In this Discussion

Brown/Pink EPs

edited November -1 in OK Go
Ok, so... (ha. ha. ha.)

My wife and I were cruising Kotaku and saw an article on the Rube Goldberg "This Too Shall Pass" video. Ok Go hadn't really been on our radar for quite a while, but we checked the video out. Of course, we loved the hell out of it, and loved the song. We spent the remainder of the evening catching up on missed videos and music from the band. Working backward, we recalled when we first saw them...

Eons ago, before the earth was formed, I dragged my wife to a TMBG show. While we were standing in the queue outside, some guys were passing out bumper stickers. We grabbed a few and I looked and saw it was promo swag for the opening act. Looking at the name, I said to my then girlfriend "Hey. I've heard of these guys!" (Mostly glances at fliers for shows while seeing concerts in Chicago.) The guy handing out the bumper stickers (one of the members, turns out, though I honestly can't remember whom) stopped, gave me a shocked look, and said "Really?? Cool!!" I think he was shocked that anyone in Indiana had ever heard of "rock music". So the opening band starts, and the first song is "Jessie's Girl". Karen & I looked at each other and said "This is NOT a good start." Needless to say, we anticipated a long and terrible warmup. It's been almost 8 years since, so the setlist is a little fuzzy. The song that turned the whole thing around was "Unrequited...". That blew us away. That, and "Panic". Karen is a huge Smiths fan. After their set, we scrambled for the merch table and bought the two EPs... with our last $6, no less! After the night wrapped up and we headed for the door, the guys were by the front just hanging out. We walked up to them and asked if they'd sign the EPs. They looked at us like we each had seven heads. Damian and Tim about tripped over themselves to get Sharpies. Super cool.

We were trying to hunt down the EPs we bought and found the Pink one, but are at a total loss as to where the Brown one ended up. When I saw the Buy link on the official page, it seemed to good to be true... and it was.

In closing... does anyone know where I can acquire the music that comprises the Brown EP? (Someone has one on eBay, but I don't feel like paying $10 + $4 SH for a CD I paid $3 for 8 years ago.)

PS - I bought the ST album back in the day and thought it was really good. Didn't completely cotton to some of the changes from the demo versions, but it was otherwise cool. Haven't listened to them since, but bought the new album just after checking out the "TTSP" video. Thanks for winning me back, OK GO!!

TIA

Comments

• UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you saw them play "Jessie's Girl" and "Panic" LIVE? I kind of hate you for that. I have recorded versions of those, if you want them...

And give me a minute on the EPs...

• Sorry I don't have more information for you, djjelloman. But welcome to the boards and thank you for sharing such a sweet story. I enjoyed it very much.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 13 2010, 12:58 PM)
    UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you saw them play "Jessie's Girl" and "Panic" LIVE? I kind of hate you for that. I have recorded versions of those, if you want them...

And give me a minute on the EPs...

On a half-related note do you have recordings of:
    Pretty in Pink
    I Want You to Want Me
    Baby's in Black
    Train
    DYMNZ Rap
    I Want You to Want Me
    Prove My Love

I would lovelovelove to steal them from you if you do!
  • QUOTE (hyannah77 @ Mar 15 2010, 08:10 PM)
    On a half-related note do you have recordings of:
    Pretty in Pink
    I Want You to Want Me
    Baby's in Black
    Train
    DYMNZ Rap
    I Want You to Want Me
    Prove My Love

I would lovelovelove to steal them from you if you do!

I'm pretty sure recordings of "Pretty in Pink," "Baby's In Black" and "I Want You To Want Me" don't exist. Ummm I believe the DYMNZ rap is the "Women + Men" rap, right? 'Cause I have that. And I have "Prove My Love," but only as a version I ripped off a YouTube video. It was the best quality, most complete version I could find, but it's also not something you should listen to if you're an audiophile and bad quality makes you rip your hair out.

I posted screencaps of all the OK Go songs I have over on the All-Known songs list, but I think that maybe have changed since then. I keep meaning to move it all over to my computer, and was going to do that this week, except I don't know where I've placed my iPod connector cord....
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Mar 17 2010, 01:17 AM)
    I'm pretty sure recordings of "Pretty in Pink," "Baby's In Black" and "I Want You To Want Me" don't exist. Ummm I believe the DYMNZ rap is the "Women + Men" rap, right? 'Cause I have that. And I have "Prove My Love," but only as a version I ripped off a YouTube video. It was the best quality, most complete version I could find, but it's also not something you should listen to if you're an audiophile and bad quality makes you rip your hair out.

I posted screencaps of all the OK Go songs I have over on the All-Known songs list, but I think that maybe have changed since then. I keep meaning to move it all over to my computer, and was going to do that this week, except I don't know where I've placed my iPod connector cord....

Oh, I have women + men, somehow didn't click that that was the same thing. I remember someone saying years ago that they had a live recording of Pretty in Pink, but it never ended up on the songs account, and they probably weren't being truthful but it makes me always hopeful.
  • Why are you calling it the DYMNZ Rap, and Katy, how on Earth did you figure out that it was Women + Men?
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Mar 17 2010, 04:09 AM)
    Why are you calling it the DYMNZ Rap, and Katy, how on Earth did you figure out that it was Women + Men?

I saw it on the list of all OK Go songs, and thought it was something I'd never heard before. I never would've figured out that it was Women + Men, so I have no idea how she did.
  • Ummmmmm I think someone told me once that they were the same thing. Although I could be totally wrong, who knows.
  • After doing a little youTube and memory searching, I also recall "Women + Men", "Hold The Line", "Crimson & Clover", "Les Mis" and "Oliver's Army" being performed. I remember being amazed by the crazy amount of covers they played, but given they only had a handful of originals back then, it's not a stretch.

Jedi: Any chance of getting those Brown EP songs? I would be most appreciative! :)

• djjelloman said:

After doing a little youTube and memory searching, I also recall "Women + Men", "Hold The Line", "Crimson & Clover", "Les Mis" and "Oliver's Army" being performed. I remember being amazed by the crazy amount of covers they played, but given they only had a handful of originals back then, it's not a stretch.

Jedi: Any chance of getting those Brown EP songs? I would be most appreciative! :)

Yeah, I have copies of all of those songs - well, "Les Mis" is a rip from a YouTube video, but the rest were passed on to me by fellow boardies.

I always forget, which one is the Brown EP? I have them listed as EP 001 and EP 002 on my iPod...

• jedi_grrlie said:

I always forget, which one is the Brown EP? I have them listed as EP 001 and EP 002 on my iPod...

Bye Bye Baby

We Dug a Hole

It's Tough To Have a Crush

• Yeah. What DJRose said. ;P
  • Okay, well, both are sitting in your inbox. I think the one you want is EP1. Ta da.
  • That was an awesome story,and jedi_grrlie,could you please pm me those ep's as well?I've been searching them for quite a long time.Thanks anyways.
  • jedi_grrlie said:Okay, well, both are sitting in your inbox. I think the one you want is EP1. Ta da.

My inbox here? Hmmm... not showing anything.

• Weird. I totes sent it this afternoon. Let me try again, and if it doesn't go through this time, gimme an email address and I'll send them there.
  • Perfecto! Thanks a mint! Always prefered the EP versions over the LP versions.
  • jedi_grrlie said:Weird. I totes sent it this afternoon. Let me try again, and if it doesn't go through this time, gimme an email address and I'll send them there.

Sorry to be rude and asking it again,but could you send both of them to me as well?

• I was listening to my copy of the Brown EP and I noticed something odd about Bye Bye Baby, maybe it's just my copy but at 0:26 seconds in it suddenly stops at the build up of wood glockenspiel (or whatever it is) and cuts oddly abruptly to the pre-2nd verse guitar solo... is this normal or do i just have a dud copy? (there's no scratches, only ever taken out once and always kept safe and secure)
  • Ok thank you,I really appriciate it.