In this Discussion

it's tough to have a crush - lyrics meaning

edited November -1 in OK Go

i dont know if anyone has already brought this up (for this song) but i thought it would be fun to pick a song to discuss. i picked "it's tough to have a crush" because it has been stuck in my head a lot the past few days and i have looked for the meaning behind it. upon looking, i found a lot of different ideas for what the song means. here are the lyrics:

(1, 2, 3, 4)
well it's tough to have a crush
when the boy doesn't feel the same way you do
when your best friend breaks the news
perhaps you'll find me feeling better in a day or two
but it's tough to have a crush on you

whoever knew such hulabaloo
when it only leaves you blue
perhaps they'll find you in the river in a month or two
well it's tough (so tough) to crush on you
well it's tough (so tough) to crush on you
yeah it's tough (so tough) to crush on you.

when thinking about it, i seemed to have a different take on it than other people did. in my opinion, Damian is talking about a girl he likes. he is talking about how she is so sad about her crush on another boy and how tough it is for her. but then he says "well its tough to have a crush on you" and he is talking about how tough it is to crush on this girl when she is so focused on another guy. this song is simply talking about how tough it is for boys to have crushes as well as girls.

that is just my opinion. please feel free to share yours!!!

Laugh

Comments

• Tim explained the story behind this in an interview once.  He said the guys were in the studio when a female friend of theirs called up crying over some guy.  They wrote the song then and there, for her. 
  • awe! that is the cutest thing i have ever heard!!! i wish the boys would write a sweet song for me! lol well i guess that explains it. i still think it would be fun for people to give their own opinions about what the song means. it makes me mad when people on youtube ask if they are gay just because of the song lyrics.

Yell

p.s. im totally going to have to look up that interview. i love hearing Tim tell stories! Laugh