In this Discussion

Hangout Music Festival Review 5/16/10

13»

Comments

• He then launched into "This Too Shall Pass." Someone has uploaded it to yt if you'd all like to see. The sound quality isn't great though.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....aqlLXiWcyg

And here be Damian singing "This Too Shall Pass" from my view

• They played maybe 16 songs. It went by soooo quickly. The festival people were motioning for the end. Damian looked at them held up a hand and said, "one more." Then they launched into the crowd pleasing (and my sister's favorite) "Do What You Want."

• Damian Mr. McSmirks-a-lot Kulash

Making the audience sing and clap along, I love how Dan is holding up his drumstick

Then Damian launches into the last line of "Do What You Want," and purposefully stretches the "you" part out for a minute. The rest of the band salutes him during his efforts of not breathing.

And finally the last few cords of the song.

The audience cheers, the lads put down their guitars, take a bow, wave thanks, and leave. Dan comes forward and throws his drumsticks to people in the audience. And with that, the show is over and a little part of me is sad while the rest of me is gloriously satisifed.
  • I said my good-byes to the two girls from Atlanta. On the way out toward the door, I took some more pics of the beach, which was now looking peaceful and lovely with the storm gone.

• I ran into three of the lads afterward. Didn't get to talk to Tim. 

My goodness, Dam has such sparkling eyes! Pictures do it no justice.

I asked Andy for a pic. He said, "And how bout that sunset behind us!" He gestured brilliantly. "What a great backdrop this is gonna be. Let’s get over here."

^^This is now my facebook profile pic. My dental school friends from AZ have no idea who it is and I am enjoying highly confusing them about that. Thanks for helping me play with their heads, boardies.

They were all incredibley gracious and adorable about the dental goodie packages. I kept dropping hints to come to Jackson, MS. I've got to not let it be 3 years again that I wait to see this band.  

• I shall end with pics of the dinner I had that night at the Hangout's restaurant.

The classmate who let me borrow her naviagational system said I had to try the tuna dip. I saw it on the menu and ordered it along with a burger.
    Tuna dip

Hamboiger

As I was leaving, I got a picture of the ferris wheel at night.

And here was the entrance to the venue by night

• WOW Tempe!!

I think this type of story-telling/reviewing should become the norm as its awesome and unique :D

I love how Andy had the idea of using the sunset as the backdrop, thats so cool! Oh and does anyone else get the urge to iron their trousers? They're soooo creased!!! especially Andy's…no I'm not a crazy iron lady *looks around*

Hehe, I've already made a t-shirt to wear to an OK Go concert but probably won't be able to wear it for its purpose for a while. BUT my friend is going to see them on the 25th july so I will type out her review on the board…after I get back from holiday…and she'll be wearing the concert t-shirt I made for her :D :D

• Wow, Tempe, that was an Amazing review!  Thanks so much for putting all that time and effort into it.
  • Yey, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! There were some anticlimatic details I left out. Like getting back to the parking lot and having my ear talked off by Zhenya the Black Sheep—I spend quite awhile listening to the parking attendant tell his life story of living in Russia. I also caught a cold the following week from walking around in soaking wet shoes and clothes. I call it my Beachside Ok Go cold.

As far as the show went, Damian's microphone wasn't as loud as it could've been. But there were no other technical difficulties considering the rain. Damian was busy after the show getting a roadie to do something correctly. He looked flustered, so I didn't want to bother him. I walked away and got on the phone with my sister, deciding not to bother him. But then when I looked up, he was looking at me, smiling and coming toward me. And I just hung up on my poor sister.  

Let's see what I remember from talking with the boys. Damian was very sweet about the fact that he caught me potentially saying "you all" which sounded like "y'all" to him. Dan is the most thoughtful sweetest guy ever and I think he finally got over the fear of the dentist. The first time I ever went on about dentistry, he looked mildly terrified. Andy was a doll. He was thinking of ways to make sure I didn't go three years again from seeing another show. He suggested I go visit Birmingham. For some reason, I've had a recent fascination with that city. Andy thanked me for the dental goodie bags by going, "Thank you for the…" and then motioning in front of his face like he was brushing his teeth. They all seemed game about doing a show in Jackson. It's the stupid venues I have to convince.

But yeah, I thought I'd make a lil write-up this way because I did it this way for my sister; and even though it was rather time-consuming to put together, the result was awesome because it sorta gave the appearance of being in real time. She enjoyed it, so I knew you would too. I wanted you guys in on the action of Tempe in the Deep South, esp because I was thinking about all of you during the trip. Thank you for reading and looking. Smile  

• What a great review and pics.  I read this at work yesterday and when I went outside, I expected it to be raining!  The beach seems to attract the Russians for some reason - I vacation every year at the Outer Banks in North Carolina and there are lots of Russians working in the restaurants and stores there.
  • This is a brilliant recounting! Thank you for sharing your experience. I often relate my rock and roll adventures in a similar manner. It's fun (and I get to relive them in the retelling).

Also, I have been known to take dental care packages to bands on tour too (but I'm not a dentist, so maybe it's weird. I take various things depending on who I'm with or seeing). It's lovely that the guys were so appreciative.