In this Discussion

Ice-Cream

edited November -1 in General Discussion
I love it and I know some of you do too. So tell me of your favourite flavors, of new discoveries you've made, the best places that sell them, and maybe a story or 2 involving ice cream.

Mango ice-cream, very amazing, it's best eaten when reading a SPIN magazine

Comments

• I was wondering on the Hopi Reservation how people get their ice cream. It's at least 1.5 hours to the nearest grocery store. Then I found out the small convenient stores sell ice cream. There is also a particular grocery store that has a hidden branch off a dirt road.

There must be a Teeny Ok Go story made involving ice cream too!
  • I loooooooooooooove cookie dough. My number 1 favorite.
    After that, French Vanilla, Pistachio and Oreo flavors. If those aren't available, I don't get anything.

When I was little, all I'd eat is plain vanilla. I hated chocolate. I'm still not fond of chocolate ice cream, but at some point in my life I began to love everything else chocolate. And then, I forgot all about plain vanilla and haven't turned back since.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 2 2007, 06:06 AM)
    I loooooooooooooove cookie dough. My number 1 favorite.
    After that, French Vanilla, Pistachio and Oreo flavors. If those aren't available, I don't get anything.

When I was little, all I'd eat is plain vanilla. I hated chocolate. I'm still not fond of chocolate ice cream, but at some point in my life I began to love everything else chocolate. And then, I forgot all about plain vanilla and haven't turned back since.

There are Oreo flavors??? oh, now i'm jealous... ( i really doubt they sell it here, only one store sells the cookies and i'm living an one of the biggest cities of germany... )

When I was little I hated vanilla and only ate chocolate, haha....
    and even now i think chocolate is in my top ten... mango too. And the one i don't know the english word for... (< that was unnecessary, wasn't it...)
  • Oreo? really?, I haven't tried that one, I've tried mellon ice-cream, not as super as I thought it would be and I'm not inclined to buy it again, not saying that it tasted bad though, it just wasn't... hmmm... yeah lol
  • I love love love ice cream! It's probably one of my favorite foods...ever. haha

My favorite is chocolate ice cream. I love it.
  • Oh man I can't eat chocolate ice-cream, I love chocolate in general, I'm a chocoholic, just not a chocolate ice-creamholic.
  • Really? O man, I LOVE IT! I can't get enough of it. I'm not big on all these different flavored ice cream. just plain ol' chocolate is what i want. YUM!!! haha
  • well, there's a lot of really luxuriant flavors here, b/c there's a Ben and Jerry's everywhere. I might be wrong but isn't Ben and Jerry's very northeast-focused?
    I mean, they have a Red Sox flavor called Reverse the Curse (Andy's fav?) That thing is like 3,000 calories. Enough to fill the biggest Sox fans...
    There's Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia and... how to describe...chunks of cheesecake, chunks of brownie, heavy chunks of fudge...I mean, it's this really heavy, caloric, fatty, exorbitant, ridiculous stuff. It's like eating a delicious tub of lard. They're based in VT and they're a large chain but I don't know how national they've become. They're basically the only ice cream place I go to which is great cuz they're all over the place.

• Ya I do think Ben and Jerry's is bigger in the northeast. I mean I'm from NY and there are some around here and since they started in VT, they're big I guess in this region. But I actually went to a Ben and Jerry's in Florida. It was soooo weird haha.

And you know how you can submit flavors to Ben and Jerry's. Well one time when my brother's friends and I were in the car driving down to New Jersey, we thought of THE BEST names. They were soooo good! But the problem is, we can't remember any of them. It was too long ago haha.
  • You should totally invent a treadmill flavor and submit it!
  • ^^ O wow, great idea. I'll try and get on that haha smile.gif
  • There's no Ben & Jerrys in south Texas!!

wow submitting ice-cream names, now that's interesting

hahaha a treadmill flavored one? will it contain the Kulash-oes flavor?
  • I love this thread, and I have a few things to contribute.

Ben and Jerry's is awesome. I've been to the factory a few times up in Vermont. My favorite ice cream ever is their Cookie Dough. Also, they went to the same schools as my hubby did (they're from Long Island) and every year for a long time the kids in that district would get free Ben and Jerry's for a day. Great, huh?

My favorite place to go for Ice Cream is called Sprinkles, and it's in my hometown of New Fairfield, CT. My favorite flavor there is called "Tommy's Creation." Tommy and I graduated together. It's chocolate ice cream with peanut butter and reese's and all sorts of wonderment in it.

I also <3 the Cold Stone Creamery, specifically for it's cake batter flavor. Especially now that they have a light version of the cake batter flavor. So it's a little less fattening.

If you are looking for a lower fat good ice cream, I recommend Edy's/Dreyer's loaded. They have a peanut butter cup flavor, a cookies 'n cream flavor, and a cookie dough flavor that are all spectacularly good and fairly low in calories/fat.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 1 2007, 11:46 PM)
    Ben and Jerry's is awesome. I've been to the factory a few times up in Vermont. My favorite ice cream ever is their Cookie Dough. Also, they went to the same schools as my hubby did (they're from Long Island) and every year for a long time the kids in that district would get free Ben and Jerry's for a day. Great, huh?

That is so neato! tongue.gif

QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 1 2007, 11:46 PM)
    I also <3 the Cold Stone Creamery, specifically for it's cake batter flavor. Especially now that they have a light version of the cake batter flavor. So it's a little less fattening.

If you are looking for a lower fat good ice cream, I recommend Edy's/Dreyer's loaded. They have a peanut butter cup flavor, a cookies 'n cream flavor, and a cookie dough flavor that are all spectacularly good and fairly low in calories/fat.

Cold Stone is based out of Scottsdale. They have a huge office off the 101 highway. Gosh, I love Phoenix metro. About the Edy/Dreyers thing, I was always confused why the company has two names. On the East coast the company is called Edy's and on the West coast the company is called Dreyers. What's the deal with that?
  • One time I was eating some sort of ice cream whose flavor I probably wouldn't even like now, and I dropped my spoon. When I bent down to pick it up, I noticed a fifty dollar bill next to it...and no one there to claim it.
  • peppermint ice cream is my fave...
  • Last night, I fell asleep trying to think of clever ice cream names. I couldn't. I got "treadmilk" (which isn't really a flavor) "caramel treadmill" and that's all. I'm thinking it should something really smooth and creamy tho.

QUOTE (porifera @ Dec 2 2007, 01:18 AM)
    Ya I do think Ben and Jerry's is bigger in the northeast. I mean I'm from NY and there are some around here and since they started in VT, they're big I guess in this region. But I actually went to a Ben and Jerry's in Florida. It was soooo weird haha.

And you know how you can submit flavors to Ben and Jerry's. Well one time when my brother's friends and I were in the car driving down to New Jersey, we thought of THE BEST names. They were soooo good! But the problem is, we can't remember any of them. It was too long ago haha.

• QUOTE (Tabetha @ Dec 2 2007, 06:44 PM)
    Last night, I fell asleep trying to think of clever ice cream names. I couldn't. I got "treadmilk" (which isn't really a flavor) "caramel treadmill" and that's all. I'm thinking it should something really smooth and creamy tho.

I would eat treadmilk... haha.... and please with little treadmill- formed chocolate pieces in it...
  • There's a Ben and Jerry's in San Francisco. The last time I went there was for the free ice cream cone day.

I don't have a favorite flavor. I like almost everything.

There's two really good ice cream places in San Francisco. Mitchell's is great and they give huge scoops. I seriously considered getting some of their pumpkin ice cream and giving it to Andy, but then I realized that it would probably melt while trying to get it to him. Then there's Polly Ann's. They have lots of different flavors. If you don't know what you want, they have this wheel with a bunch of flavors on it and you spin it. Then you have to try whatever flavor you land on. I'm too scared to do it because I'm afraid I'll get avocado or something. You can win free ice cream from it though, so I think that's why lots of people spin it. It's also a good place for getting Asian flavors like green tea, red bean, and lychee (one of my favorites).

I really like ice cream on top of warm things, like brownies (I once saw Dan eat a brownie sundae). It always makes me sad when I order the brownie sundae at Ghirardelli Square because the brownie is practically frozen. Not even room temperature. I had this really good sundae thing when I was at a Japanese restaurant in Taiwan. It was vanilla ice cream on top of a warm sweet potato thing with green tea syrup. I think I have a picture of it somewhere. I'll upload it later.

Yeah, ice cream is amazing.

Edit: Here it is. It was melting pretty quickly.

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Dec 2 2007, 12:46 AM)

Whoever thought of making cake batter falvored ice cream was an absolute genius - it's my favorite, too. Here at Maggie Moo's, they give ice cream away for free for an hour everytime it hits 98 degrees in the summer. Mmmmm.