In this Discussion

OK Go + The Muppets = A Muppet Theme Song!

Comments

• laydeejol said:

Hahaha Issat what happens to u when, u know, OK Go is mentioned, amber? ;)x

Sudden giggling? Something like that. Wink
  • I can't believe I haven't put my input on this yet.

I love the video. Damn, I love this video. OK Go and The Muppets are a magic combination with too much awesome for this world to handle. I think we had to use Mars to hold the leftover awesome.

My favorite part was probably Tim's double cucumber vision. I was laughing so hard.
  • I've got it! I have the Green Album! And I've finally opened it up to find something which makes my mind scramble...

You see, while reading the fine print (which I always love to do), I found something that goes a little like this :

OK Go is: Damian Kulash, Jr. - Tim Nordwind - Dan Konopka - Andy Ross

OK Go appears courtesy of Capitol Records

WTF? Whatever happened to "paracadute!"? Am I missing some legal stuff or are the boys doing some funky stuff behind the scenes?..... Explanation, please!
    magnolia (n.) Plant genus, 1748, from Magnolius, Latinized name of Pierre Magnol (1638-1715), French physician and botanist, professor of botany at Montpellier.
  • Considering they've been working on this album for a while, it is entirely possible that they were still with Capitol when they started this.

After looking at some dates, they recorded the theme song in November of 2009 and they left Capitol in March of 2010. So, while they were recording the song, they were still "property" of Capitol even though the album didn't drop until last week. Kinda sucks, but there you have it.
  • beckysioux said:

Considering they've been working on this album for a while, it is entirely possible that they were still with Capitol when they started this.

After looking at some dates, they recorded the theme song in November of 2009 and they left Capitol in March of 2010. So, while they were recording the song, they were still "property" of Capitol even though the album didn't drop until last week. Kinda sucks, but there you have it.

Ahh, I see. It does suck. But, less confusion means less worries. Again, thanks!
    magnolia (n.) Plant genus, 1748, from Magnolius, Latinized name of Pierre Magnol (1638-1715), French physician and botanist, professor of botany at Montpellier.
  • I was confused about that as well.

Oh, and I showed the video to my five year old nephew. He LOVES it. It makes me so happy when he asks me to play it for him. He likes to scream along at the end, haha. And now whenever I say "Ladies and gentlemen...", he finishes it with "OK Go!" and waves his hands in the air like Kermit did. 

It makes me smile. Laugh
  • Wonderful!  Start 'em young!
  • Just watched the jay leno performance! And it was amazing! And I want to point a couple things out before I forget:

- At first, I thought "why is just animal on the show?", but the drum solo with Dan was hilarious enough I didn't need the others (though miss piggy at the beginning of the show was cute!)

- I know that they're musicians, and I'm positive that they all know how to play piano/keyboard, but when I saw Damian do those scales/whatever that was, I was shocked.

- They made Andy's solo shot a little short. Infact, they made all their solo shot's a little short. But maybe that's just me being the crazy fan that I am
  • magnoliamaggiemag said:

- I know that they're musicians, and I'm positive that they all know how to play piano/keyboard, but when I saw Damian do those scales/whatever that was, I was shocked.

Yeah, me too.  Threw me off a bit. 

I'm away from home, so I can't DVR and watch/re-watch like I normally do, but that was fun.  Nice job, boys. (Is anyone else wondering if they got to chat with Allison Janney?  Because I effing love her.)
  • Question. Are only OK Go promoting this album? I mean, other than the Muppets? I haven't heard/seen any of the other artists talking about the album. Or perhaps they are and my head is in a hole.

And will any of the other bands make a video with the Muppets? Or go on national TV and perform their cover?

As for last night's performance, I liked it, but I have a few issues with it. I don't think that all of it was live. There are a few reasons why I thought it wasn't live and they are: aross singing but not, his guitar changed sounds even though he didn’t
    press one of his pedals (and I didn’t see any pedals in front of him),
    there was a sound that no one was playing nor did they press a pedal to
    make it, Tim was very far from his mic and I'm pretty sure he likes to be up
    on it usually, Damian made the same faces he did during End Love.

I really thought that last night's performance was missing the joy and energy and love and surprise and sex and hate and magic and life and happiness. Okay, maybe not sex and hate when it comes to the Muppets, but you know what I mean. It just didn't feel like they were "there" last night.

I really want to believe that everything was live last night, but I only saw it once and won't be able to view it again until I get home tonight. That is if it's up on the interwebz when I get home.

And for all I know, everything I just said is hogwash. We'll see.

Also, was I the only one who thought it odd that aross was wearing
    sneakers last night? Usually when he dons the red suit, he wears dress
    shoes. Hmmm...
  • I just watched it again.  I'm gonna stand by my earlier statement that it was at least 95% live.  It's hard to reproduce some songs 100% live, so guide tracks are okay (maybe they had a sound guy hitting the play button on that sound you didn't see them start?).  I did see Andy's pedal board at his feet, and the vocals and guitar solos were different enough from the recording for me to believe that the song was mostly live. 
  • ARRRGH!!! I missed it!  Does anyone have it online?
  • BeckiWitte said:

ARRRGH!!! I missed it!  Does anyone have it online?

The guys posted this link: http://www.gigwise.com/news/66435/OK-Go-Perform-With-The-Muppets-On-Jay-Leno---Video

And I saw it and thought it was amazing. I seriously freaked out when Damian was doing the keyboard part. Even if it wasn't 100% live, I still loved it. It was missing a bit of their usual energy, in my opinion, but I still loved it. I don't think I can not love something OK Go does.

:)
  • Once again, The Audio Perv posts the video.  Here's the link: http://theaudioperv.com/2011/09/01/ok-go-muppet-show-theme-song-831-leno/
  • Thank you so much.  I was heart broken when I missed it, but then I was all like "Oh, no, I haven't MISSED it, my boardies have my back."  And I was right!  Thanks again.

Now as to the clip.  Wonderful.  It is always good to see the guys having such a good time, and I am glad that Dan and Animal have worked things out since that whole staring contest incident.
  • BeckiWitte said:

Thank you so much.  I was heart broken when I missed it, but then I was all like "Oh, no, I haven't MISSED it, my boardies have my back."  And I was right!  Thanks again.

Why do I feel the need to respond with "All in a day's work, ma'am" ?
  • Loved them all.  I just love getting online and seeing that there are new things to read abut the bands.  That being said, I LOVE the pick of Damian that Epoch Times used.  I have seen it many times before and I think it is one of the best photos of him I have ever seen.
  • silver12 said:

BeckiWitte said:

ARRRGH!!! I missed it!  Does anyone have it online?

The guys posted this link: http://www.gigwise.com/news/66.....no---Video

And I saw it and thought it was amazing. I seriously freaked out when Damian was doing the keyboard part. Even if it wasn't 100% live, I still loved it. It was missing a bit of their usual energy, in my opinion, but I still loved it. I don't think I can not love something OK Go does.

:)

This might be an uber dumb question, but on this video when when they start singing "on the most sensational, inspiratoinal, ....." it seems like a lot more than just four guys singing.  Is the audience singing along, you think?  Just curious.