In this Discussion

The Nominations

Comments

• I can't talk about how Hillary is claiming any boons of her husband's terms as her own (and sugarcoating those terms too...the NAFTA debacle, the pardoning of a whole group of terrorists, the first bombings in Iraq, the refusal on food-for-oil in a sanction that caused the death of 500,000 children, etc, etc) or her claims of experience when she actually hasn't got any (and if you do count marriage as experience, her healthcare plans failed in the 90s b/c she sold out to her fatcat friends), her distortions, negative ads, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc-

I can't even say anymore that she's a dirty, corrupt politician b/c she's worse than that. She's a criminal.
    Please, if you have 13 minutes, watch this documentary excerpt:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70...h&plindex=0
    The case is Paul v Clinton.
    Basically, this man gave her senatorial campaign 2 mil, which against FEC rules. She knew about it, helped him plan the gala event, was very much involved. But then it got ugly- to save face, Hillary had him totally discredited by a Clinton-appointed judge. She committed perjury- he was even imprisoned b/c of her lies.

Actually, the whole documentary is on Google Video, in parts. It's also on youtube.
    I know conservative ppl tend to shy away from Micheal Moore-esque documentaries, but honestly, Moore is meticulous in documentation, as is this video.

This woman does not represent females. She is not the feminist candidate. She does not represent America.
    Please do watch this excerpt.

It is amazing to me that whereas in this past we might have been not so much pro-the-other-candidate as we were anti-Bush, to me we have here a clear devil versus an extraordinarily honest leader.

edit: 1 more thing. Clinton has a lot of her wealth offshore. I found this out from a primary source. Interestingly, she also refuses to disclose her tax information. We know she has millions anyway, seeing as she loaned her own campaign 5 mil. Obama, when asked if he would ever do the same, laughed and said he didn't even have 5 mil in his pocket to do that with. And indeed, his tax info, open to our scrutiny, shows he and his wife (Michelle runs a hospital) together earn a total of about 900,000. When he found out one of his donors was corrupt, he gave the money to charity...compare that to Clinton defending her lobbyist money by saying "lobbyists are ppl too."
  • Today, Republican former senator Chaffe of RI has announced that he is switching parties next months b/c he is now endorsing Obama. That's right- he supports Obama so much that he's switching parties. He will likely change back after March, but Chaffe has always been an independent-minded moderate anyhow.
    The best part: McCain campaigned for Chaffe back when he was running, and Obama campaigned for Chaffe's opponent. But Chaffe says that Obama is simply "the best candidate for the job."

Aaaaand! A top aide to McCain said he planned to leave the McCain campaign if Obama got the nomination b/c he respects Obama too much to be part of a campaign that attacks him.

United we stand for truth and justice, no matter our party affiliation smile.gif

Also...Obama does us so proud. He said that American presidents should seriously engage with enemies as well as friends, that diplomacy should come first and armed conflict a last resort. I'm so proud, b/c today Chelsea Clinton made fun of him for that, saying that her mother "doesn't support the president dropping into Tehran on January 21, 2009." Keep up the anti-diplomacy and really, anti-peace, comments, Chelsea.
    If that president sat down and talked with world leaders, instead of bombing their countries hastily and renaming French fries "freedom fries," the world would be a better place. Much better.

It's interesting that Chelsea was always private and uncomfortable in the limelight, but 2 weeks ago her mother ordered her out as surrogate campaigner. The result is us sadly seeing how inarticulate Chelsea is. I really like one person's comment on Chelsea discussing whether or not she would return to her old White House room: "No need to worry about that room Chelsea, it's being reserved for 2 little girls who are'nt being Used by their Parent's for Political gain. " That is so admirable and wonderful and ppl don't even realize it b/c it's true: Obama keeps his kids, girls aged 6 and 9, out of the spotlight. Michelle is home almost every evening after school and always every weekend to be with them. A lot of ppl don't even know about his kids...whereas, if you recall, John Edwards used to display his kids every chance he got when he first ran. I noticed Edwards didn't do that this time around.

Also, I thought this was really cute: http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/pbcs.dl...3/NEWS/80213011
    The man who owns the office space that was rented out to a Clinton campaign office is donating to the Obama campaign the check that the Clinton campaign paid him.

Meanwhile, Clinton has launched her negative attack ads against Obama in Wisconsin. And naturally, the attack ad is idiotic. It criticizes him for not debating her in Wisconsin, even tho they will be debating in Ohio and Texas and already had a full twenty debates. The ad goes, "maybe he'd rather give speeches than answer questions" such as why she is better than he is in various ways. Good grief.
  • No shame, no shame at all. She played the gender card again.
    Isn't it great that we've seen women astronauts?" she asked, after describing how women weren't allowed to be astronauts in her time.
    As one commenter aptly responded to the news, "I wonder if Obama would say something like... "last time I checked, there were no black president in the 200 some years of U.S. History", "isn't it great I am runnig for the president of the United States?" Hilary has used the gender card. I wonder if Obama would take advantage of his race card? "

"Senator Clinton, who has served only one full term (6yrs.), and another year campaigning, has managed to author and pass into law, (20) twenty pieces of legislation in her first six years.

These bills can be found on the website of the Library of Congress (www.thomas.loc.gov), but to save you trouble, I'll post them here for you.

1. Establish the Kate Mullany National Historic Site.
    2. Support the goals and ideals of Better Hearing and Speech Month.
    3. Recognize the Ellis Island Medal of Hon
    4. Name courthouse after Thurgood Marshall.
    5. Name courthouse after James L. Watson.
    6. Name post office after Jonn A. O'Shea.
    7. Designate Aug. 7, 2003, as National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
    8. Support the goals and ideals of National Purple Heart Recognition Day.
    9. Honor the life and legacy of Alexander Hamilton on the bicentennial of his death.
    10. Congratulate the Syracuse Univ. Orange Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
    11. Congratulate the Le Moyne College Dolphins Men's Lacrosse Team on winning the championship.
    12. Establish the 225th Anniversary of the American Revolution Commemorative Program.
    13. Name post office after Sergeant Riayan A. Tejeda.
    14. Honor Shirley Chisholm for her service to the nation and express condolences on her death.
    15. Honor John J. Downing, Brian Fahey, and Harry Ford, firefighters who lost their lives on duty.
    Only five of Clinton's bills are more substantive:

16. Extend period of unemployment assistance to victims of 9/11.
    17. Pay for city projects in response to 9/11
    18. Assist landmine victims in other countries.
    19. Assist family caregivers in accessing affordable respite care.
    20. Designate part of the National Forest System in Puerto Rico as protected in the wilderness preservation system.

There you have it-the facts straight from the Senate Record.

Now, I would post those of Obama's, but the list is too substantive, so I'll mainly categorize.

During the first (8) eight years of his elected service he sponsored over 820 bills. He introduced:

233 regarding healthcare reform,
    125 on poverty and public assistance,
    112 crime fighting bills,
    97 economic bills,
    60 human rights and anti-discrimination bills,
    21 ethics reform bills,
    15 gun control,
    6 veterans affairs and many others.

His first year in the U.S. Senate, he authored 152 bills and co-sponsored another 427. These inculded:

**the Coburn-Obama Government Transparency Act of 2006 (became law),
    **The Lugar-Obama Nuclear Non-proliferation and Conventional Weapons Threat Reduction Act, (became law),
    **The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act, passed the Senate,
    **The 2007 Government Ethics Bill, (became law),
    **The Protection Against Excessive Executive Compensation Bill, (In committee), and many more."

Hillar claims "35 years of experience"."
    So...how long til Chelsea runs and claims her whole life was experience as Bill's daughter?
  • One of Clinton's staff circulated the nasty email that Obama is a Muslim/terrorist and doesn't say the pledge of allegiance. To her credit, that staff member was fired. I encountered that rumor many, many times while campaigning. People believe it. The damage is done.

And back to square one.
    From The Sunday Times:

Clinton’s camp has been circulating stories criticising the “cult” of Obama in the hope of portraying “Obamania” as a mass delusion. Media Matters, a watchdog organisation sympathetic to Clinton, compiled a report headlined, “Media figures call Obama supporters’ behaviour ‘creepy’, compare them to Hare Krishna and Charles Manson followers”.

It was forwarded by Sidney Blumenthal, a top Clinton adviser, to select reporters. The campaign entered a nasty phase last week with the determination of Clinton’s team to revive delegates from the “ghost” primaries of Michigan and Florida, by legal action if necessary.

And I have to add that moreover, Clinton pledged that she would not campaign or count delegates from Florida or Michigan, but she did anyway. She was the only one who campaigned in Florida and actually the only name on the Michigan ballot. Needless to say, she won in both states. And now that she's behind overall, she and Ickes, her top guy, want to contradict their past selves and get those votes reinstated. Just how is that fair?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Feb 16 2008, 10:11 AM)

heeeee
    this is way too amusing
    biggrin.gif

and Sally, I'm not completely against Hillary the way you are, but the whole Michigan/Florida thing is something I really don't agree with. Like at all.
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Feb 18 2008, 08:00 PM)
    heeeee
    this is way too amusing
    biggrin.gif

I know right?! My friend sent it to me and no one can tell if it's pro-Obama or anti-Obama and, frankly, none of us care. We just quote it all the time.
    "Barack Obama helped your gramma cross the street"
  • "Barack Obama came to see your play"

oh, and so you know that bit where he's really similar to Deval Patrick?
    apparently some people (coughcough) are criticizing him for a speech being too similar to one of Deval's.
    and they both admit that they talked about his speech beforehand and agreed on what he should say.
    it's like, seriously? of course they're freaking similar, not only did they talk about the speech beforehand, they're incredibly similar candidates anyways!
    ahem
    I just don't see anything wrong with having a similar speech when it more or less makes sense.

/rant
  • Uh-huh! Well put, Meg!

From the Washing Post:

When the New York senator was campaigning in early January in the Iowa Democratic caucuses and the New Hampshire primary, she said, borrowing a phrase from former New York Gov. Mario Cuomo, "You campaign in poetry, but you govern in prose."

And last night on the NBC news, footage was shown of Hillary "plagiarizing" a speech: she uttered the same words as her husband had 2 years ago.

so...she can "borrow" phrases?
    Quelle hypocrite.
    Her whole campaign is an imitation of Obama anyhow. From stealing his signature "fired up and ready" to a slogan of change. Does anybody remember her original slogan, "Let the conversation begin"?
  • Ben and Jerry Support Obama.

A vote for anyone else is a vote against Ice Cream, people. wink.gif laugh.gif
  • ahaha, I love Ben and Jerry
    It's so funny/great how they manage to be both an ice cream company, and an awesome liberal political voice.
    plus, they have Stephen Colbert ice cream and "Vermonty Python" ice cream
    Imean, you can't get much cooler than that.
    biggrin.gif

not to mention that the two most adorable kids I know are named Ben and Gerry. that never ceases to amuse me.

ps
    Barack Obama sang you the happy birthday song on your voicemail
  • QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Feb 19 2008, 02:22 PM)
    ps
    Barack Obama sang you the happy birthday song on your voicemail

HAHAHAHAHA

Ben and Jerry went to my husband's middle school and they used to give the kids free ice cream once a year. Neat, right? I love Cookie Dough. Those men are fantabulous.
  • Obama: Man, that Hillary won't shut up about "words."
    Deval: Oh, pal, I got an idea. Quote Martin Luther King and Thomas Jefferson. It's a really good idea.
    Obama: Yeah, that's a good idea. I might do that.
    ...[later, putting his prepared speech aside]: "All men were created equal. Are these just words?"

next day, Clinton: PLAGIARIST!
    day after that, Deval: Well, if anything there were only just 4 words from me, "are these just words?" I was the one who suggested the idea to him. It's a non-issue.
    Obama: I should have credited him, but I was on the stump, oops. Sorry pal. Hillary, can we focus on the issues now?

compare that to Bill Clinton ripping off a dead guy:
    from the washington Post:

Pastor ‘Gratified’ by Bill Clinton’s Use of His Line

By Sam Roberts

“When you steal from one author, it’s plagiarism,” the larcenous 20th century entrepreneur Wilson Mizner once said. “If you steal from many, it’s research.”

The accusation Monday by Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign that Senator Barack Obama recently plagiarized a single passage from a speech delivered two years ago by a friend revived criticism that in Bill Clinton’s inaugural address in 1993 he borrowed phrases from others without attribution — twice.

In 1993, Mr. Clinton began his inaugural address by proclaiming: “Today we celebrate the mystery of American renewal. This ceremony is held in the depth of winter. But, by the words we speak and the faces we show the world, we force the spring. A spring reborn in the world’s oldest democracy, that brings forth the vision and courage to reinvent America.”

Mr. Clinton acknowledged that “force the spring” was inspired by a memo to him from Timothy S. Healy, the president of The New York Public Library, who had died a few weeks earlier. Mr. Clinton did not credit Dr. Healy in the speech, though.

Earlier on inauguration day, Mr. Clinton attended a prayer service where another friend, the Rev. Gardner C. Taylor, pastor emeritus of Concord Baptist Church in Brooklyn, delivered a sermon in which he said: “On this fateful day, we enter a springtime, we believe, of a new beginnings. There may be spring rains and storms, but it is springtime in America.”

On Wednesday, in an interview from North Carolina, Dr. Taylor recalled that he was “gratified” by Mr. Clinton’s imitation of the seasonal metaphor. “It’s a flattering thing,” he said.

Should Mr. Clinton have credited him? “Springtime is a kind of universal,” Dr. Taylor replied, “and conceivably two people may express the same idea in the same way. Almost everything is a quotation — it’s been used before. I think we can get too technical and nitpicking.”

The same applied to the Clinton campaign’s criticism of Mr. Obama. “I can’t blame them for making it — people pounce on anything,” Dr. Taylor said. “I don’t think it’s anything but a slight political point.”
  • Get off this ship b/f the sh*t just runs aground, singing that's alright....

Siiiiiiigh. I'm so upset. They're throwing all the disgusting words they can at him now.
    After, emphasis on after, the pledge of allegiance, duh, he took his hand off his heart. That's when they snapped the photo. The lie: he refuses to say the pledge or put his hand to his heart and is unpatriotic.

He said he didn't think a flag pin showed true patriotism. The lie: he hates America.
    (insert Rusty Ross song here: "just stick another American flag on the bumper of your escalade." Rusty Ross, I love you)

Michelle said that she was tired of the corrupt ways of politics, and now that she was seeing ppl really getting involved to change that, she was really proud for the first time. The lie: Michelle hates America.

Obama is a Christian. The lie: Obama is a Muslim (and for God's sake, why would it matter?)

The guy who runs Obama's church is kind of crazy. You know what? The guy who runs my COUNTRY is kind of crazy, but I don't agree with anything he, George Bush, says. And I don't think that millions of Catholics disavow evolution and equality for same-sex couples just b/c the pope does either. The lie: Obama believes all that this particular guy believes.

More lies: Obama is anti-zionist. Obama wants Sharia law. Obama's best friend is Rezco (for God's sake, Obama gave every penny that Rezco gave him to charity).

It's McCarthy all over again. It's swiftboating at its finest. Hillary Clinton, I hate you. You're a terrible person.
    And you're an idiot: your last choked up, teary words about soldiers in Iraq- YOU'RE THE ONE WHO APPROVED THE WAR, YOU MORON!

I feel so terrible for him. He's so good, so truthful: he would represent everything we dream about, everything we philosophize. And here she is throwing dirt on him b/c she's power hungry. Why can't stupid John Edwards endorse him already, and help end this smear campaign?
  • Hillary Clinton is so despicable, I don't even know what to say.
    Her campaign ppl have circulated a photo of Obama in traditional Kenyan garb, from when he visited Africa. Nice. I'm sure that has any bearing whatsoever on the issues.
    The photo is meant to instill fear that he's a Muslim terrorist plant.
    Maggie Williams says it's ok, b/c it's not something he should be ashamed of.
    What a complete, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Fear-mongering is not the answer. Hillary Clinton, you're evil and you have no conscience. I'll never vote for you after all this dirt; I'll vote for Ralph Nader before I ever support such a disgusting person as Hillary Clinton.
    Thanks for splitting up the party.

from the Gaurdian:
    "Aides for Mrs Clinton, who is fighting a last ditch battle to keep her hopes of the White House alive, did not deny distributing the picture but claimed it was not designed to be a smear."

And today some girl had the nerve to tell me to take off my Obama pin b/c she hates him. Beast. And of course, upon questioning, she supports Hillary b/c she's a woman. Darling, so was Eva Braun. So is Ann Coulter.
    I hate that ppl don't sit down and read their senate records and compare; if they did, they'd find Obama's 800 sponsored pieces of legislation and Clinton's 20. And they'd compare what the two voted for.

Btw:
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/20...clinton-if.html
  • Yesterday some awful, awful guy speaking at a McCain event tried to paint Obama as some kind of Muslim who would get us all killed.
    McCain said he didn't know the guy personally but he took responsibility for the words and promised it would never happen again.

I have to say, I'm extremely impressed with McCain. He was very honorable to say that, very good and honest and didn't take advantage of the situation. I mean, I really think what McCain did was noble.
    Of course, the guy today has now said he's no longer supporting McCain and will support Hillary Clinton.
    I'm really very moved by what McCain did- he didn't have to do that, but he did. He could have welcomed a smear campaign that didn't have his fingerprints, could have been glad that Republicans are pushing his rival down. He could even have said it was the guy's words, not his, so whatever. But he didn't do that at all. What a change from the "if you find it offensive, that's your problem b/c you shouldn't, even if it does help smear you" Maggie Williams comment.
    If it comes to Clinton vs McCain, it's clear now who's the good person and who's the dirty politician.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Feb 27 2008, 05:07 PM)
    If it comes to Clinton vs McCain, it's clear now who's the good person and who's the dirty politician.

Woah, are you serious? I mean, I know you hate Clinton, but isn't a democrat, even one as seemingly manipulative and petty as Hilary, better than a republican?

If it turns out to be Clinton vs McCain, I'd still be rooting for Clinton. She's still more of a socialist than he is, despite the dirty tactics.
  • Parties don't matter- it's the person that matters. If a candidate is a good person and wants to help people, then it doesn't matter whether that candidate wants the government to provide help directly or believes philosophically that the government should protect rights rather than interfere and control, and so advocates a more indirect role in which the private sector frames the more immediate scene.

If, on the other hand, a candidate is a bad person who only wants the prize of calling his/herself the boss, then this candidate will cause damage regardless of party affiliation. A Democrat can declare war for unjustified reasons as much as a Republican. A Democrat can destroy the earth as much as a Republican. A Democrat can invade privacy and wrongly imprison human beings as much as a Republican.
    "Democrat, "Republican"- these are simply labels at worst and philosophical differences at best. Goodness- now that's an unequivable value.

There's a lot about Hillary Clinton that I've been reading up that I haven't posted here. I can say with certainty from her actions throughout her life that she's not a person for whom goodness supercedes all else. I do not know much about John McCain, except that I know very well that he's a maverick to his party, often voting in ways that are traditionally desscribed as more democratic than republican. I also know that he's been recently backtracking or at least nuancing some of the things he's said before, like 100 years in Iraq he now explains as a figurative way of explaining "until the job is done." There are things he's done that have shocked me, like his "bomb Iran" song, but because of the incredible goodness he has shown- and I really can't emphasize enough how huge of a thing it was that he did, taking full respomsibility on himself- I am willing to reconsider him. He's no awful Romney or religious zealout Huckabee. I know he's just pandering to his own party and trying to be conservative right now, and I'll take that into account. I plan on looking very carefully at his record when I have time, and if it comes down to him and Hillary, I'll choose the lesser of two evils. And perhaps after I read up on him, I'll find that he's not so evil at all after all.

I am not the only one who feels this way. Many Obama supporters right now are planning to go with Nader or McCain if Hillary gets the nomonation, and likewise, quite a lot of Hillary supportes are planning to go McCain or Nader if Obama gets it. The Democrats are terribly split right now.

However, I do hope very much that it doesn't come down to that. Rather than choosing between candidates who don't particulary appeal to me overall, I really I hope I get to vote for the candidate I love supporting, and whom I would be proud to have represent my country. My pin- almost everyd day people in the street or subway make a comment. Yesterday, a man saw my pin and even tho I was trying to read my textbook, kept interrupting me for his entire subway ride, and telling me how Obama would truly bring back ideals to our country. And he told me, just before he left, that he was actually not yet a citizen and so could not vote, but if he could, he'd vote for Obama. I didn't know whether to be sad for him or happy that the nation would change.

QUOTE (Electra @ Feb 27 2008, 01:53 PM)
    Woah, are you serious? I mean, I know you hate Clinton, but isn't a democrat, even one as seemingly manipulative and petty as Hilary, better than a republican?

If it turns out to be Clinton vs McCain, I'd still be rooting for Clinton. She's still more of a socialist than he is, despite the dirty tactics.

• Ahh, I guess that's the main difference between our political systems. I always thought they were a little more similar - obviously in the US you vote for the person, certainly more than you would in the UK, but I was under the impression that the party was still more important.

Still I think I'd have to go for Clinton, though. I understand what you're saying, but from what I've seen (which admittedly isn't a great deal) her policies are still more left wing than McCain's, which would be the important thing to me. Even if her main aim was to get to the top rather than to make a difference to the world, if she could use that ambition and that position to introduce a free health service to the US, for example, it would still be an improvement on having another right-wing republican in office for another 4 or more years.
  • plus, you know, McCain is kind of scary? (Or, as Hank Green put it, he's scary half the time...)
    just my personal opinion, of course...

but from what I know, even if he's not as bad as Romney or Huckabee, I still don't really agree with many of his policies- whereas Hillary, as much as I dislike her personally, at least has the general right idea...

I think America's elections are definitely based more on the person- but not quite as much as Sally says.

I mean- I would NEVER base my vote purely on whether the candidate seems honest or not. Cause, you know, the chance of getting a truly honest candidate is slim to none- and even if they were, most of the people behind them surely aren't.

And, yes, McCain did the right thing in taking responsibility for that other guy's words- but in other ways, that's just as much of a political move as if he let the smear campaign go on. It's all calculated, he can't have done it JUST because it was the right thing to do.

and this-
    If a candidate is a good person and wants to help people, then it doesn't matter whether that candidate wants the government to provide help directly or believes philosophically that the government should protect rights rather than interfere and control, and so advocates a more indirect role in which the private sector frames the more immediate scene.

I HAVE to disagree on. I know both ways are about trying to help people, but I just can't see the republican ways being at all effective. and while I know the democratic ways aren't perfect either, I still feel they're a lot closer to the right way of doing things. (I mean, look at the recent republican governments- we went into a recession at the end of the 80s, and we're almost into a recession now.)

Even hypothetically, I can't see that there would ever be a case where I felt a republican was seriously a better choice than a democrat.

Nader, on the other hand, is a different story. I think it is a problem that he does take away democratic votes, and I think that contributed to Al Gore's defeat in 2000- but if it came down to him, Hillary, and McCain, I would seriously have to consider voting for him- but because I like him, not because I dislike Hillary.