In this Discussion

OK Go apps for iPhone

edited November -1 in OK Go

So, yesterday toiletdog tweets an inquiry about an OK Go app for the iPad/Phone, which reminded me about a tweet Rachel had posted a month or so ago. Rach came up with some great apps. Then I came up with these:

End Love - the break-up line generator app

C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips and other make-up tips app

A Good Idea At The Time - things to do when you're drunk and would never do sober app

What other OK Go related apps can we think up?

Comments

• Well, the Invincible app would be an updated and slightly more hardcore version of the Good Idea at the Time app (Do all the break up lines in the EndLove app begin with "Oh sugar…"? because I don't know if I could handle that.).

Needing/Getting is a shopping app. Correction: a window-shopping app. You take pictures of things you're "needing" which are stored like a wishlist. Later (at birthdays, Xmas, arbor day, etc.), it catalogues the corresponding "getting" item. Example–I was needing: a spa weekend at a resort with infinity pools and tropical cocktails, I am getting: a long afternoon with a kiddie pool in my cousin's backyard and tropical punch.

Edited because it's 2 am and too hot to sleep:

This next app is part backup utility so you'll never lose your contacts and passwords and such; it's part GPS location device, so you can find your way to that seedy dive bar where the secret show is supposed to be and it's part Important Object Locator. The IOL function keeps track of the location of specific items (like your multiple okgo keychains!) when you set them on the hood of a car/leave them in said seedy bar/drop them in a gutter as you stumble home from that sweet secret show/etc., and it tells you where you left them. The true innovation of this app. is that it can do all of that and is also actually able to locate itself. Because obviously, if you're leaving your keys all over town, chances are your phone isn't staying in your possession for long.  But this app can be programmed to call your landline (or your landlord) the next morning, right about the same time as you are mentally retracing your stumbling steps and just mere moments after you begin to freak out from searching all your pockets for the tenth time.  This app will then alert you to its current location ("Third step from bottom, facing Echo Chamber, Pioneer Square" or "Bushes behind neighbors' child's swing set") and it will calmly assure you that All Is Not Lost.

Editing again because I just read Rachel's. My first thought upon seeing this thread was the Get Over It app. And I love the idea of Timdora, but I think my favorite is the Paracadute Pearls of Wisdom. Dogs give the best advice! :) I don't need an app that curses, I do fine on my own (but that could be abbreviated to iDK. I don't think there'd be any confusion with Dan).

• ChristelAdina said:

:) I don't need an app that curses, I do fine on my own (but that could be abbreviated to iDK. I don't think there'd be any confusion with Dan).

^^This. The first thing that my mom said after meeting Damian: "Man, he swears a lot." And she is no stranger to the f-bomb.

Because of the "A sleepless night with OK Go video," I have to say a Shazam-ish app that speaks only in Tim's voice. Also inspired by that video, an alarm-type app that will start playing random songs (Candy Girl LOL) just as you are about to fall asleep. Irritating, but then it also shows videos of Damian dancing to make you feel less angry for having been woken up. You could probably just call it A Sleepless Night with OK Go. 

A Million Ways app: 1,000,000 ways to do anything. I would buy that.

Oh Lately It's So Quiet:  A white noise machine, or a magic app that prevents anyone from talking to you while listening to music with earbuds in.

And one of the most obvious ones I could think of: You're So Damn Hot- a slideshow app that shows an endless loop of pics of the guys (and a tool that lets you insert a pic of yourself in there)

What To Do: Ideas for how you should spend your day.

And for a ridiculous one: In The Glass- A game where the guys are stuck inside a glass container of some sort. Help them escape!

And i saw Rachel's tweet too...it's actually kind of sad. Poor Aross.

• Aleatory said

^^This. The first thing that my mom said after meeting Damian: "Man, he swears a lot." And she is no stranger to the f-bomb.

Because of the "A sleepless night with OK Go video," I have to say a Shazam-ish app that speaks only in Tim's voice. Also inspired by that video, an alarm-type app that will start playing random songs (Candy Girl LOL) just as you are about to fall asleep. Irritating, but then it also shows videos of Damian dancing to make you feel less angry for having been woken up. You could probably just call it A Sleepless Night with OK Go. 

A Million Ways app: 1,000,000 ways to do anything. I would buy that.

Oh Lately It's So Quiet:  A white noise machine, or a magic app that prevents anyone from talking to you while listening to music with earbuds in.

And one of the most obvious ones I could think of: You're So Damn Hot- a slideshow app that shows an endless loop of pics of the guys (and a tool that lets you insert a pic of yourself in there)

What To Do: Ideas for how you should spend your day.

And for a ridiculous one: In The Glass- A game where the guys are stuck inside a glass container of some sort. Help them escape!

Let me just say that a few of your ideas here are actually happening ... I had the In the Glass idea while scripting an imaginary video for the song... Smile 

Unfortunately, I have to go back to the hospital today, so I can't work on that or the other ideas, and we haven't completed the proposal (s) yet because of whatever this stupid illness I'm having is (I think it's heavy metal poisoning, but doctors are loathe to take a non-medical professional's idea seriously until they've no other choice, you know). Anyway. Yeah. I have other app ideas too, but personally, I really want your version of Oh Lately It's So Quiet! That'd be awesomesocks!

Also. Someone once told me, "You'd like Damian." And I said, "Yeah, yeah... cos he's a tall, skinny rock star with a brain and his band plays energetic, melodic pop and knows members of Jellyfish..." And they said, "No, 'cos he talks a lot. And he swears more than you."

Damian Kulash: Making my dirty mouth cleaner by comparison since 1975.  (Imagine the Orbit Gum Lady here :D )

• ChristelAdina said:

Let me just say that a few of your ideas here are actually happening ... I had the In the Glass idea while scripting an imaginary video for the song... Smile 

Unfortunately, I have to go back to the hospital today, so I can't work on that or the other ideas, and we haven't completed the proposal (s) yet because of whatever this stupid illness I'm having is (I think it's heavy metal poisoning, but doctors are loathe to take a non-medical professional's idea seriously until they've no other choice, you know). Anyway. Yeah. I have other app ideas too, but personally, I really want your version of Oh Lately It's So Quiet! That'd be awesomesocks!

Also. Someone once told me, "You'd like Damian." And I said, "Yeah, yeah... cos he's a tall, skinny rock star with a brain and his band plays energetic, melodic pop and knows members of Jellyfish..." And they said, "No, 'cos he talks a lot. And he swears more than you."

Damian Kulash: Making my dirty mouth cleaner by comparison since 1975.  (Imagine the Orbit Gum Lady here :D )

Wait, you're a programmer? That's pretty BA. As much as I would love to learn, my coding expertise extends to "Hello, World" and that's about it, although that's more than a lot of people can say. :)

Someone should give Damian a Costco-sized pack of Orbit at a show sometime. That would be hilarious.  

• Aleatory said:

Someone should give Damian a Costco-sized pack of Orbit at a show sometime. That would be hilarious.  

OMG.  10/29, we are doing this ladies.

• DJRose said:
    Aleatory said:

OMG.  10/29, we are doing this ladies.

Make sure I get credit! And pictures.

• I wish I was clever enough to come up with app ideas as brilliant as these!  I've got nothing.

But YES! to the Orbit Gum idea!  I love it! 

Yet another reason not to miss the Terminal 5 show.

• Okay, this is lame, but how about a There's A Fire app where a virtual campfire comes up and you can roast things(Maybe while sitting next to the guys).
  • soccerkeeper6 said:Okay, this is lame, but how about a There's A Fire app where a virtual campfire comes up and you can roast things(Maybe while sitting next to the guys).

First thing I think of for There's a Fire is a saving things from a burning building scenario…Like a Donkey Kong sort of game but with fireballs and collapsing stairwells. The guys rush around saving stuff, like guitars and other equipment, the Lego sets, BunE and Dora, etc.

But to take your campfire idea step further than what you wrote. There could be a few different parts to the app. One is just what you have, another is "campfire songs", there might be one where Damian and Tim tell a memory from the camp they went to (even if it's the ones we all have heard), there might be one that is a Q & A function …I am assuming there are at least a couple Boardies who have or have seen The Mighty Boosh App "The Mighty Decider" (A campfire is actually Tribal Games' logo, BTW. Maybe they'd be interested? ;)). Anyway, I was thinking something like that. 

• ChristelAdina said:

First thing I think of for There's a Fire is a saving things from a burning building scenario…Like a Donkey Kong sort of game but with fireballs and collapsing stairwells. The guys rush around saving stuff, like guitars and other equipment, the Lego sets, BunE and Dora, etc.

Your idea is so much better! Back to the drawing board for me.Smile
  • Had a bit of thinking time at work:

invincible -- strength training program

no sign of life --- EKG monitor

let it rain -- weather reports

a good idea at the time --  Darwin Awards

don’t ask me -- rhetorical question generator

you’re so damn hot --  positive affirmations read by OK Go member of your choice

1000 miles an hour  -- distance calculator (mph/kph) and/or gas price calculator

shortly before the end --apocalypse preparedness or rapture preparedness (evangelical Christian version)

I totally love all the There's a Fire ideas, including, soccerkeeper, the virtual campfire and toasting things. There is an app a friend has that puts toppings on a cartoon drawing of TOAST! Surely toasting a marshmallow is more exciting. (I've played the toast topping one - strangely addictive.)

Also, the iDK curse generator - I want an option that says, "Shut the fuck up, it's (fill in the blank) time!" That phrase of DK's just makes me giggle.

• I like the "Don't Ask Me" Rhetorical Question Generator. That would be funny.
  • Oh My Little Kitten - locates local animal rescue shelters where you just might find your new best friend

Allergic to whole wheat.