In this Discussion

The Way The Boys Have Inspired Me...

2»

Comments

• Thanks Sherib and 'Rose.  I was really shy about telling that story because it takes so much work on the part of the reader to look up all of those links.  Well I am getting a bigger kiln and my next progect involves dichroic glass and the OK Go logo keychain.  I'll post it on th "I Can Has" thread when they are done.
  • Awesome!  I hope it comes out!
  • All these stories are so inspiring! You guys are so inspiring! The OK Go world is so inspiring!

Ways they've inspired me... I've started to learn guitar and keyboards. Write music. Listen to more creative and meaningful music. Wear funkier clothes. Expose myself to as many arts as I can. More importantly, they've inspired me to try and chase my wildest and silliest dreams. I might be a little young, but I'll do them. One day. Because if you guys can, why can't I?
  • magnoliamaggiemag said:

All these stories are so inspiring! You guys are so inspiring! The OK Go world is so inspiring!

Ways they've inspired me... I've started to learn guitar and keyboards. Write music. Listen to more creative and meaningful music. Wear funkier clothes. Expose myself to as many arts as I can. More importantly, they've inspired me to try and chase my wildest and silliest dreams. I might be a little young, but I'll do them. One day. Because if you guys can, why can't I?

'Atta girl, Maggie.
  • Go for it Maggie.  We believe in you.
  • Go Maggie! Laugh

You can do anything. 
  • Aww, thanks guys! 
  • So I know I'm no new hand or anything, and technically I've already posted here and it's a lame post, but I've been feeling more affected by the boys than ever recently.

I've been focusing more on what I want to do recently, and it feels damn good - and it's laregely them who've proven to me that I can do that, rather than focusing on doing what I'm supposed to.

And let me tell you, I have crap days in which I feel like I'm getting nowhere and I'm bad at writing (which is mostly just what I love doing) and I'll never be good enough to actually -be- a writer, but thinking about the fact that they had to start somewhere, and it was confirmed by Trish that at least Damian wasn't always that good at music, always makes me feel a lot better.. and convinces me to keep going, because they've obviously gotten awesome with practice, so I can too.

And basically I love them.
  • Totalgeek42 said:

And let me tell you, I have crap days in which I feel like I'm getting nowhere and I'm bad at writing (which is mostly just what I love doing) and I'll never be good enough to actually -be- a writer
    <snip>

because they've obviously gotten awesome with practice, so I can too.

And basically I love them.

Heck yeah!

I often feel that way too.  It's especially annoying when you come back to something a day, a week, or three months later and find that what you had thought was GREAT actually blows.

But then there will be a nugget of good in the pile of crap and you turn that nugget into gold.

On the "What I thought was great actually sucks!" days, I think of the "I'm a loser, I'm a poser" verse from the song "A Working Day" by Ben Folds/Nick Hornby (thanks to Rachel's FB) and it makes me feel better Laugh

I don't know what you're writing (me = aspiring novelist), but keep at it and you will get better!  Also, after stupidly ignoring such resources for awhile, I've started reading things about "craft" like Sandra Scofield's The Scene Book and it has really helped me get a better sense of what's wrong when I find something sounds wrong, so I can try to fix it instead of just feeling like I suck.

But yeah--seeing folks like OK Go make their lives about seeing their ideas come to life is very motivational.
  • My guitarist unceremoniously dumped me this week (well, at least this week was when I finally got the hint).  I find myself a solo artist for the first time in months. It's stressful, annoying and upsetting.  I have a big show in DC on Saturday, and my confidence is a bit shaken, but I will be pushing on.  I've been rather sad for the last few days.  But you know who I keep thinking about?  Andy Duncan and Andy Ross.  Talk about one door closing and another one opening, huh?  So I will continue to persevere and push on. 

I am really sad, though.  Not gonna lie.