In this Discussion

Louisville 12 Oct 2010

edited November -1 in OK Go

The guys played a free outdoor show at the University of Louisville, KY, on Tuesday night. Weather was warm, overcast but pleasant. Another fun show. My first time seeing the blue, yellow, green & red suits.

Biggest news is that they played "In the Glass" live for the first time. !

Becky can report the set list, since she took a picture of it. She and Debbie hit Louisville on their almost-week-long tour. I drove down from Cincinnati with Hannah and her mom. We met OneCheekyHobbit and her friends. Always nice to meet more boardies!

We picked up new t-shirts and USB drives. I really like my bright blue shirt with stylized ramps and a silhouette of a little white dog at the top. :)

Highlights of the show for me were:

1. The kid they pulled up on stage to play guitar during HIGA. He was awesome, really good and fun to watch. The guys seemed to like him, too. We cheered really loud for him at the end.

2. Damian recognizing me when he came out into the crowd during This Too Shall Pass, to close the show. We were both singing at the tops of our lungs in a sea of people, and it was great.

3. Playing in the piles of red, white, and blue confetti with a two-year-old boy after the house lights came up. This was seriously an all-ages show, on both ends of the dial. Yay! Becky laid down and made a confetti angel. Debbie laid down next to her and we piled confetti on them and took a picture. They looked beautiful and happy.

Mid-week OK Go shows are the bomb. I recommend it. I also recommend taking the next day off work; unfortunately, I wasn't able to do that, and I'm still tired.

Also, I sill have confetti in the back seat of my car. I like the idea of OK Go confetti ending up randomly scattered across the U of L campus, randomly scattered across the U.S. If we could record confetti sightings and make an infographic, it would look like a population density map.

I posted some pictures on Flickr.

The show was good. Very glad I went. Very glad to go with people I know, People Who Understand, as Becky and I like to say.

Comments

• Sounds like so much fun, Suzanne!  I so wish I was there with you guys!  It always makes me a little sad to think of shows where more than 2 boardies are in attendance and I'm not one of them.  At least I know I'll get to see you in a few weeks. :-D

Huzzah for people who understand!!!

•   October 12, the University of Louisville hosted Discover Louisville Festival. The goal was to make people aware that the campus is not all concrete and right angles. It was not what I expected an urban campus to be. The campus was clean, modern buildings and older brick buildings complimented each other nicely, there were many beautiful tall trees, well tended flower beds, and frolicsome squirrels. And they have a monumental-size bronze cast of Rodin's The Thinker!! I want to take his face in my hands and kiss his furrowed brow. 

The sky was showing signs of stormy weather. We could see sweeping rains in the distance as we drove into the city and there were a few sprinkles along the way but it held and was pleasant the rest of the night. Thanks for driving, Sureeyesawake!

There were only a few people gathered at the stage when we got there but front and center were Beckysioux and Snack_cakes! It was great to see them again. OneCheekyHobbit, whom I had not met before, was there with some friends but they stayed in Andy Land. There was also another Momma in attendance besides mine. Hi, Sheila! It is always nice to meet other boardies.

We enjoyed two opening bands. First Summer Darling. At one point Tim came out and played a song with them. During this, one of the guitarist put on a fake mustache and glasses (to look like Tim) and we got a laugh out of it. I loved how these guys (and lady) made their guitars really sing. You could feel their harmony in your chest. I was in band all through school and I miss that resonance.

Company of Thieves came next. The lead singer of this band had a good stage presence. She's very animated, very cute.

And then it was OK Go time!! They now have two confetti cannons creating an absolute confetti blizzard. Their new suits are gorgeous. Damian was styling his gaffer tape belt as usual. They have reconfigured the set-list. Do What You Want was first; TTSP was the last encore (LED jackets but no furry laser guitars). Stage banter was lacking except before TTSP. Damian asked Tim to judge the audience's participation of “Let it go. This too shall pass”. Tim chided the audience about not being as exuberant singers as at UK (University of Kentucky), U of L's rival, which being from Kentucky and a UK fan I quite enjoyed. (EDIT: Damian did tell the TOUCHDOWN!! story) During one of the songs my mom elbowed me and said “Oh he does have a cute smile, doesn't he?” meaning Damian. I got a laugh out of that. I've been trying to convince her of his allure for almost a year. They performed In The Glass for what they said was the first time. I closed my eyes so I could focus more clearly on the music and what I heard was perfection. At one point during the concert Damian lost the top button off his blue shirt. When he came back out for encore he had it pinned, crookedly, with a safety pin. That cracked me up, him being all modest.

After the concert, and after playing in the confetti, we stopped by the bus and talked to Tim, Andy, and Dan. Damian had already left (and I had a gift for him, sniffle). My mom (her name is Sunday, by the way) went completely silly(!) for Tim and insisted on a picture. It was nice to talk to OneCheekyHobbit a little more too. We found out that we are from the same hometown!

I got home at 2 a.m. the next morning and had to be up at 6 a.m. but it was well worth it. We had a great time!

• I love Dan in the green suit, he looks awesome.  And yay for confetti blizzards!

I'm kind of sorry they are opening with DWYW, I always liked that song as a closer.

• Oh, yeah, I forgot about them opening with DWYW. Those of us who saw them more than a dozen times on the Oh No tours were like, "Is the show over??" since they used to close with that one every time. :)

Yes, Rachel - two weeks from tonight!!

Also, last night was the four-year anniversary of the day I first met Damian, Dan, Andy, and Tim. *happy*

• double post, sorry. my internet's acting funny.
  • I just looked through the recent Flickr pics and Damian still seems to be missing that button. 

• What great write-ups, ladies!  I gotta say though, I am glad they're not closing with DWYW anymore.  See, as much as I love that song as a closer, it was starting to mean "The Show Is Over" to me.  Which means being sad.  So now I can be happy when I hear it again, because it will mean "The Show is Starting!"

Also, Adam hates how Damian closes DWYW with the "yeah" responsorial.  I don't know why, he just does.

• Here's a pic of the set list:

The rest of my pics are here.

Debbie and I got to UofL around 4 or so. While we were waiting for the gates to open, we got to hear the boys sound check In The Glass. Since I had heard them sound check WTF? while not performing it at a show before, I didn't think that we'd actually hear In The Glass that night. But we did!

Anyway, Debbie and I had made my patented Chocolate Chip-less Chocolate Chip Cookies (brown sugar cookies) and purchased some very brightly colored/flavored popcorn for the boys. Well, the sign at the entrance said that we weren't allowed to bring in any outside food or beverages. But we kinda made friends with the guy that was going to be checking bags at the gate we were waiting at. We told him that the cookies were for the band and asked if he wanted to try one. At this point, only Debbie and I had had a cookie, so having him try one was nice so that we could judge if the cookies were good or not. He said they were edible. Not the best of compliments on my cookies, but I'll take edible over vomit-inducing any day of the week. Before we were allowed in, he "checked" our bags and told us and the other person working the gate that we could go right in when they opened. We thanked him for being a really nice guy and we hoped that he would stick around for the show. To my knowledge, he probably left after his time was up at the gate.

Debbie and I walked briskly to the stage and planted ourselves in Damian's Domain. Summer Darling and Tim were sound checking Ride This Wave. I had assumed that he was just having fun and that was it. I waved at Tim and he waved at me while we were waiting for the sound check to finish. Before he got off stage, I gave him the cookies. I told him they were Chocolate Chip-less Chocolate Chip Cookies and that he should share with everyone. He thanked me and off he went.

We waited for a while and then spotted Kamilla and her friends, we said hi and I gave Kamilla a hug. Then Suzanne, Hannah and her mom showed up. We talked while we waited. Hannah had a gift for Damian, as did I, though Hannah's was much more impressive. We also took a pic while we waited.

Summer Darling came on and rocked it. I think they tweaked their set from the Chicago show and it made it so much better. Then Tim came out and guested on guitar during Ride This Wave.

Company of Thieves were up next and were awesome as usual. Genevieve has an infectious presence on stage that you just have to like her. The only time I got a little worried was when their keyboardist jumped on his chair and started playing from up on high. I really thought he was going to fall. Thankfully he didn't and they finished their set.

Then we have OK Go. I really don't like it starting with DWYW if only because it means Damian has to scream in the very first song. While I do love it when he screams, I'd rather he kept his voice for the whole show, ya know. Since I was all sneaky, I ganked a pic of the set list and saw that they were indeed planning on doing In The Glass. Color me so happy. You can click the link above to see all my pics and I took the following vids:

Needing/Getting

Invincible (Oh Damian, why do you always switch Decimate and Devastate?)

Y'all have no idea how happy I am to be one of the first people to hear In The Glass performed live for the first time ever. Sadly, the sound really sucks thanks to the monitor I was standing next to. Still, it was breathtaking.

After the show, we went to the bus to meet up with the boys. Damian had already hopped in a van and went back to his hotel for rest. I don't blame him, we'd only been on the road for a day or two and were already exhausted. We got to talk with Tim, Andy and Dan. Tim was gracious enough to take a picture with the popcorn we brought for them.

L-R aross-red-Candy Apple (or candy ass as I like to say), Dan-green-Green Apple, Tim-yellow-Lemon, Damian-blue-Blue Raspberry

Tim kept commenting that the blue ones looked really horrifying. They looked even worse in the yellow light the lamps were casting down on us. I also gave them the little robots I used in my video for Before The Earth Was Round. Then I found out that they hadn't actually seen the video. That made me sad, but then Tim asked if it was mainly focused on robots, I said yes, then he told me that his sister had called him specifically about my video and that he should watch it. He didn't. But that's okay, because he did the next day.

I asked Dan the same thing, he hadn't seen it either. Again, it was okay, because he saw it the next day.

I was finally able to ask Andy about throwing out the first pitch at Dodger Stadium and if he was able to meet his boyfriend, Manny. He said that he had asked if Manny would catch for him, but the Dodgers pretty much said that wouldn't happen. So I asked if he got to talk to him at all, he said that he stood behind him in the dugout. I guess not everyone gets to meet their crush. Then I thanked him for sending him to the White Sox. He said that he thought I was a Cubs fan. I said that when Manny came over the White Sox pretty much crashed and burned. Then he said, "oh".

I'm sure I talked with the guys about more stuff, but I can't recall right now. So, yes, that's my write-up for this show. And I still have one to get to for Cleveland.

And yes, seeing an OK Go show with People Who Understand is one of the best things ever, even if we didn't get to go to Applebee's afterwards.

• Thanks for the write-ups, guys. It's fantastic to be able to relive such an amazing night through your words and memories.

I think this show was my favorite of the four that Becky and I went to last week. They were all special but this one stands out. And yes, it may have had a little something to do with our excellent spots.

Hopefully by my next OK Go show I'll have a camera that takes a decent photo. Meh. Here's my pics anyway.

And some videos:

White Knuckles

What To Do (recorded by Sunnyside... thanks!)

This Too Shall Pass

Of course I also recorded "In The Glass" and "Ride This Wave" but Becky's are posted above. Smile

I'll probably add some more comments to this thread as things occur to me.

And I agree with Becky and sureeyesawake, there's nothing like seeing OK Go with People Who Understand and get IT.

I really do love the Boardies.