love thoes sugar and creeme yarns ^^
    i dont know how to knit.
    only crochet.
    it knitting hard???
  • I can do a plain stitch (or whatever it's called) and if i can do it, anyone can!
    However, that is the limit of my knitting ability. I guess, whether it's hard or not depends on what you're trying to do.

Is Pearl the opposite of plain?? I can do that one too.

I would start with a plain scarf, definately the easiest in my opinion.
  • I feel like crying... I started my arts and crafts course today, and the first lesson was knitting, and she seems to think we're all experts after one day just because a few people already knew how. She's all "oh, just come to class tomorrow with your square done and we'll start mittens!" WTF.
  • That's pretty harsh!!! Are we talking thumbless mittens?? Mittens are kinda hard. You have to knit them on the round, and thumbs... well I just never went there. I just made baby mittens with no thumbs.
  • I'm over the initial panic, but mittens are still a total bitch to make. I haven't started the thumb part yet, but I don't even know what "on the round" means...oh, Jesus...
  • Are you knitting in a circle or are you making separate pieces and then sewing them together?
  • Hmm..I think sewing them together. Gah, I can't wait till this unit is over and we can make baskets and simple things...
  • Oh ok, that should be a little easier.

When you knit on the round you have 4 double point needles. You cast the stitches onto one needle and then put 1/3 of them on a second needle and 1/3 of them on the 3rd needle. You use the 4th to work the rows. When you knit all 3 of them you don't turn around and go back, you start again on the first one and knit in a circle (the needles will form a triangle)

This isn't making much sense, lemme see if I can find a picture.

Does that make sense? Once you get to that point there it's not too bad, but starting it is kinda tricky and if your circle is really small (like a thumb) then it's tought too because the other needles get in the way.
  • mellow.gif

I bow down to anyone who can knit like that.
  • That's not as hard as those penguins up there!!!
  • Haha, I was actually thinking about those in class one day and I was all 'WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS FOR FUNNNN.'
  • I won't do the 2 color thing again!!! The rest of the afghan was easy, just time consuming. But she really really loved it. So it was worth it.