In this Discussion

Reliving Childhoods

Comments

• Actually, I have another ridiculous Rachel and the Spice Girls story.

When I was a Senior in High School, the Latin program at my school would compete on the state level, and we were consistantly the best. One of the competitions involved translating an English text into Latin. One of the Freshmen that year translated MMM-Bop, and I decided to out-cheese him by translating Wannabe. Here is an excerpt:

Dico quid desidero, quid vero vero desidero
    Tum dic mihi quid desideres, quid vero vero desideres
    Desidero huh, desidero huh, desidero huh, desidero huh
    Desidero vero vero vero, desidero siggam siggam ah.

So yeah. Anyway, mine was better than the MMM-Bop kid's translation, so mine went to states. I was the ONLY person in the entire state who entered, but the judge refused to give me first place. I got Honorable Mention.
  • I remember the day Spice World came out on video as the happiest day of my childhood. It was the day after school was out for the summer, and my mom got it for me as a "graduation" present, so I ended up running down the block and knocking on like ten kids' doors and screaming that there was a SG partaayyy at my house..

Oh, and there were six of us that would play Spice Girls in the driveway all summer, so we always made our nerdy friend be "Queen Spice" but didn't tell her it just meant she was our assistant.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 3 2007, 03:21 PM)
    Actually, I have another ridiculous Rachel and the Spice Girls story.

When I was a Senior in High School, the Latin program at my school would compete on the state level, and we were consistantly the best. One of the competitions involved translating an English text into Latin. One of the Freshmen that year translated MMM-Bop, and I decided to out-cheese him by translating Wannabe. Here is an excerpt:
    So yeah. Anyway, mine was better than the MMM-Bop kid's translation, so mine went to states. I was the ONLY person in the entire state who entered, but the judge refused to give me first place. I got Honorable Mention.

mmmbop?? that must have been hard...LOL (i'm still a Hanson fan, no matter how older i get, it's just in my blood)

but i have to admit that your thranslation was great eheh wink.gif
    Dico quid desidero, quid vero vero desidero
    Tum dic mihi quid desideres, quid vero vero desideres
    Desidero huh, desidero huh, desidero huh, desidero huh
    Desidero vero vero vero, desidero siggam siggam ah.

that's BRILLIANT. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
    I'm a Latin nerd, so that just made me really happy haha.

I would have given you first place if I was judging <3
  • My sister called me two weeks ago screaming that the Spice Girls were doing a reunion tour. I was pretty excited; still am. I want to go but I doubt they're coming to Chicago.

My favorite was Ginger Spice. Because we share the same birthday. Funny how I still remember that.

All the cool kids have birthdays on August 6. Ginger Spice, Elliott Smith, Andy Warhol, Lucy Ball . . . me.

It's just an awesome day.
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Jul 4 2007, 02:53 AM)
    All the cool kids have birthdays on August 6. Ginger Spice, Elliott Smith, Andy Warhol, Lucy Ball . . . me.

My grandma...

Actually, I was due August 7 - does that make me kinda sorta cool? Maybe?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jul 2 2007, 06:26 PM)
    Electra won't kill you - she's an old hand at being Ginger Spice. wink.gif

Very true - I was always Ginger. For obvious reasons biggrin.gif

I've got some signed Spice Girls stuff somewhere... Posh's great aunt was my great aunt's best friend, or something similar involving old women who insist on showing you photos of weddings of people you don't know, so they got me stuff saying "Dear Alice, love..." etc. Not sure where the stuff is now though...
  • oh man! i missed so much!

i loved the spice girls... i had the rings, the gum, the pencils...the first cd i ever got was Spice world.

when i was in highschool there was this drama nerd kid everyone used to call "evil". In the last year of hs, i went to this drama production, and he lip synced to "viva forever"

best spice memory eva!
  • My junior (or maybe even senior) year of high school, my school's art department threw a coffeehouse art/music show the weekend of Halloween, so my friends and I dressed up as the Spice Girls and then managed to convince them to let us lip-sync to Wannabe at some point in the evening. haha oooh man that was absurd.
  • I was Scary Spice for Halloween when I was 10. My mom even teased my hair into a 'fro. I wish I had a photo to show everyone, because it's pretty funny.

And DJRose, yes that makes you cool. smile.gif
  • Can I just say that I'm SUPER PISSED that you have to ENTER A CONTEST to win the OPPORTUNITY to buy tickets? Laaaaaaaame.

I was all ready to camp out and shit, too.

QUOTE (Courtneytastic @ Jul 3 2007, 04:51 AM)
    "Put in on, put it on..."

Hey, at least it's safe. wink.gif

Haha, that was the point, I remember seeing them in an interview once and being like, "Yeah! We think condom use is really important!"
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jul 25 2007, 05:19 AM)
    Can I just say that I'm SUPER PISSED that you have to ENTER A CONTEST to win the OPPORTUNITY to buy tickets? Laaaaaaaame.

I was all ready to camp out and shit, too.

do you enter the contest by signing up at their website or is there another way?

i've heard tickets are going to be over $200, i don't think i'll go if that's the case, i mean, they're not exactly what you'd call a great live act...
  • QUOTE (Juniperberry! @ Jul 25 2007, 07:30 AM)
    do you enter the contest by signing up at their website or is there another way?

i've heard tickets are going to be over $200, i don't think i'll go if that's the case, i mean, they're not exactly what you'd call a great live act...

Yes, you sign up on their website.

And great act or not, one of my greatest regrets in life is never having gone to a Spice Girls concert.
  • ok, thanks!

I would still absolutely love to go, i just don't think i could justify spending that much on a ticket to see them mime

I remember their first live concert in Istanbul... memories. That was the first time i was allowed to stay up past 10pm laugh.gif
  • OH SWEET JESUS YES THEY PICKED TORONTO AS SPICE CITY!
  • Guess who just bought her tickets?

Mmmhmm.

wink.gif
  • OMG! Congrats dear!!
    I'm sure you'll have an excellent time!
    When is the show? You'll have to give us a full report complete with pictures immediately following the show. hehe.
  • Thoughts on the new song?
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Oct 22 2007, 06:09 PM)
    OMG! Congrats dear!!
    I'm sure you'll have an excellent time!
    When is the show? You'll have to give us a full report complete with pictures immediately following the show. hehe.

13 February, so I have a while yet, haha. I'm in the lower level section (it goes floor, lower level, upper level, then whatever else), and directly across from the stage, so while I'll be on the opposite of the arena from them, at least I'll have a great view!

I'M. SO. EXCITED. OMG. I may have to break out the faux-British accent. Maybe.

QUOTE (mixtape @ Oct 23 2007, 10:26 PM)
    Thoughts on the new song?

Blah, boring. I love them, but meh.

I wrote about it here.
  • OHEMMGEE.

I spiced up my life on Wednesday. wink.gif

Pictures here and here.