In this Discussion

Oh Hey Aussies?

2»

Comments

• You're all very much welcome smile.gif

I'm not too sure why people are asking about Damian's head. Seems like something hapened to it at the Melbourne show. Hope he's alright.
  • QUOTE (Sunnyside1334 @ Feb 22 2010, 10:12 AM)
    Why are the people on FaceBook asking Damian about his head?

During the show, Damian went out into the crowd with his acoustic guitar and played 'Last Leaf', when he went to climb back on stage he full-on hit his head on an overhead speaker... For the rest of the night he just looked like he was semi-concussed and just living off adrenaline.

After the show, Tim came out and we asked him how Damian was, and he said he was pretty bad, and had ice strapped to his head and seemed pretty out of it
  • I'm too tired to do a complete novel of what happened.

However it started off with me being 3rd in line, when my best friend arrived we started chatting to the other people in the line and made some friends with some people who came by themselves and looked like they could use the company.

When doors finally opened I went down the stairs and found a poster for the Australian tour hanging up on the wall which I quite swiftly nabbed and shoved in my bag (it is now blu-tacked to my door).

My first thing was to buy some merch, but there was no merch booth, no shirts to buy and no hungry kids of hungary cds to buy sad.gif. So after i pocketed my camera and spare batteries I put my bag in the cloak room.

The next hour and a half involved everyone just sitting around the dance floor chatting amongst themselves, I saw Tim move amongst the crowd with not a single person stirring except for our little group being all fangirly and going "OMG IT'S TIM!!"

QUOTE (LolaBert @ Feb 20 2010, 11:56 AM)
    The opening band was Hungry Kids of Hungary who was really, really good. They're an Aussie band that I'd never heard play before. They were fun and my friend and I enjoyed the leprechaun-like dancing of the tambourine/keyboard player while trying not to get sprayed with his sweat as he played that tambourine with vigour.

By this point, everyone was very excited for OK Go. I got to be right up at the front at the barrier so I wouldn't get squished by the crowd, but there wasn't much chance of this anyone as it wasn't very squishy, people-wise.

Ditto, except I actually heard of them before, I've heard their song "Set It Right" played a few times on Triple J. But seeing them perform and everything really got everyone psyched up. But I really loved their cover they did of MIA's "Paper Planes", everyone around me was doing the pistol gun shooting in the chorus, it was fantastic.

By the sound of Lola's write-up, the same set-list was used for the melbourne gig, and the same sort of experiences occurred minus HKOK throwing frisbees and with Damian smashing his head on the overhead speaker, otherwise the same routine which made for a fantasmic show and performance.

But I agree with the new songs, I was more excited about hearing the new songs than any of the others... I was maybe a bit disappointed they played oh lately it's so quite and then invincible later in the show as an encore, maybe it's because I really didn't enjoy that album, IMHO DWYW, AMW and HIGA are the only good songs from that album (albeit DWYW is only ever good live, i do not like the studio recording one bit), and I was happy that they played those three songs, and the songs from their first album.

The crowd really got into Don't Ask Me and Get Over It, which was awesome because last time I saw OK Go, the crowd was either "i don't know this song, ill bop my head along" or "omg, i love that song im gonna scream my lungs out to it!" but everyone in the crowd seemed to know the songs from the first album, which pleases me most greatly because that album is by far more superior than Oh No.

After the show, when the roadies packed up the gear everyone was playing with the piles of confetti left on the dancefloor... i think for most people there, it was like playing with snow in summer.

Tim came out from backstage, signed some set lists and was happy to get some photos with the fans.

After the show I commandeered the local radio station SYN 90.7fm, and played songs from OK Go and OTBCOTS and whatever else I wanted to play off my iPod for the next 2.5 hours, and then I fell asleep in the studio office.

And that was my night with OK Go!

Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rws24/sets/72157623360084423/
    Facebook photos (inc. HKOH and pics with Tim) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1563...mp;id=566237270
    YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIZY3sweWE - Last Leaf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv--wUch5mM - What to Do (with Hand Bells)
  • QUOTE (RWS @ Feb 22 2010, 04:34 AM)

OMG Damian in shorts. I am in hysterics! Granted, it's not the first time we've seen this, but it's always great.
  • Someone posted the whole 02/18/10 Sydney show!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=helphaba#g/u

Thanks, helphaba!
  • Those are some amazing pictures RWS! In my head, I like to think of Damian and Tim arguing over who gets to wear the shorts at each night's show because they can't possibly both wear the shorts on the same night!!

I kinda wish I stayed behind so I could have met the members of the band. Oh wells.

Wow, helphaba from YouTube shows a lot of dedication for recording the whole show!
  • QUOTE (LolaBert @ Feb 22 2010, 10:27 PM)
    Those are some amazing pictures RWS! In my head, I like to think of Damian and Tim arguing over who gets to wear the shorts at each night's show because they can't possibly both wear the shorts on the same night!!

If they both wore shorts, the amazing would be too much for the crowd to handle. There would be exploded heads all over the venue. They have to take turns for liability reasons.
  • Hey, just 'nother mate here.