In this Discussion

Future packages...

edited November -1 in OK Go
We've had the Marching Band Package and the MoAP (Mother of All Packages). Now we have The Files, The Album, The Shirt, The Book and The Suits Packages which feature the new live album 180/365.

What packages would you like to see in the future? Or, to quote their twitter: What should we include next time?

I think it'd be swell if they sold the gloves they use during the hand bells portion of their show. Just think, the boys would get new gloves every show and 4 fans (or one, depending on how many pairs a single fan purchased) would get some used gloves from a show.

Broken guitar strings.

Broken mallets (though I think aross figured out how to play the tubular bells without breaking the mallet anymore).

As far as the packaging goes, include the USB of the show that the gloves and/or broken item was used in/for/at. And a tube of confetti.

So, what ideas do you all have?

Comments

• clothing related I thought about the sweatshirts and pants from End Love? 

as for the gloves idea I think it's brilliant - and probably wouldn't cost 750 dollars and there could be a lot more itens to be sold (rather than just four).

and I'm still strong on the idea of having a dvd for Of the blue colour of the sky, sorry. there has to be some extra footage, like the ones they uploaded on Youtube ("we blew out the fuses of the speakers again!"). I love seeing ok go interviews, but people mostly focus everything on videos, videos, videos and to be honest I am so sick of it. I'd like to see the process of the music. the recording, everything they could possibly show. I'm really really interested in that kind of stuff. also, we could have all the videos for the record in one beautiful thing. 

I'm so strong about that idea if anyone would ask me, that's my first answer.

also, a few more demos. even if on the database, but I'M HELL YEAHZ interested in hearing the other demos for white knuckles, for example - and I still wonder why that wasn't on ENE.
  • A DVD for OBCOTS sounds great to me. I totally agree, Laeticia, seeing the process of developing & recording the music is so much fun, and really fascinating. I was couldn't stop watching the 8in8 session (even when it got really late) for much the same reason. Well, yeah, that and Damian on his acoustic guitar and the goodnight-song-that-never-was. I hope THAT makes it into a recorded song along the way.

Actually, having participated in 8in8, seems like Damian might be more receptive to documenting more of OK Go's process. He commented the next day that he'd been skeptical about the webcast, but saw that the people who really got a lot out of it were those who watched (& learned about creating collaboratively & were inspired).

Whether there's more footage from their time in Fredonia, or they take more footage where they talk about the demos and decisions that were made along the way, such a making-of would definitely be interesting to watch.

As for other merch/packages, I would love to see an ACOUSTIC package. OK, I have a particular fondness for the acoustic sets. But often for good reason—for example the pared down, slowed down WK is melancholy and lovely, and there's fingerpicking, so, yeah. I'm sold. ANYWAY, there's an acoustic set on the Spring Tour USB, but there have been many more acoustic performances since then. Again, an interview or discussion would be great—about decisions made (which songs chosen, how they were arranged, tempo changed, and why). So, new USB, and an acoustic package could include picks, as well as guitar strings (as Becky suggests), maybe other items? They need not even be broken strings, I think, as they have guitar techs and probably change out strings frequently for best performance. I would totally buy a "not-so-gently-used" OK Go guitar string, for further use.

I think Becky's glove idea is a great one, they could even be signed with sharpies/fabric markers.

Finally, seems to me the rainbow rockenspeil could be branded and reproduced for fans. I think the very young fans would particularly have fun with this, but, others too. I know there are street bands that are all one instrument—heard one at HONK that was all accordian—what about an all-rockenspeil crew? It'd be a LOT in a high register, but I for one would love to see such a thing in action.
  • PemiBlue said:

A DVD for OBCOTS sounds great to me. I totally agree, Laeticia, seeing the process of developing & recording the music is so much fun, and really fascinating. I was couldn't stop watching the 8in8 session (even when it got really late) for much the same reason. Well, yeah, that and Damian on his acoustic guitar and the goodnight-song-that-never-was. I hope THAT makes it into a recorded song along the way.

Actually, having participated in 8in8, seems like Damian might be more receptive to documenting more of OK Go's process. He commented the next day that he'd been skeptical about the webcast, but saw that the people who really got a lot out of it were those who watched (& learned about creating collaboratively & were inspired).

Whether there's more footage from their time in Fredonia, or they take more footage where they talk about the demos and decisions that were made along the way, such a making-of would definitely be interesting to watch.

As for other merch/packages, I would love to see an ACOUSTIC package.

1) I've seen the guy... ah, my mind went blank, but their friend (don't actually know if he works with them, and he my stalker ways failed)..the one we see on the pics of the boys in Niagara Falls and stuff... there's pics of him, somewhere, taping Damian using the percussion set on the studio... it was a pretty dope/looked professional camera

so I'm pretty sure there has to be some kind of official footage for that. or so, my heart wants to believe <3

sorry i'm such a stalker. I just pay a lot of attention to every detal :P

but I'm sure they will (I hope they will) release something. but they aren't even finished with this album yet!

2) what goosnight song? I DIDN'T SEE THAT :( and where did you read he talked about that (8in8)? link, please?

3) I loved your idea about the acoustic package!
  • Yay! I'm glad you like the acoustic idea. It occurs to me that it wouldn't necessarily need to be new tracks, could be a different way of packaging the existing Ex'pression tracks. Although, the Pop Tech presentation was also great, and I like the way the bells on "Return" (as they're being muted) almost sound like an effect played backwards.

Part of what seems appealing to me about an acoustic package is that the acoustic versions seem really approachable, something a solo player could cover. And of course people do, and it's only to the band's advantage for the songs to be covered more. If chord charts or tabs for some of the songs were included, think what a great gift that would be for someone who was learning guitar, or played but wanted to cover these.  Pick, strings, chord charts, music files. Sort of an OK Go DIY kit. I know they sell a guitar tab anthology, so perhaps that could be part of the package. I would think the acoustic versions differ, but maybe not all that much.

So, the 8in8 comment was during the "Artist Presentation" the next day. Video is HERE.The topic starts at about 22:17, Damian's comment is at 23:33. He says "I think the people who got the most out of it probably were the people watching the web stream. I thought basically that was just sort of like...the most vanity part of it to have people be able to watch, but it seems like people actually engaged with it. Cause we forget that most people probably don't get to spend time in a recording studio, most people don't sort of know what the process of just throwing-shit-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks feels like in a studio, and how collaboration works—especially people who haven't worked a lot together before—and to see people who are pretty good at what they do figuring out how to make the gears mesh."

As for the goodnight song, what I remember (and I was pretty bleary at this point) was Damian playing chord changes on an acoustic guitar, noodling really, in the studio on his own. I had the impression that there were lyrics, and that they were about to start recording. It was going to be the next song. But then someone came in (Ben I think) and said that the consensus was to stop and listen back through the existing songs. What he was playing sounded lovely. Maybe someone else who was watching remembers more about this, or has seen video up?
  • thanks for the post, Heather!

I think all your ideas are great, you should totally work for merch for the boys HAHAHA

but seriously, that acoustic - beginners thing package is such a great idea. I would love to receive that as a gift, since I'm learning guitar just now myself! :)

GUYZ

you know what would be great for future packages?

A PIMP PACKAGE WITH THE OK GO BLING. and since it's pimp, and Tim considers himself the biggest pimp in town (well, he did in my town, at least. and in portuguese) I think it's just a great idea, okay.

loljk

(but serious about the bling though)
  • PemiBlue said:

Pick, strings, chord charts, music files. Sort of an OK Go DIY kit. I know they sell a guitar tab anthology, so perhaps that could be part of the package. I would think the acoustic versions differ, but maybe not all that much.

YES! I was talking about this somewhere else (or maybe here, who knows?), but not in regard to this particular package question/idea thread. I think it's a fabulous idea and it could go along with the acoustic versions and/or be combined with the build you own package ideas. Different pricing tiers might have all of those things plus access (by USB or via a specific password on YouTube or the database) to quick video tutorials/musical insights about a certain sound in a song included in the package from one of the guys.  Does that make sense? Like a 20 second clip of Andy saying, "The way I achieved this sound on the record is by using this pedal and…" or Tim explaining what he does differently on live acoustic versions of whatever song it is.

Maybe that's too much. But I do like the DIY and the acoustic. Way better than my various socks plans. Wink And I really want build your own package options. 
  • PemiBlue said:

As for the goodnight song, what I remember (and I was pretty bleary at this point) was Damian playing chord changes on an acoustic guitar, noodling really, in the studio on his own. I had the impression that there were lyrics, and that they were about to start recording. It was going to be the next song. But then someone came in (Ben I think) and said that the consensus was to stop and listen back through the existing songs. What he was playing sounded lovely. Maybe someone else who was watching remembers more about this, or has seen video up?

I am very sad that I missed this. I hope we get this in the condensed footage...
  • DJRose said:

PemiBlue said:

I am very sad that I missed this. I hope we get this in the condensed footage...
    Is there going to be a condensed footage?????

• ChristelAdina said:

PemiBlue said:

Pick, strings, chord charts, music files. Sort of an OK Go DIY kit. I know they sell a guitar tab anthology, so perhaps that could be part of the package. I would think the acoustic versions differ, but maybe not all that much.

YES! I was talking about this somewhere else (or maybe here, who knows?), but not in regard to this particular package question/idea thread. I think it's a fabulous idea and it could go along with the acoustic versions and/or be combined with the build you own package ideas. Different pricing tiers might have all of those things plus access (by USB or via a specific password on YouTube or the database) to quick video tutorials/musical insights about a certain sound in a song included in the package from one of the guys.  Does that make sense? Like a 20 second clip of Andy saying, "The way I achieved this sound on the record is by using this pedal and…" or Tim explaining what he does differently on live acoustic versions of whatever song it is.

Maybe that's too much. But I do like the DIY and the acoustic. Way better than my various socks plans. Wink And I really want build your own package options. 

I like your idea, Christel!

And about the 'your own package option', Y'all are tired of hearing me saying I'd like that. More like, I NEED THAT.

:/