In this Discussion

Just a quick little question

edited April 2015 in OK Go

Let's say that there were plans to bring back the OK Go juggling club, would anyone be willing to join it, and would anyone be willing to help do coding or join a small team of people to work on bringing it back. There isn't anything set in stone, this is just me probing to see if anyone would be interested.

It wouldn't be exactly as the old one, because that one was more street team like, but it would be like that of an official fan club.

Feel free to take this survey as well just so I have better documentation of those interested.
http://goo.gl/forms/jVcz5sBJ8f

If anyone is interested, feel free to send me an email at okgojugglingclub@gmail.com

Comments

• I would be super interested, I've always regretted not taking part in these boards long ago. I know nothing about coding, but I'll help in any way I can. I'll send an email your way :)
  • Cool! Right now I'm just trying to get a little interest stirred up. The more people I've got who would be willing to join something like this, the better there is an actual chance of this becoming a reality.
    Fan since 2003
    Juggling club member since 2005
  • edited April 2015
    I notice that a lot of you are raising some questions about this over on tumblr(yes, i read EVERYTHING that is added to my original post).

The Juggling Club was the Official OK Go Fan Club/Street team for the LONGEST time. And I am aware that some of you have this idea that the Juggling Club is just a place for an off site forum for fans to chat. This just isn't the case.

The plan here is to revive to original OK Go fan club, Just for fun I'll call this project Lazarus.

It wont be just a forum, it will be a place to plan official meetups before or after shows, it will be a place to submit fan art, creations, anything that the band has motivated you to make. This will also be the place for contests. All of this will allow you to earn points or win items, many of the items that I'd like to have in the points store would be concert tickets, official band merch, and MAYBE even official OK Go Juggling Club merch, just to signify how important you all are and to show that we all belong to a special sect of OK Go fans.

I would like to have certain aspects from the street team portion, such as making banners for email signatures or use on other forums just to show off how much you like OK Go.

This is just me rambling and sharing a couple ideas of what will be included once this goes official.

So TL;DR - The Juggling Club will most likely end up being the Official OK Go fan club again, and it will be more than a forum, it will contain a lot of fun activities and opportunities for everyone who joins. And I'm welcoming all the Boardies and Paracadets to join in to make this the most active and fun OK Go fan club since the Original Juggling Club.

If this doesn't sound like something you would want to join, that's fine. You still have tumblr, reddit, and here on the boards. For those who this sounds interesting to, then please feel free to join up when we get the ball rolling.

If you have any more questions please feel free to post here or email me at okgojugglingclub@gmail.com
    Fan since 2003
  • I'm still thinking Juggling Club is associated with Capitol. I know the street team was run by Capitol, and, as it was the official fan club back then, I assume JC may have been as well. It went away--generally, as well as from the boards/from the site-- around the time Paracadute started. Possibly for a reason (such as, that it belonged to Capitol Records).
  • I'm still thinking Juggling Club is associated with Capitol. I know the street team was run by Capitol, and, as it was the official fan club back then, I assume JC may have been as well. It went away--generally, as well as from the boards/from the site-- around the time Paracadute started. Possibly for a reason (such as, that it belonged to Capitol Records).

Actually The Juggling Club was just set up and ran by Damians Friend Jorge, who actually ran most of OK Go's online stuff and he even had a hand at moderating these boards at some point. So no, the Juggling Club was not a Capitol Records thing, it was and still is an OK Go thing. I don't want to delve into to much, but there have actually been plans to try and bring it back for a while, i'm not able to discuss that though because it isnt my place.
    Fan since 2003
  • I mentioned this on Tumblr too (along with Becky), but in case other people in this thread didn't see it there or don't do Tumblr: I think the best way to revive a fan community/fan club would probably be through this, the existing forum on the official OKGo site. Don't you? Seems easier and less expensive, at least.

(also, I know who Jorge is)
  • edited April 2015
    My idea that i've brought up with certain people at paracadute is that we would have to this forum become the official forum of the Fan club, you would have the same login, nothing would dissapear, you would just be clicking a juggling club/fan club link to get to it. And expense is not something the fans would have to worry about. If i have anything to say about it the Juggling Club/Fan Club will always be free.

The only thing that would be different would be the addition of more customization of your account, the ability to earn points by doing activities, entering contests to win cool prizes like concert tickets or rare merch, and just a centralized place for everything.

As I said, I have no intentions of splitting everyone up. I am all for keeping certain things the way they are, but with the addition of the points/contests/official calendar/fan club only news, i think that's a fair idea.

This won't be an unofficial thing if all goes according to plan. As soon as I have word from my friends at Paracadute, I will be more than glad to tell you guys more.

I will say that the main important thing that we need right now is support from the fans. We know everyone likes their own separate nooks and crannies of the web, but we'd like to get a huge group going, if we have to start it here on the forum that'd be great. We will work on building the juggling club around the aspects that you guys like and we will try to avoid the things you don't like. In the end we want an active place for new and old fans to come and hang out, chat, win cool prizes, do cool things, and just all and all geek out about OK Go.

Fan since 2003
  • edited April 2015
    I was referring to the costs (of everything you mentioned in your original post) to the band/to Paracadute. Infrastructure and resources issues.

I'm not understanding how okgo.net/this forum isn't already
    just a centralized place for everything.
    and a place
    new and old fans to come and hang out, chat, win cool prizes, do cool things, and just all and all geek out about OK Go.
    I think contests and news and all that are fun. I love those things. We get those things. In the official newsletter, in contests/promotions that the band holds and promotes on this site, and YouTube, Facebook, & Twitter, and through its various partnerships when applicable. Less than in the Capitol days, sure, less than in 2010, even, but they are.

You mention in the previous reply:
    we would have to this forum become the official forum of the Fan club
    and that seems to imply exclusivity. I am very uncomfortable with that. I don't want to exclude anyone.

OKGo for all. ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Okay let me go way off book from this whole thing, distance my self as far as paracadute and ok go as I can.

Don't worry about the cost

The club would become a part of this website. The Fan Club is something that has been in talks for a while.

if you don't want to join in, that's fine. This would be a thing for the fans who want special things that aren't available to people in the news letter or through those promotions, this is band centralized, and there would be a lot more opportunities for things like band meetups or google hang outs with members of the band if it was an official thing.

The fan club is free, you're not paying to join, there is no exclusivity besides the fact that you get early access to things that wont be announced in news letters or in the main site, and all you have to do is just either log in to your forum account if it is set up that way, or just by logging into the fan club page. That is the way most official fan clubs work.

There is no exclusivity, there is no fee to the fans. There is a decent sized group of people who want something like this. A lot of them have given their input and a lot of them have good ideas on how to make the juggling club even better than it was before, and I don't plan to let them down. If a few people from the boards and tumblr are against the idea, so be it, but I have a bunch of other people who love the idea of this.

I'm sorry if this is coming off harsh or anything, but this has been a dream/passion of mine for years, and I am finally just being able to get into contact with the right people to maybe make this a possibility. OK Go was there for me during a very hard time in my life, and the juggling club community was a family to me, and as a young impressionable teen/ fan of ok go, I feel like a fun cool place like the juggling club would be a great place for new and old fans to get the same experience I got. If you don't want to join it or add to the survey and give ideas that could make the fan club work better like many people have done so far, you don't have to. Even if you're playing devils advocate, just don't.

I'm talking to the right people, this isn't just some crazed fan wanting to make a fan club, this is something that I personally talked to Damian and Tim about, and they pointed me in the right direction of people to talk to to try and make something officialized. They gave me their blessing and made it seem like a good idea, and now that i have people at paracadute to talk to about it more, i want this to happen. It may not happen now, this summer, this year, but I want to make this happen, and i know the more we work on it, the better it will be.

Again, sorry If i come off harsh, It's just a little saddening to me as it is kind of a passion project.

Now coming from a professional point of view, and not me talking straight from myself, I see where you're coming from, and I can understand your points. I honestly feel that this official fan club would be a good idea and I mean the best by trying to put it together.

Fan since 2003
  • Pardon me for wanting specificity- but who are 1) the
    people at Paracadute
    and 2) the
    decent sized group of people
    you're referring to? We all know who Jorge is, we all know some others involved with Paracadute, I'd just like some verification or what have you.

To be honest, I'd like more details and less vague hints before I would consider getting involved in any of this. In any case, I'd welcome you to bring the "bunch of other people" to the boards to chat and stuff, as this is where we all (including the "few people from tumblr," which is probably more than you think) hang out. New boardies are always welcome, and it'd be great to have a big new group of them if you direct them all over here!

• edited April 2015
    As for the people from Paracadute, I'm not just going to name names of people, especially when everything is just being talked about at this point. I don't want to drag people under the bus if shit doesn't pan out. I'm sorry for vagueness at this point, but when certain aspects are more concrete I would be more than happy to talk about who they are, and if they feel the need to hop onto the board themselves then they can do so. The main person I am talking to right now though is Mr. Rosenthal

The list of people who have taken the survey and given their input onto what they would want for the fan club is the decent sized group I'm talking about. Whether they've found the link from here,reddit, or tumblr, those are the people I am talking about. As to whether or not they come over to here is up to them. An Idea I've had is that I could maybe ask Mike to make a sub forum on here, much like the OK Go and General subforum specifically for conversation and ideas for the Juggling Club/Fan Club.
    Fan since 2003
  • Zach, I admire your passion for the band, and your desire to bring fans together, however...

I'd like to +1 ChristelAdina's April 22nd post.
    I think that just by posting here on the OK Go forum we've all made ourselves known as members of OK Go's "Fan Club". I don't see a need for an additional log-in page or thread, and I don't see the need to divide the lovely people that come here into "people that get early access" and people that do not.
    OK Go for all, equally and for always! Let's not make people do extra work to access great content! :)

I think our efforts are best spent encouraging the OK Go loving folks we come across on tumblr, reddit, twitter, etc. to join the forums here and restore them to the bustling hub of discussion, sharing and creativity they once were.

Please don't see this as a knock against your dream of putting the Juggling Club together again. I think what I'm trying to say is that the Juggling Club is still here on the OK Go forum, it is alive and well, we just need to get more people back in here to bring it back to its' former glory! :)
  • Zach, I remember you from the Juggling Club. I made some good friends there; I'm still friends with a bunch of them. When it died, I came over here and made new friends. It was all good. I've been to meet ups in Chicago, London, and NYC. I've gotten to meet LOADS of OK Go fans not only at shows but also because when they come east they let me know and we visit. I love the OK Go community, even if I'm rarely on the official forums anymore (side note: an iPhone app for the forum would be so fantastic, can we get that?).

(oh hey everyone, how's it going? Good? Good.)

So what has made me decide to fire up the laptop and fight the prying fingers of Toddler to post on the board? The other night I happened to be up far too late and saw that Tim was on Periscope to do a live chat. Zach was on the chat too, and during this very cool opportunity to speak to a member of our favorite band, he thought it would be appropriate to commandeer the conversation and use it to badmouth the boardies. Not some, but all. He said "it's too bad the boardies are being so toxic."

Now look, I'm in there with my name flat out there, Tim knows I'm a boardie, and I'm getting tarred with the brush for something I straight up haven't been involved in. I politely asked Zach to keep the drama elsewhere, and Tim reminded us all that this is a place for love, not fighting. Ironically, Zach's response - after telling Tim that we're "toxic" - is that "there's no vinegar from [him]." This is hilarious, because you just pulled out the vinegar bottle and poured it all over the boardies to serve Tim a salad.

OK, so I'm trying to figure out how any of the very reasonable concerns brought up above count as "toxic." We've got a community in which a lot of the ideas you've outlined already exist, and we're trying to understand what about it is insufficient for your needs. Is it that it isn't called the Juggling Club? Is it that there aren't street team mission sorts of challenges being issued? Rather than tearing everything down to the foundation and starting over, let's renovate what's already here.

This isn't a knock, Zach, honestly. We're (and now I'm counting myself amongst the skeptical) just trying to understand your goals here. I mean look, are you trying to get a job with Paracadute and this project is going to be your foot in the door? Cool. I get you. I do. I have a dream that someday I'll get to sing with the guys and/or open for them. But if another fan gets to sing with/open for them first I'm not going to take the opportunity of a public chat to badmouth that fan to one of the guys. That was passive aggressive, hurtful, and you're not going to win people over that way. Did you think that no one associated with the boards was in the chat?

Fandom isn't a competition. I've been down that rabbit hole and it's not a good place to be. If you're successful and you get the new JC off the ground, that's awesome, congratulations. The boardies would be foolish not to join, especially if you're getting exclusive content. In the meantime, sell us on the cool stuff you're doing and don't take skepticism personally.
  • I didn't mean toxic as in this place is toxic, it is very hard to form a proper line of dialogue with the amount of characters twitter/periscope gives you.

What I was trying to convey there, was that a lot of the people on here seem to think of the idea of a new Juggling Club as a bad idea and don't seem to quite get what it would be, and thus are being quite toxic to the plans and ideas. and seem to be putting it dead in the water. The boards them selves are not toxic and the people on here are not toxic either. And I knew people would be on there, I'm sorry if the thing i said got taken in a negative view.

Even Mike has said the same thing to me, is that there could be a good chance of the juggling club happening, but the hard thing about it would actually be getting the fans to join, and from what I've seen on here, none of you want to join or seem to not be getting exactly what the juggling club would do. Web hosting and developing the site would be a slight trouble, but that isnt for the fans to worry about. As for content, it could be a while for a new album to be put out, but that doesnt mean that there wouldnt be new exclusive content for JC members, like demos or unreleased tracks. I'm sure damian has a full release of Appendices and not the JC's old fan made copy. There are many things that could make the juggling club great, but so far the only thing in the way of making it happen is the fans.

As for why I want to make it happen? Having a job that has to do with the band, that'd be cool, but not why I want to do this. I'm evil and want to see people hate one another and destroy the boardies forever and assimilate them into my Evil Juggling Club, nope, that isn't what I want either.

The main reason I want a juggling club back is because it was a fun thing for me and the people on it. It was a fun and meaningful part of my life, and seeing kids at concerts who are so into the band talk about how they would want something like the JC at a concert a couple weeks back made me want to make it happen, ive wanted to make it happen for a while and that is what pushed me over the edge to do it. I'm not doing it for a job, or to piss people off(even though that seems to be the reprecussions for trying to do it), but because I want those kids/teens/adults who were me 10 years ago, to have the same fun experience and to have the same sort of "family" I had back then. I've had a pretty shitty life and putting together a Juggling Club kinda gives me a purpose to do something and make people as happy as I was when I joined the JC all that time ago.

If you. DJRose, want more information on what I'm trying to do, and would like to just sit down and chat about it and maybe help out, send me an email. I would be more than glad to talk.

okgojugglingclub@gmail.com
    Fan since 2003
  • Hi Zach, I'm one of those "toxic" people you were talking about when you initially posted on Tumblr about reviving the JC. It's taken awhile for me to figure out exactly why my hackles have been raised about your venture. While it may not have been your intention, you have basically said that the Boards and the people contained therein are worthless.

It wont be just a forum, it will be a place to plan official meetups before or after shows, it will be a place to submit fan art, creations, anything that the band has motivated you to make.

We have planned official meetups. We have even had a meetup where fans flew in for a show.

We have submitted fan art here. And the fan art, my goodness, it's so awesome. And the creations, brilliant.

We have even collaborated to make a fan video to White Knuckles: www.youtube.com/watch?v=10MflwPM3L8

So TL;DR - The Juggling Club will most likely end up being the Official OK Go fan club again, and it will be more than a forum, it will contain a lot of fun activities and opportunities for everyone who joins. And I'm welcoming all the Boardies and Paracadets to join in to make this the most active and fun OK Go fan club since the Original Juggling Club.

So, what are the Boards? Just a forum to discuss OK Go? That is pretty much what a fan club does. While we don't have all the nifty bells and whistles of prizes and give-aways, I'd say that what we have is still pretty effing amazing.

My idea that i've brought up with certain people at paracadute is that we would have to this forum become the official forum of the Fan club, you would have the same login, nothing would dissapear, you would just be clicking a juggling club/fan club link to get to it. And expense is not something the fans would have to worry about. If i have anything to say about it the Juggling Club/Fan Club will always be free.

We aren't worried about the expenses coming out of our pockets. We are worried about the expenses coming out of the band's/label's pocket. This could mean less time in the studio. A shorter tour schedule. Less videos. Less OK Go. I don't want that, and I'm pretty sure none of the other Boardies want that either. What we have right here, right now, that is already being paid for, works. Sure, it's not bustling with the activity it used to, but it's already here and has been factored into the budget. And believe it or not, we are working on making this place hopping again.

An Idea I've had is that I could maybe ask Mike to make a sub forum on here, much like the OK Go and General subforum specifically for conversation and ideas for the Juggling Club/Fan Club.

There was a subforum for the Juggling Club. It had been on here back in 2010 but was removed in early 2014 because there was no activity.

The main reason I want a juggling club back is because it was a fun thing for me and the people on it. It was a fun and meaningful part of my life, and seeing kids at concerts who are so into the band talk about how they would want something like the JC at a concert a couple weeks back made me want to make it happen, ive wanted to make it happen for a while and that is what pushed me over the edge to do it. I'm not doing it for a job, or to piss people off(even though that seems to be the reprecussions for trying to do it), but because I want those kids/teens/adults who were me 10 years ago, to have the same fun experience and to have the same sort of "family" I had back then. I've had a pretty shitty life and putting together a Juggling Club kinda gives me a purpose to do something and make people as happy as I was when I joined the JC all that time ago.

Based on what you have most recently posted, it seems, Zach, like you think the atmosphere and community we have tried to cultivate since the Boards' inception is unworthy of being the band's fan club. The Boards are still a fun and meaningful part of my life. This is where I met by best friend. This is where I met people who share my interest in this amazing band. This is where I can geek out about the boys, their lyrics, their antics, their art. This is where I can just talk about them and other fans understand. The Boardies are MY "family".

I do hope that we can work together and make the Boards the best they can be. There's already so much here, let's use this amazing foundation that is already established.