In this Discussion

Retailers in Trouble

edited November -1 in General Discussion

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/artic...;t-Shop-in-2009

So what do you think? Do you think some of these stores will indeed go under? I hope Ann Taylor doesn't. I'm surprised Sears is on the list!

Comments

• no! not the piercing pagoda!

anyways, sears just closed their biggest location in calgary recently, who knows what the space will be used for now, its like 3 or 4 floors in the middle of downtown calgary on the train line. i dont know how many stores can afford that sort of real estate in this economic climate
  • we have lost alot of old standing shops in England the last few months, with a predicted 50 more to go under this year..
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Jan 23 2009, 12:15 AM)
    no! not the piercing pagoda!

anyways, sears just closed their biggest location in calgary recently, who knows what the space will be used for now, its like 3 or 4 floors in the middle of downtown calgary on the train line. i dont know how many stores can afford that sort of real estate in this economic climate

The problem is that, when big retailers go in and build new stores, they basically make buildings that can only really function as stores, especially in the suburbs. If you look at urban renewal in big cities, all sorts of places - for example, that high-rise train line in NYC that became a housing complex or the Musee d'Orsay in Paris which was once a train station, but is now a museum - people have found some really creative ways to reuse buildings. But out in the suburbs, where big box stores are designed in the middle of huge parking lots in shopping complexes as nothing other than big box stores, there's really very few ways to reuse those spaces other than to open a new store, and it's virtually impossible to make the space smaller if the company needs to downsize.

So, basically, everyone needs to stop building all their Lowes and Wal-Marts and Targets to be only that and start rethinking how they see retail and residential space in the suburbs, especially with the threat of so many stores going under.

Or, ya' know, just stop building so much...grr.
  • QUOTE (Tempe Arizona @ Jan 22 2009, 09:00 PM)
    http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/artic...;t-Shop-in-2009

So what do you think? Do you think some of these stores will indeed go under? I hope Ann Taylor doesn't. I'm surprised Sears is on the list!

Sears has been having trouble for a long time. Especially when they merged with KMart. I hardly ever seen K-Marts and there are new JC Penney's and Belk stores going up, but definitely not new Sears. A lot of stores and resturants are going out of business or shutting down stores here. I think the only stores that are doing better are McDonald's and Walmart. Everything else is suffering through this recession.