In this Discussion

Migrating the Message Boards

Comments

• jennyhp said:

So is this the new location then? Doesn't look any different to me... just had to get my password reset because it wasn't signing me in from Facebook anymore. Cool

Nope, same location. Josh is talking about "classic boards" connected to EMI in some form or fashion. I joined the board here RIGHT after the move, so I didn't have anything to migrate over to okgo.net's site board.
  • DJRose said:

Hey Josh, I got your PM, and I'm trying to reply.  The interface, unfortunately, is a complete mess and I can't see what I'm doing.  Everything's all over the place.  I was barely even able to read your original PM (don't worry, I got a screen shot for you too so you can diagnose the code issues).

Can you send me an email?  My addy is RachelSchain at gmail.

Hey, Josh?  I think I'm having the same problem as Rachel with the PMs. I can see the list, I can't click on any entries and the text of the last message I could read is laying over the list.

Did you know you were going to be so popular, so fast, Occasional OK Go Agent? Laugh
  • Debbie aka Snack_Cakes is having a somewhat different problem, but is perhaps the same as DJRose and violetchaos364. Here's what she sent me:

it wants me to reset my password but it's using another account (called

"snack__cakes, not "Snack_Cakes") that I set up when we migrated last

year. I know if I reset that one I"ll not only lose my posts (only 200,

no big deal), but I'll also be stuck with the lowercase, double spaced

snack__cakes ID (which I don't want).

It sounds to me like Rachel and Amber did the same thing and ended up at zero post count. Debbie's not so concerned about that, but she'd rather have that specific username.

And apologies if using real names versus usernames is confusing.

• Hey guys. Big apologies to all. This is the first major upgrade since Andy moved the boards last year, and I think we're experience some weird residual turbulance from that. I'll do my best to fix all this over the next few days. My first task here is to try to get a grasp on the scope of problems. You guys are all really understanding, but ideally I'd like you all to be able to keep your post counts and stuff -- after all, that's part of the fun of the boards! Before I chose tactics on fixing this stuff, though, I need more info about how many users are effected, etc.

Some specific questions:

• If you lost your post count, when did you open your account? I hoping this didn't happen to all the migrated accounts. Can someone disprove this theory (ie, did it happen to you but your acccount was created on the new board?

• @Snack_Cakes (via becky i guess) -- how do you know it's using the other account? It would be very helpful if you wrote a transcript of how this happened ("website asks for password, click login..."). -- if you've avoided doing the password reset, hold off for a day or two if you can. I might want to have you try something else.

• @DJRose, Amber, others: Is that true that the same thing happened to you? It made you reset password, etc? If so, what account are you using now?

• When you were reset, did anyone notice having negative post count? Or was it zero for everyone?

• @beckysioux: your avatar's broken above. is this coincidence? anyone else have broken avatars?

For now you can respond on this thread, but I should be able to fix PMs this afternoon (famous last words, right?Wink). After that please PM me any observations or questions.

Thanks again for being understanding & helpful. We're trying to make the board more standardized & up-to-date, so in the future these upgrades will hopefully go unnoticed! Also, our goal is to finally implement some features y'all have asked for in the past & give some folks moderator status. In the long run, I think things will run very smoothly!

josh

Who sneaks around in the middle of the night and occasionally knocks stuff over
  • THANKS JOSH! Big love to you!

Here's my deal:

Lost post count: I joined AFTER the great mirgration, so I've only been on this board.  I didn't notice my post count until someone mentioned it, and at that point it was about 2.

I'm linked through FB. I did not have to reset any pass words. I still have access to the database. My avatar disappeared, but I just uploaded a new one.

Best of luck, Josh!
  • Thanks very much Josh! The new features are great—the ability to edit previous posts is especially welcome!

I just logged on to ask about that Facebook link, and then saw Amber's post. It seems like that could be the difference. I am unaffected, and my account is not linked through Facebook. What about other people?
  • I emailed Snack_Cakes about the issue, but haven't received a response yet.

I came over from the old boards and my account was integrated. I have managed to keep my post count through the initial integration/migration and this update. How? No idea. But I do knock on wood at least once a day.

As for my avatar, I have no idea why it went buh-bye.

And! I got an email that said I had a PM here! Thanks for updating that. I know that this will be beneficial to those who visit the boards but don't log in every time. 
  • I dont log in through facebook, i just logged in as normel and

have had no problems, well not yetWink
  • Thanks for all the info guys -- keep it coming. I'm starting to get a clearer picture. The facebook login is definitely one thing I have to look into. 

I guess we might as well keep posting here about account problems, but you can now PM me too! PM should be fixed, thanks in part to the new skin. Let me know if you see anything that's significantly fixed or broken by the skin change.

josh

breaker of things, then fixer of things, then breaker of things again. 
  • Hey, Josh, I happened to pop on while you are/were here.

PM working fine, thanks! The new skin is so pretty - and more importantly, appears functional! Haven't explored too much else, yet, but will keep you aprised of any developments.

Thanks, again, Oh Captain of Breaking, Fixing, and Breaking.
  • I don't know if this is related to the updates or not, but I'll mention it anyway:

When I attempt to log in now it always takes me to the WP page, possibly wanting a password change, and when I click to go back, it kicks me back out and upon a second sign in sends me to the main/news page even though I was on the forum when originally logging in.

I don't understand why it's taking me to the WP dashboard in the first place, because nothing needs updating there, I don't normally get sent there (though sometimes, before, logging in would send me to the main/news page, but not always).

I joined the board after the migration, I don't use a Facebook sign in, and my post count & avatar remain, so this may not be related, but it would be nice not to have to log in twice and then still be on the wrong page.

Thanks for your breaking and fixing efforts so far!
  • Sometimes when quoting posts, I've noticed that the text goes past the border and it gets cut off.

Oh, and I really like the new message board. It's awesome.
  • jo5h said:

Thanks for all the info guys -- keep it coming. I'm starting to get a clearer picture. The facebook login is definitely one thing I have to look into. 

I guess we might as well keep posting here about account problems, but you can now PM me too! PM should be fixed, thanks in part to the new skin. Let me know if you see anything that's significantly fixed or broken by the skin change.

josh

breaker of things, then fixer of things, then breaker of things again. 

the new skin looks s-weet, thanks for breaking, fixing and breaking Josh hahahaha!
  • Love the new skin, awesome job Josh, looking great Laugh
  • Josh, here's the reply from Debbie aka Snack_Cakes:

Thanks Josh (and Becky)!
    Here's what happens when I try to log in:

I enter "Snack_Cakes" (my last account name) and password.
    Following message appears, "ERROR: Invalid username. Lost your password?"
    I click on "Lost your password?"
    Site asks for "Username or E-mail:"
    I enter "Snack_Cakes" and click "Get new password"
    Site replies "ERROR: Invalid username or e-mail."
    I enter my email address and click "Get new password"
    Site replies "Check your e-mail for the confirmation link."

(Here's the problem) The Password Reset email states that my username is "snack__cakes".
    If
    I remember correctly, "snack__cakes" is another account that I opened
    last year when I had trouble migrating. I somehow managed to create two
    separate accounts, but I only used the "Snack_Cakes" account. And yes,
    "Snack_Cakes" is linked with Facebook, whereas "snack__cakes" is not.

I hope I've explained my problem clearly.
    I'm
    wondering though, if I do reset with the "snack__cakes" account, would
    it be possible to change the username? If so, I can just use that
    account since I don't mind losing my post counts.
    But I won't reset my password until I hear from you first.

Thanks again for all the help!
  • Hey Josh, thanks for everything!  I'm loving the new skin.  :D
  • I'm back!  I lost my post count and I'm listed as a new member, but I'm still Snack_Cakes.  Yay!

Thanks Josh!  I emailed you regarding the log in.

And thank you, Becky, for relaying my messages.Smile
  • Hey Josh, Sorry I haven't responded yet.  It was a busy busy weekend.  I think I've figured out the problem - I sign in through Facebook.  So even though I've had my account for a little more than 4 years, that's probably the problem.

I didn't have to reset my password, but it did require me to put in an email address.  Once I put in my email address it worked.  I think that the reason my avatar didn't break is that I use Gravatar. 
  • @DJRose -- No prob, thanks (to all) for all the good info along the way. It's definitely an issue with facebook logins, but I'm still scratching my head about some of the details!

Currently, my main curiosity
    is this -- I changed some stuff about a day ago & I wonder if
    anyone who had *previously* had to reset password or whatever has had *new* problems logging in?

Also, all, I'm very glad to hear the positive feedback about the new board skin. I was planning to wait, but when the PM broke I had no choice! FWIW, the current setup /should/ be pretty friendly to mobile devices, too -- curious to see how that works out in reality!

jo5h

just scratching my head...
  • I am posting from my phone.

Oh Em Effin Gee.

I think I fell in love with you Josh. Figuratively speaking of course.