In this Discussion

New Label?

13»

Comments

• QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 11 2010, 09:21 AM)
    You also have a rather good reference, laugh.gif!

I have a fucking good reference!

Also, yes re: radio. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong in my limited knowledge of how radio works, but aside from college and indie stations where DJs kinda' get to do whatever they feel like, what gets played is kind of decided by what promos are being sent in and who's paying to get what song played and other random crap like that. It has a lot less to do with whether or not a record is good or whether or not people, who probably haven't heard it, will like it.

I mean, look at their biggest hit so far, HIGA - I don't think I ever heard that on the radio. Like, ever. Granted, I don't listen to radio much, but I don't remember much talk of it on the radio, either. And HIGA, let's be honest, was probably a lot more mainstream radio-friendly than much of the Blue album.

Anyhoodle.
  • Yes, my darling personal invisible robot, you are correct. The process of what gets played vs. what doesn't is more involved with monetary backing and this ridiculous testing procedure (that doesn't actually give anyone a chance to like a song that isn't by a band they don't already love) than with the DJs picking and choosing what they think is worthy. Radio is flailing, hardcore, and has been for several years now. They're a lot like the major labels - they aren't making the money they want to be making and so they're trying all the stuff that used to be tried and true. They should be taking risks and trying new things, but they're too afraid to.

Anyhoodle is right.

There's one quote that I think needs to be addressed on the boards:
    "We'd like to thank the people who have worked so hard on our behalf," said OK Go singer Damian Kulash, who will discuss the band's departure from the label on NPR's "All Things Considered" today. "And we'd like to thank our fans for making this choice an easy one for us."

Awww, you're welcome, guys. You're just so darn easy to love.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 12 2010, 02:25 PM)
    There's one quote that I think needs to be addressed on the boards:
    "We'd like to thank the people who have worked so hard on our behalf," said OK Go singer Damian Kulash, who will discuss the band's departure from the label on NPR's "All Things Considered" today. "And we'd like to thank our fans for making this choice an easy one for us."

Awww, you're welcome, guys. You're just so darn easy to love.

Aww...that's sweet! That kinda made my day smile.gif

Here's the interview on NPR for everyone who didn't follow it!

http://themusic.fm/2010.03.10/stream-npr-i...launching-label
  • BUMP!

In case you didn't see their tweet: Our new album is now back on iTunes & all places digital as the 1st release on our new label! iTunes link: http://bit.ly/iotbcots  And there's two extra tracks on there, one of which was not available for purchase before: TTSP (Passion Pit Sunday Hangover Remix)

Itty-bitty article here: OK Go Forms New Label, Signs With RED

• I thought this would be the best place to put this interview because it's another rehashing of the decision to go indie.  It's a good read though.  Damian interview starts about halfway down the page, a little past that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/strongde-evolution-indie_b_652153.html

• Thanks for posting that Rachel...I love Mark Mothersbaugh, and even though it tread familiar topic territory, the Damian interview is good (plus, I'm going to reference it/a quote from it in a piece I'm working on, so thanks for making my job easier!).