In this Discussion

What Song's Lyrics Speak To You The Most?

edited November -1 in OK Go
We've all heard OK Go's songs, and most of us have all of their lyrics memorized. I was wondering which lyrics speak to you the most (meaning which ones can you hear and think, "Oh dude, I've been there").

For me, there are two in particular I can really associate with:

"There's A Fire"-

The lyric- 'I never say quite what I mean/I never mean quite what I say' etc. just works for me so well.

I suck at talking, I mean, I REALLY SUCK at talking. If I say something wrong in a conversation, I can't say that it was a mistake, everything I say, no matter how stupid is taken seriously. I kind of have a bad reputation because of that. Sometimes I wish I could just take back everything I've ever said.

"Don't Ask Me"-

I have three girls with a crush on me right now; THREE GIRLS, and I don't like either of them.

They always act awkward/flirty/addictive towards me, and I don't want to be mean; but sometimes I just wanna scream this song's lyrics at them. Eg "Don't flash that stupid smile!", "Quit acting so friendly", "Don't waste my f***** time!". The latter in particular, because they all got emotional over me one day, and it just killed me.

Anyone else?

(Please, I don't wanna start a thread and no one respond; it's like "There's A Fire" all over again)

Comments

• I have a couple.

Return: So, I unfortunately grew up with shitty grandparents.  Like, abnormally shitty.  My good grandparents died before I had a chance to know them, and their deaths had, in my opinion, some very frustrating consequences.  They left too soon; but they were supposed to grow old.

Don't Ask Me: I always imagine singing this song to the family members you see at weddings and funerals.  "So cordial, so rotten, kiss kiss let's meet for breakfast." 

I actually listened to these two songs on repeat while driving to my aunt's funeral. 

All is Not Lost: My friend died last year.  The last weekend when we all spent the whole weekend in the waiting room of the ICU, I had this song on repeat for the drives to and from the hospital.

This Too Shall Pass: When they first started premiering songs from this CD, this was my favorite new song.  "You can't keep letting it get you down; no you can't keep letting it get you down."
  • There are a few, but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Shooting the Moon: "What can he tell them now? Sorry I let you down, Sorry it wasn't quite true. But don't get hung up on it, Just soldier on with it And good luck with shoooting the moon."

You know how sometimes you just trust someone wholeheartedly and they let you down? But you can't hold it against them because you know they're only human, so you just deal with it? Yeah, that's what I think of. It's happened before, so that is what I think of.

Skyscrapers: "And somehow in all the madness, I thought that I was seeing straight."

I know I've hurt people I care about before because I got caught up in myself and my own problems, so this really speaks to me. Honestly, pretty much the whole song makes me think, "Yeah, I've done this... I've screwed up this bad." I still love the song, though. :)
  • BTW, that "Don't Ask Me" thing could not be more apparent right now. I'm on Facebook and one of those girls won't leave me alone. But hey, I don't wanna be a jerk.

Also for another one:

"What to Do"- (you can tell I really like the first album) Something about it just comes out and speaks to me.

Lyrics such as 'Leave your friends/Righteous and pathetic standing at the door' relates to me. All my friends have done something very adult. All of them have either smoked/drank/had sex while I haven't because I don't feel that I should, especially not at this age. That lyric reminds me that I am the bigger person.

'That compassion's/Just a nicer way of looking down your nose'; again, totally relates to me, not much explanation needed there.

Most prominently though, 'Mediocre people do exceptional things all the time' is very uplifting to me. I find the whole song very inspirational, I'd even go so far as to say it's my favorite OK Go song.

But seriously though, DJRose and Silver, very interesting connections...Cool
  • In The Glass, in general, is like that for me - the whole idea of trying to be somebody who's sort of similar to you but not really you and then it's really hard to get out of being them.. well, a lot of people on the boards should understand why there's a lot of connection for me there.

A Million Ways perfectly describes a situation I'm in right now, but then it kind of describes most peoples' lives, so I dunno how much that counts.  xD

What To Do is just the song describing my life... and one of my favourite songs.  Ever.

And there are so many more I'd like to put but I won't because I'd just end up going on forever.  In The Glass is the major one.
  • Shooting the Moon: "What can he tell them now?/Sorry I let you down" is something I think we can all relate to.

The House Wins: "You don't have to be alone to be lonely."  I lived in Minnesota for 4 years.  The bad part of Minnesota, where the largest store within 105 minutes' driving time is WalMart and people hate you if you don't believe and stand for the exact same things they do.
  • Mine would have to be "Sweetheart, you'll find mediocre people do exceptional things all the time" from What To Do.  I always root for the underdog in any situation.  I had to write a paper in Sociology class in college about how strangers react to random acts of kindness.  I used that lyric as my opening statement.  My teacher gave me bonus points and wrote "Excellent Band!!" in the comments.
  • NinjaCat said:

Mine would have to be "Sweetheart, you'll find mediocre people do exceptional things all the time" from What To Do.  I always root for the underdog in any situation.  I had to write a paper in Sociology class in college about how strangers react to random acts of kindness.  I used that lyric as my opening statement.  My teacher gave me bonus points and wrote "Excellent Band!!" in the comments.

That is my favorite part of the song- I even put it as my favorite quote for the yearbook. :D And that's so awesome that your teacher knew who they were and gave you extra points. I would love to have a teacher like that!

And to stay on topic, I've decided on another one.

What To Do: "Compassion's just a nicer way of looking down your nose."

Honestly, I am sometimes nice to people despite wanting not to be. I feel like if I'm nice to them, it's my way of acting superior. I feel sorry for people because it's just the way to go. I also know people like this, so it really speaks to me.
  • "While You Were Asleep:" "As I was walking down on Second Street/Through the leaves and the clutter/In the pale yellow sodium light/Nothing has any  color//Can't you love me?"

It seems that when someone wants something, the more desperate they become, the more hopeless they feel.

"Hello, My Treacherous Friends:"  The whole song.

First, the spiders:

My dad found a spider comparable in size to a large mouse in the basement.  When he let it outside, it sounded like a cat was running through the leaves.

Second, the lines: "How when I spin from him I spin from myself/The center can double the speed of the crust."

We've all been through this.  Person A tries to force their religious or political views on Person B, and nothing good has ever come of that.

Then, the "treacherous friends:"

I've known people who will cooperate when writing stories, etc., then if both people are sharing a notebook, writing the same story together, will repeatedly "forget" to give the notebook back.