In this Discussion

I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way.

edited November -1 in OK Go
I suppose you could call this a disclaimer: don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore OK Go. I have since I first watched (and looped) "Here We Go Again." I even love their stuff from Of The Blue Colour of the Sky.

I think that's the problem. I "even." I'm in love with what they've done since OK Go and Oh No, especially with the innovation and the more and more obvious love for their fans (everything; just. Everything), but... I really do miss their old style, when old!Andy was still around. 

It's always appreciated to see a band evolve, which is why I enjoy the latest (studio) album, but does anyone miss the way they used to play and compose? It's how I originally fell in love with them, after all.

Comments

• First of all, welcome to the boards! Laugh

Secondly, it's "Here It Goes Again" (Just a heads up Wink)

Thirdly, I do miss it a little. Sometimes I need a raw, hardcore track like "Invincible", or a harmony-filled song like "Shortly Before the End". But I find myself listening to OTBCOTS more often because it's pure, in a sense. It doesn't need power chords or bells & whistles. And they composed in a different state of mind as well. Hope that help Smile
  • (Argh. Don't mind me messing up song titles, here. "Here It Goes Again," indeed.)

Thank you! Glad to be here :) And I suppose I'm somewhat comforted. I think the transition was probably the thing that threw me off the most. Be it sacrilegious to say so, I really was reminded of The Beatles with several songs from their older albums. (Or, I just really love a little sauciness from an alternative rock band that seems to enjoy itself in every song.) "Bye Bye Baby," "1000 Miles Per Hour," "Get Over It," "It's A Disaster," "Return," and especially "Don't Ask Me" or "Do What You Want"—ahhh, I miss those and have them on repeat so often.

Has the band made any indication that they might change styles (or mindsets, as you pointed out) in the future? (A different question altogether, but it'd be an honest delight to see them do a little old school once in a while.) 
  • Hi necessancy, welcome to the boards!!! ((hugs))

Well, I must be the one to crash the party and disagree...

The thing is, most songs off of OK Go and Oh No are awesome, but they eventually got tirying, to me. And if you search around some interviews (we probs have them linked in the Great Articles thread or videos, in the OK Go on tv shows, commercials, etc thread) with Damian talking about why they decided to go a different path when writing for this album. I remember him saying something like, trying to write songs like the ones from the first two records sounded 'too much like someone trying to sound like us' and I am quite pleased he decided to go with what felt more natural. I don't know, their songs appeal to me more in such a different level now, and what Damian wanted to pass on really got me. He mentioned something about sometimes you get a beat and a chord progression... and it's just a beat and a chord progression, but that sometimes, you get a beat and a chord, and it's joy, or sadness, or sex or you know, a feeling. And that's what I get from this album that I didn't get from the other ones. Sure, I rocked out to it, they were awesome, some of the lyrics are freaking dope, but it's not the same. 

I like bands that evolve and don't get stuck on the same formula, that's what appeals more to me. And when you see they playing those songs live, you can see it. You hear in Damian's voice the 'i'm-so-fucking-tired-of-playing-this-song' you know? I do think he said somewhere that the other records were shitty. hahaha! They took a shot, some people liked, some people don't, but at the end, they're the ones who have to play it forever and ever, it's gotta be something that still makes the blood run through the veins and remind them why they first got into this in the first place... I think I get their side too much to be like 'BOOOO, PLAY YOU'RE SO DAMN HOT!' 

BUT I totally and completely get your point, and I know for a fact you are not alone in this! :)

Sure, sometimes I miss their old stuff - everybody loves some Get Over It - but they do still play it live, so... everyone can be happy :D

I think that you should read this interview, it doesn't have any cuts, you can get the whole Damian thinking process talking about this record.

As for your question, I don't know, maybe sounding like before will come naturally again next time, who knows? OK go is such a big box full of surprises :)
  • I love the new stuff and the old stuff, I just miss Damian's hair.
  • BeckiWitte said:

I love the new stuff and the old stuff, I just miss Damian's hair.

oh God, sometimes I really miss it too