In this Discussion

5-15-10 Orlando, Firestone Live

edited November -1 in OK Go

I was going to do a write-up for Orlando, but there wasn't really much to report on. Instead, I'll just post my pics and vids.

Click the drum to get to the pics.

Click the song titles to get to the vids.

Invincible

Needing/Getting

All Is Not Lost

I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe

What To Do on handbells and some banter

Last Leaf

Don't Ask Me I'm never going to get one of those damn tambourines

Get Over It love it when Damian and Andy play off each other

Back From Kathmandu

Debaser even with Damian's little gaffe in the beginning, this is the best Debaser cover of the shows I've seen

Skyscrapers

Do What You Want

Comments

• Don't worry guys, this won't be painfully long like my last report.

First here's the link to my photos.

I also taped TTSP but my camera did a crappy job on the sound so I did some editing with the USB but kept in some of my original audio. Eeek! I really hope that I'm not breaking some laws with this.

I also want to give some credit to the Orlando crowd during Last Leaf. They were totally respectful and you can even hear an "aww" at 1:47. Nice. And was that sweat that Damian was wiping away at the end or something else?

The night couldn't have possibly lived up to Tampa but it was still great. I admit that it was an incredible let down not to see Damian afterward but we had a nice albeit short chat with Tim, Andy, and Dan.

On the other hand, waiting for this show was fantastic. Being first and with a place to sit down was super but then we also had some unexpected entertainment. Before anyone else arrived in line Tim, Damian, and a camera crew came out to tape an interview on the patio next to where we were sitting. Unfortunately our backs were to them so we had to resort to watching everything in the glass doors of the venue (you know, as to not appear like the gawky fangirls we truly are). 

My happy moment of the night came before they started taping when I glanced over my shoulder just as Damian looked over our way. We ended up smiling and waving to each other.Smile  I turned to see Becky wave at who I assumed to be Damian too. I learned later that it was actually Tim she was saying "hi" to and not Damian after all.

By the way, the interview was for Digital Firestarter so if anyone comes across it please post! TIA.

We also got to listen to their soundcheck which Becky recorded here and here. Plus they practiced a mystery song of what we assumed to be a cover. Becky, I wonder if it was "Wave of Mutilation" because apparently they played that in Houston.

A few after show conversations:

I asked Tim if he ate any of the cupcakes that we had given to him in Tampa. He said that the they were gone by the previous night. I hope he meant that they were eaten and not thrown away.

I also had a question from my 10 year old son. Tim is his favorite OK Go guy and he wanted to know his favorite color. My son was happy to learn that they not only share the same taste in hats and musical instruments, but the same favorite color, too (purple).

Also, Becky found her Seedy Seeds CD and was able to give it to him.

Best part:  I asked Tim for a picture "smiling" rather than with his usual "pose" and that was exactly what I got. Check it out. Funny stuff.

I had Andy sign my Cantarell CD and did the brainless "I love this" comment. So stupid, but so true. Then I asked if we could expect any more SDR in the future. I was surprised to find out that he has been working on some stuff! Becky already posted on the Happy List thread that an EP would be out "soon".

Then aross started getting a little impatient and smart-assy which I guess was too be expected since it was almost 2 am and they had a show in Alabama (8 hours away) the next day.

It was a bit of a sad ending to an otherwise amazing 2 days.

• Snack_Cakes said:

Don't worry guys, this won't be painfully long like my last report.

First here's the link to my photos.

I also taped TTSP but my camera did a crappy job on the sound so I did some editing with the USB but kept in some of my original audio. Eeek! I really hope that I'm not breaking some laws with this.

I also want to give some credit to the Orlando crowd during Last Leaf. They were totally respectful and you can even hear an "aww" at 1:47. Nice. And was that sweat that Damian was wiping away at the end or something else?

The night couldn't have possibly lived up to Tampa but it was still great. I admit that it was an incredible let down not to see Damian afterward but we had a nice albeit short chat with Tim, Andy, and Dan.

On the other hand, waiting for this show was fantastic. Being first and with a place to sit down was super but then we also had some unexpected entertainment. Before anyone else arrived in line Tim, Damian, and a camera crew came out to tape an interview on the patio next to where we were sitting. Unfortunately our backs were to them so we had to resort to watching everything in the glass doors of the venue (you know, as to not appear like the gawky fangirls we truly are). 

My happy moment of the night came before they started taping when I glanced over my shoulder just as Damian looked over our way. We ended up smiling and waving to each other.Smile  I turned to see Becky wave at who I assumed to be Damian too. I learned later that it was actually Tim she was saying "hi" to and not Damian after all.

By the way, the interview was for Digital Firestarter so if anyone comes across it please post! TIA.

We also got to listen to their soundcheck which Becky recorded here and here. Plus they practiced a mystery song of what we assumed to be a cover. Becky, I wonder if it was "Wave of Mutilation" because apparently they played that in Houston.

A few after show conversations:

I asked Tim if he ate any of the cupcakes that we had given to him in Tampa. He said that the they were gone by the previous night. I hope he meant that they were eaten and not thrown away.

I also had a question from my 10 year old son. Tim is his favorite OK Go guy and he wanted to know his favorite color. My son was happy to learn that they not only share the same taste in hats and musical instruments, but the same favorite color, too (purple).

Also, Becky found her Seedy Seeds CD and was able to give it to him.

Best part:  I asked Tim for a picture "smiling" rather than with his usual "pose" and that was exactly what I got. Check it out. Funny stuff.

I had Andy sign my Cantarell CD and did the brainless "I love this" comment. So stupid, but so true. Then I asked if we could expect any more SDR in the future. I was surprised to find out that he has been working on some stuff! Becky already posted on the Happy List thread that an EP would be out "soon".

Then aross started getting a little impatient and smart-assy which I guess was too be expected since it was almost 2 am and they had a show in Alabama (8 hours away) the next day.

It was a bit of a sad ending to an otherwise amazing 2 days.

No, it wasn't Wave of Mutilation. I don't know very many Pixies songs, but I know that one thanks to Rock Band. I'm a horrible listener of music, I need to broaden my horizons and listen to more stuff. If anyone has any suggestions...

I digress.

Debbie, I'm pretty sure he meant eaten. And yes, I'm so flippin' happy about the SDR developments. I really hope She's The One makes it on there. If you've never heard She's The One, click here. It is amazeballs.

We also talked to Dan for like 5 seconds. Mainly so I could tell him we had a mutual friend, $tephan from Dot Dot Dot. I think we may have talked about something else, but I don't remember.

Oh yeah, I told aross that when they come back to Chicago for the Q101 Jamboree, they'd be playing on the Cubby Bear stage. First thing out of his mouth, "Is that a Cubs reference?"

And, because I'm a dork, I just uploaded another sound check.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:

And, because I'm a dork, I just uploaded another sound check.

Dork? I think not. I'm happy that you uploaded the sound checks. Thanks!

• Oh no, I'm totally a dork.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:Oh no, I'm totally a dork.

Then I guess I am too.

• Here's the Digital Firestarter interview.

Check out who's sitting in the background at the end of the video (when the interviewer is at the merch table).  You may know the back of those heads.  BTW, we were listening to the sound check (White Knuckles).

• Sorry for my double (triple) posts. I have no idea how to work these boards. I really need a delete button.

• Twisted Firestarter interview… what's up with people who get names and song titles wrong getting to interview OKGo? Curse my messed up recording set up!

I missed this thread before (having not been here in May), but did you guys figure out the mystery song? Do you really think is was a cover, particularly a Pixies cover? Because if so, it might have been "Velouria", which I would love to hear as a full band, non-acoustic version by them ("Velouria" is MY song Smile).

IS "Flash Gordon" really Tim's favourite film??? (This is me now rushing off to delete mentions of it from my Tumblr…) I should probably watch the rest of the interview before I continue typing here, huh? Ok, it's safe. Oh, and nice knees, Damian!

About Flash: When I was eight or nine, I was nearly in very serious accident in a late 1960s or very early 1970s Volkswagon Beetle (more like Dogs In Space than Flash Gordon in that sense), because of Flash Gordon. Well, there was an accident and it could have been more serious, like, deadly serious… My best friend and I were in the back seat and I was entertaining her, and amusing myself, quoting (and purposefully misquoting) the movie, I also recall standing while holding the passenger seat back to reenact some silly bit (Ah the early eighties, seat belts were optional until immediately after this incident).

Then I broke into the theme song (because I also love Queen), only I was making up my own lyrics. When I got to the best part… well, let's just say my friend's mom is not capable of driving safely and laughing hysterically at the same time. Apparently, we lost brake control, causing a spin into a turn as we ran the light, we skidded across 3 lanes against traffic, went up the embankment on the far side of the intersection by the river, and the bug tipped up on its side as we were finally stopped by the line of garbage cans and dumpters behind the diner forming the barrier that kept the car from ending up in the water. I sang/shouted the entire time we were being thrown about the bug (because so many things happening in those slow-motion seconds rhyme with "Flash", like bash, and smash and crash… I ended with, appropriately, "Trash! Aaah-Ahhh." It saved every one of us.

As I think about it now, I realize it could have been fatal (I could have also had the opportunity to scream, "Splash!"). However, I still maintain that even without the threat of a water landing, it would have been a much more serious accident, if we weren't laughing so hard when it happened.

^ Oh look! I'm amusing myself again.^

Bring me… the bore worms!  No! Not the bore worms!

Also:  Math, Math I love you! Because I got 23, more than enough hours to save the Earth!

• Snack_Cakes said:

Here's the Digital Firestarter interview.

Check out who's sitting in the background at the end of the video (when the interviewer is at the merch table).  You may know the back of those heads.  BTW, we were listening to the sound check (White Knuckles).

I think I stopped listening around the time Damian said that they dyed their suits because I don't recall anything about the Tore Johannson stuff or those dumb ass questions. At least I now know that Damian knows who Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite are. I was a Catholic school girl ;)

That's pretty awesome that you can see us. I really hadn't expected to show up like that. Though it is kinda funny that Chaz's aunt was watching the dude "steal" the OK Go stuffs.

ChristelAdina said:

I missed this thread before (having not been here in May), but did you guys figure out the mystery song? Do you really think is was a cover, particularly a Pixies cover? Because if so, it might have been "Velouria", which I would love to hear as a full band, non-acoustic version by them ("Velouria" is MY song Smile).

No. I had recorded it but all I could hear back was the wind blowing and a few notes here and there. I'm almost certain it wasn't another Pixies song. However, I am pretty certain that it was a cover as neither Debbie nor I could place it in their catalog.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • beckysioux said:
    Snack_Cakes said:

Here's the Digital Firestarter interview.

I think I stopped listening around the time Damian said that they dyed their suits because I don't recall anything about the Tore Johannson stuff or those dumb ass questions. At least I now know that Damian knows who Strawberry Shortcake and Rainbow Brite are. I was a Catholic school girl ;)

That's pretty awesome that you can see us. I really hadn't expected to show up like that. Though it is kinda funny that Chaz's aunt was watching the dude "steal" the OK Go stuffs.

The only thing I remembered was the intro (recorded after the interview) since that was the only time I was brave enough to turn around and look. 

I also thought it was funny that Chaz's aunt was watching.  I was much too busy listening to the soundcheck and was irritated by all the noise they were making recording "the theft." 

Not the best interview, but I'm glad that it was done.  It's another reminder of a great weekend.

• ChristelAdina said:

Twisted Firestarter interview… what's up with people who get names and song titles wrong getting to interview OKGo? Curse my messed up recording set up!

About Flash: When I was eight or nine, I was nearly in very serious accident in a late 1960s or very early 1970s Volkswagon Beetle (more like Dogs In Space than Flash Gordon in that sense), because of Flash Gordon. Well, there was an accident and it could have been more serious, like, deadly serious… My best friend and I were in the back seat and I was entertaining her, and amusing myself, quoting (and purposefully misquoting) the movie, I also recall standing while holding the passenger seat back to reenact some silly bit (Ah the early eighties, seat belts were optional until immediately after this incident).

Then I broke into the theme song (because I also love Queen), only I was making up my own lyrics. When I got to the best part… well, let's just say my friend's mom is not capable of driving safely and laughing hysterically at the same time. Apparently, we lost brake control, causing a spin into a turn as we ran the light, we skidded across 3 lanes against traffic, went up the embankment on the far side of the intersection by the river, and the bug tipped up on its side as we were finally stopped by the line of garbage cans and dumpters behind the diner forming the barrier that kept the car from ending up in the water. I sang/shouted the entire time we were being thrown about the bug (because so many things happening in those slow-motion seconds rhyme with "Flash", like bash, and smash and crash… I ended with, appropriately, "Trash! Aaah-Ahhh." It saved every one of us.

As I think about it now, I realize it could have been fatal (I could have also had the opportunity to scream, "Splash!"). However, I still maintain that even without the threat of a water landing, it would have been a much more serious accident, if we weren't laughing so hard when it happened.

I'm double posting again because I can't seem to figure out multiple quotes.

1. Yeah, you would think people would do research/get the info straight before attempting to interview someone.  I've noticed quite a few OK Go interviewers that haven't done their homework.

2. That is one scary story. 

• Holy late pictures, Batman!

I can see me!

Click here to get to the bigger pic.

Click here to get to all the pics from the set.

I kinda remember talking to this photographer before the show. He was clicking through his pics and I saw the smoke trail from the shuttle that was sent into space the previous day. You can see him in my Skyscrapers vid.

Allergic to whole wheat.