In this Discussion

Future of Music Policy Summit, Washington DC 10/4 and 5 (Black Cat show w/ Bonerama)

edited November -1 in OK Go

Oh ladies.

Oh, OH ladies.

The last few days have been amazing, and I'm a little sad that I have to be the one to start this thread.  It means that you guys haven't been aware of all that's been going on.  I will be getting photos to you all ASAP, and I'm watching the news like a HAWK to find when the archive of the webstream of Damian's Panel from yesterday gets posted.  And when it does you should watch it, and you will see me and Damian chatting with what one observer called "an adorable rapport."  He greeted me by name and asked me for money.  Seriously, it was adorable.

Aaaaand here are my photos:  http://www.facebook.com/album&.....e0cf41c3b5

Comments

• I wanted to go, believe me!  I just can't do an out of town show on a Monday night.

Damian asked you for money?  Did you give him any?  And what did you get in return?!

How was Damian's show?  And what's this about giving a ride to Bonerama?  Spill Rachel!

• And looky what a little birdy tweeted:

That's right, A Million Ways as performed by Bonerama featuring Damian. Oh how I wish someone got a vid of "Here Comes The Girls" and "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide". Not to mention Mike Mills...

• BeverlEy said:

Damian asked you for money?  Did you give him any?  And what did you get in return?!

LOL, no, I did not give Damian any money. 

So I was at the policy summit to actually learn stuff, not to be a fangirl (although I got to do both).  Last year I attended the first day of the summit and learned so much that I was able to put out my very first EP this summer and put it on iTunes and all that business.  Also, I enjoyed it so much that I decided upon returning this year for all three days.  And then they announced Damian's planned attendance.  Bonus.

The story with the money request comes from Damian's panel, and as soon as video goes up you'll all be able to see it.  Basically I got up to ask Damian a question when they opened it up to the audience.  My question was about the merch in the store that was priced upwards of $50-$100 (and the MOAP at $1200).  The point I was making was that if I'm such a huge fan (which, btw, Damian announced to all watching) and I'm not buying it, who is?  I started by saying "I have a limited amount of income" and Damian interrupted me to say "And I want more of it."  That got a laugh out of everyone, and then I responded, "Hold on, let me get my wallet."  That got another laugh.  The upshot of Damian's answer was that the band sells those items to engage us fans, not to make money (although we should be supporting them whenever possible, that does not change).

The concert was amazing.  Bonerama just plain KILLED it.  The setlist for the evening is here, although Craig forgot to mention the cover of "Here Come the Girls" by Ernie K. Doe that Damian did with Bonerama between AMW and Carnival Time.  I asked Craig and Mark to do that song with Damian when I ran into them earlier in the day, and I promised to make a donation to Dear New Orleans if they did.  So I'll be doing that on Pay Day.

• Thanks, Jade.
  • http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2010/10/15/first-batch-videos-policy-summit-2010

Look everyone!  It's an HOUR of Damian in conversation.

...and I just want to say that the camera adds 10 pounds and I'm never wearing eyeliner again.  At least not under my eyes.

• Yay I'm glad you found the video *goes to watch*

You get mentioned in this article Rachel :P

http://www.musicthinktank.com/mtt-open/ok-go-goes-3d-an-economic-history-of-ok-go-videos.html

• I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but good god, if I lived with Damian, I would get nothing done. Zero. I would not be able to stop looking at him.  That said, he is very interesting to listen to, I love that he has real opinions and can back them up.  I still wonder how many of those MOAP's they sold.

Anyone else notice the marks on Damian's ear? Looks like an 'x'.

And you looked cute, Rachel.

• BeverlEy said:

I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but good god, if I lived with Damian, I would get nothing done. Zero. I would not be able to stop looking at him.  That said, he is very interesting to listen to, I love that he has real opinions and can back them up.  I still wonder how many of those MOAP's they sold.

Anyone else notice the marks on Damian's ear? Looks like an 'x'.

And you looked cute, Rachel.

Yes, he is so yummy... could look at and listen to him all day!

Just started watching, so I haven't seen Rachel yet, but the ear thing appears to be three piercings and the upper two pucker in a way that looks a bit like an X. I have similar puckering in my left ear. (A weird thing to have in common with DK... Confused)

• Thanks, Beverley! 

The whole conference was an awesome opportunity, and I hope I get to go back next year.  Even if Damian hadn't been there it would've been an invaluable experience for me.   

• Thanks for sharing, Rachel! (: 

Now if only they could get Damian's name right... o.O

• laydeejol said:

Thanks for sharing, Rachel! (: 

Now if only they could get Damian's name right... o.O

I KNOW RIGHT, IT HURTS when I see that they get it wrong. ahahahaha

awesome pictures! <3

• Yeah, I know.  I'd mention it to the FMC people I know, but I'm pretty sure they already think I'm obsessive, so...