In this Discussion

President Obama's Birthday Celebration in Chicago 8-3-11

edited November -1 in OK Go
The boys will be performing at President Obama's 50th Birthday Celebration in Chicago at The Aragon Ballroom on Wednesday, August 3, 2011. They've announced it both on Twitter and on Facebook.

And the best news, you can be at the birthday party, too! Click here for more details.

So far only OK Go and Herbie Hancock have been announced as the entertainment. Since Lollapalooza is happening that weekend, there are a bevy of other musicians/bands that will probably be in the area and might end up performing at the party, too.

If you're in town, get your dancing shoes on and let's celebrate Obama's fiftieth in style!

Comments

• I just realized that they announced the show on their main page, too.

In other news, Jennifer Hudson has been added to the bill. I'm thinking at least 2 or 3 more acts will be added to the line-up before the party. I just wonder who.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • The New York Post just published an article claiming that Prez O's might not go ahead, given the current US debt limit debate :[ i certainly hope this isn't true! x
  • Well, that would suck if he's unable to go to his own birthday party. :o(

Though the article is wrong on the date of the party.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • The New York Post is owned by Rupert Mudoch, and therefore I wouldn't trust it any farther than I can throw it.  And I throw like a girl who can't throw things.

Nonetheless, this debt crisis shit is pissing me off enough as is.  I hope the party goes as planned.
  • Putting this here because it's somewhat relevant. And well, I like seeing the fanboy Damian face.

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • My sister keeps asking me what about OK Go is cooler than Duran Duran (her big-time-screaming-fainting-fan band) and I am not willing to go there because people who ask questions like that are not interested in anything you have to say, they just want to try to prove you wrong.  "Blah, blah, blah.  We've all heard this before Becki," says you.  True, but my point was, that if I were going to play this game with her I would point out that Duran Duran never got a shout out from Ronald Reagan. Laugh
  • *sitting on my hands, sitting on my hands* I won't go into my political views esp on the current administration, so I'll just *sit on my hands* That's all I'm willing to go into at the moment, but a different view is always appreciated on here, I know.
  • There are now cheaper tickets available.

$50.00 Gen44
    Limited Availability - General Admission

Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Q&A with OK Go's Damian Kulash.

You’re playing at Obama’s birthday party on August 3. How did that come together?
    That’s
    the idea. If the debt ceiling gets raised and they still have the
    birthday party, then yes, we’ll be there. The band started in Chicago.
    We have a lot of ties to Chicago. Apparently Obama’s kids are big fans,
    so perhaps we have them to thank for this. Frankly, I’m still sort of
    shocked. I can’t believe we’re on his radar. As if I needed a reason to
    care about the debt ceiling. The secondary reason is that we don’t want
    the entire global economy to crash. But the primary reason is that I
    want to play the gig next week.

"Frankly, I'm still sort of shocked. I can't believe we're on his radar." After everything you've done for him, I'm not surprised he knows who y'all are. It's just a bonus that the girls have good taste in music ;o)
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • This is my favorite line from that Q&A, Becky:

What does it mean for you to see fans talking on Twitter and Facebook and making parodies of your videos?
    There’s nothing more satisfying than watching the things we’ve made go out into the world and inspire other people.

For obvious reasons.
  • Here's a little article from last night's festivities.

Barack Obama enjoys 50th birthday with burgers and banter

My pix and vids will be up soon. Along with a bit of a recap of the night from my perspective.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • All of my pix can be viewed here. Here are a few of my favorites:

The boys did either 6 or seven songs. I recorded 4. They are:

Do What You Want

All Is Not Lost (This was a surprise to hear as they haven't played it since their Chicago show in October, 2010)

Return

This Too Shall Pass

After their set, some guy spoke for a while. Then Jennifer Hudson came out to sing two songs, neither of which she knew the lyrics to. After her, there was just some music the DJ was spinning. Then it was Herbie Hancock. I believe he did 3 songs, but they each lasted at least 10 minutes. They were good, just long.

Finally, it was time to get ready for the Prez to make his entrance. Rahm Emanuel, Chicago's current mayor, came out and said some schtuff and then brought all the musical acts back out to sing "Happy Birthday".

Here is my video of the singalong:

At 0:07 Damian winks and points at me because I winked at him. I’m a dork. So?

At 0:50 Herbie Hancock gives aross the mic. aross gives it immediately to Damian.

At 1:15 Damian really gets into singing to the Prez.

Just watch the boys reactions from 1:30 on. I think aross looks like a kid in a candy store.

At 1:38 I do believe this thought just ran through aross’ mind, “OH MY GOD I JUST SHOOK OBAMA’S HAND!”

It’s rare to see aross smile so much. I wish he did it more often, he’s so cute when he smiles.

At 1:57 Damian whispers something into aross’ ear. I wonder what it was about.

At 2:26 I see you aross.

At 4:36 is the awkward exit.

At 6:23 Obama makes a funny.

Then the rest is just political stuff.

For a better video of this, go here.

All in all, I had a great time. I got to hang out with Kris and Jaime and talk OK Go before, during and after the show. I wish OK Go were able to play just a little bit longer, but I understand that there was only so much time for each act that night.

And the best part of the night was when I got to shake the President's hand. He's a really good guy and I hope he gets to finish what he started.
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Thanks for sharing everything!  Glad you had a great night.

What does Damian say at 2:40 of the TTSP vid??  I can't make it out.
  • At 2:40 he says "Listen guys, I don't know if you're allowed to say this at a presidential function, but you know the phrase 'Grow a pair'? It's time to sing."
    Allergic to whole wheat.
  • Wow, it's so obvious now.  Thanks.

I was somehow hearing something like "Groat picker."

?!

Which I think now needs to be given a real meaning and it shall become my new catchword.

Back on topic ...
  • Becky, just... Wow.  Love it. So glad you guys had that night.  And I thank you for my phone call during All Is Not Lost.  I knew they'd start playing it again soon.

So I wanted to post this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/ok-go-vocalist-damian-kul_n_916431.html

Because I think a certain someone was upset that Chicago made no appearances on 180/365.

On the live album, “180/365,” there aren't any songs included that were recorded from shows in Chicago. How come?
    Unfortunately we could only use certain shows, for either rights reasons or sound quality reasons. It wasn’t a slight against Chicago in any way.

So you still have love for The Windy City?
    We have an incredible love for the Windy City. Playing for Obama’s birthday is like a crazy, crazy dream come true.

See?  He still loves you guys.  So stop worrying about it. 

Now if only I could get them to have a special place in their hearts for Delaware...  It's not *so* bad here.  Biden's from here!  We're close to everything!  And I hear that Upstate Delaware's favorite musician's favorite band is OK Go.  But that's just a rumor.
  • DJRose said:

But that's just a rumor.

How do these rumors get started ...
  • sherib said:

DJRose said:

But that's just a rumor.

How do these rumors get started ...

I think I saw something on Google...
  • violetchaos364 said:

sherib said:

DJRose said:

But that's just a rumor.