In this Discussion

the sewing thread...

edited November -1 in General Discussion
i think i'm the only one that sews here, but i thought i'd start a thread instead of always cluttering up the random thread with my sewing projects... and now i present you with my first attempt at a purse, i made several mistakes, but a great learning experience nonetheless:

(i take no credit for the design of the purse, followed this excellent tutorial posted over at craftster...)

Comments

• darbie...

you are the awesome. i'm insanely jealous of your mad sewing skills. i've always wanted to learn how.
  • me too! I'd love to do that...
  • Agreed! That is a Gorgeous purse, Darbie! I used to know how to sew, but I had only done it with guidance. The first time I tried to cut a pattern by myself I failed miserably and never tried again. Which is stupid, I know.
  • Ooo, I love this thread!

Darbie = genious
    That purse is gorgous! Does it have a zipper or snap to stay closed?

I helped a classmate make her little girl a Halloween costume. Her daughter wanted to be a kangeroo. The pouch also served as a trick or treat bag. After years of my mom taking over my sewing projects, it was strange taking this one on full throttle alone.

• ooooh, that's so sweet!! It reminds me of all the costumes my mom made for me...
    I still have a huge cloth-thing lying here untouched, I wanted to make a bag or something but I don't know where to start and I keep telling myself that I'd start and make a perfect bag if i had a sewing machine, you know those machines? I don't know if there's an english word for it other than sewing machine...hm.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 25 2008, 12:56 PM)
    That purse is gorgous! Does it have a zipper or snap to stay closed?

thank you... it has a zipper, my first time sewing in a zipper, not as scary as i thought it'd be (i had been avoiding using zippers for a year 'cause i thought they'd be a nightmare to sew since my machine doesn't have a zipper foot, but it was pretty easy even without the right foot...)
  • QUOTE (mayonaise @ Jan 25 2008, 01:30 PM)
    I still have a huge cloth-thing lying here untouched, I wanted to make a bag or something but I don't know where to start and I keep telling myself that I'd start and make a perfect bag if i had a sewing machine, you know those machines? I don't know if there's an english word for it other than sewing machine...hm.

yeah, they're just called sewing machines... i bought the cheapest one i could and it's been good to me, hehe... as for not knowing where to start, read thru some of the posts on craftster, there are some super talented folks over on that board and it's honestly where i learned everything i know about sewing...
  • That bag is awesome! I really want to learn to sew. My grandma has a sewing machine that she never uses anymore. She used to make dresses for my teddy bear. I think I'll ask her if I can have it.

Craftser is amazing. I just end up staring at all the projects and not trying to make any of them.
  • let's try this again... my latest creation:

• Oooh, I really like that top, Darbie!
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ May 29 2008, 10:14 AM)
    Oooh, I really like that top, Darbie!

thank you!..
    didn't quite turn out like i planned since i still don't really know what i'm doing, haha... but i think it's my favorite thing i've made so far...
  • Woah, Darbie, that top is gorgeous! As is the purse, by the way - I must have missed this thread last time you posted. Did you follow a tutorial for that, or was it just pure inspiration? Either way, it's great!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 29 2008, 11:37 AM)
    Woah, Darbie, that top is gorgeous!

thank you!.. the top was inspired by a dress that i saw, i'm not big on dresses (plus it was $200) so i decided to make a shirt version of it, i just sorta made it up as i went along, haha... the arm holes ended up too big though (you can't tell in the pic since i have my arms down), i gotta try and figure out how to fix that today...

for comparisons sake, here's the dress that inspired the top:
  • Wow, made it up as you went along?? That's genius!

I once sewed a fisherman's type hat, a cushion and a bag in my textiles class at school. Then the teachers stopped me and my friend from going anywhere near the sewing machines when we sewed our uniforms together. While we were wearing them. laugh.gif I was pretty terrible at sewing...

Darbie, I don't suppose you'd make tops to order, would you? wink.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 29 2008, 11:57 AM)
    Then the teachers stopped me and my friend from going anywhere near the sewing machines when we sewed our uniforms together. While we were wearing them. laugh.gif I was pretty terrible at sewing...

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Darbie, I don't suppose you'd make tops to order, would you? wink.gif

i'm planning on taking a course or two this fall on fashion design so i can learn the proper ways of constructing clothing, after i complete that i probably will start selling online... right now i just wouldn't feel right selling clothes since i still don't entirely know what i'm doing and am not sure of their durability in the long haul...
  • ^^ Ahh, good point. Sounds good. When you're ready to dispatch to the UK, let me know smile.gif
  • Wowza, Darbie, I love the purse and the top!! Gorgeous!
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ May 29 2008, 09:49 AM)
    for comparisons sake, here's the dress that inspired the top:

^^Pretty. But your top is way better! I want one! How did you manage to just take a picture and turn it into your own creation? That's so amazing.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ May 29 2008, 09:51 PM)
    How did you manage to just take a picture and turn it into your own creation? That's so amazing.

just the way my head works i suppose... thank you!..
  • combining my love of sewing with my love of dot dot dot:

yeah, i made the shirt, i tried to give it puffy sleeves, but that didn't really work out, though it was my first succesful time doing a neck binding!.. then i tried to free hand their logo on there, but uh, i didn't really have the patience to get it right, haha... the fabric i used was some rayon blend, so i was afraid to stencil it 'cause i thought an iron would melt it...