In this Discussion

Newbie Crap/ Atlanta show

edited November -1 in OK Go
I'm a newbie to the MB so please forgive my ignorance on certain issues. Just found out that OKGO was in Nashville a few weeks ago. My "good friends" didn't tell me this until last Friday. That's what I get for not checking this place as much as I should. Now I find myself driving to the Atlanta show on the 12th. Anyone else going? It says 21+ and everyone I know that likes them isn't 21 yet, so I will prolly make the strip stag. I did have a few questions for those of you "in the know", my apologies if the answers are hidden within the board somewhere.

1. Is OKGO one of those bands that sounds just as good in person as they do on their CD? For instance, The White Stripes sound just as good in person; Jimmy Eat World does not.

2. Do the concerts usually sell out? In particular, the ATL show.

3. How hard would it be for me to get the band to sign an record I just bought. Are they easily accessible after shows?

4. Are there any staples that they play at every show?

Comments

• 1. Is OKGO one of those bands that sounds just as good in person as they do on their CD? For instance, The White Stripes sound just as good in person; Jimmy Eat World does not.

In my opinion, yes!!! Plus, they're real showmen, in my opinion: Never a dull moment!

3. How hard would it be for me to get the band to sign an record I just bought. Are they easily accessible after shows?

I've seen them twice and found them available, approachable and lovable.

Not sure about your other questions. Don't know if two shows qualify me to comment on staples they usually include. I will say, I've usually been delighted by the covers they sprinkle in.

I'm new here too, seeing them again next week. Have a great time!
  • 1. I agree, they definitely sound just as good live as on the CD. Plus, they have been playing a lot of new songs from their upcoming CD, it's a great preview! (Man, July is so far from now...)

2. This is once again the shows that I've been to, none of them have sold out. I'd try to get tickets beforehand, if you can.. because then you can get in right away and not wait around in line having to buy tickets.

3. I was able to talk to them both before and after the shows. It sounds like they've been sticking around every show, so I'm sure you'd be able to meet with all of them and get them to sign it.

4. They've been playing pretty much the same setlist, let me go find it...

Bye Bye Baby
    Good Idea (new)
    No Sign (new)
    There's a Fire
    Don't Ask Me
    Let it Rain (new)
    Here it.. (new)
    Get Over It
    Crash (new)
    TV (new)
    Return (sometimes they skip this)
    The Fix is In
    Oh No (new)
    Invincible (new)
    You're So Damn Hot
    Do What You Want (new)
    Cinnamon Lips Encore Dance

Of course, there's the occasional Les Mis skit if someone breaks a string. As far as I know, they haven't played anything other than this on this tour.

Hope that helps!
  • 1. Is OKGO one of those bands that sounds just as good in person as they do on their CD? For instance, The White Stripes sound just as good in person; Jimmy Eat World does not.

OK Go is definitely one of those bands that sounds ridiculously awesome live. They have lots and lots of energy and fantastic stage presence. Damian (and Tim & Rusty some, too) is really witty and entertaining in his between-song chatter, and have you heard about the boy-band dance? I took my brother with me to the show at the Open End Gallery in Chicago (memorable for the beautiful parachute/lighting and the couple making out in the corner and on the stage). Prior to the show my bro only knew of "Get Over It" and has a tendency to be uber-critical in his opinions. However, he had a good time and even said "they put on a good show."

2. Do the concerts usually sell out? In particular, the ATL show.

I don't think any of their shows (that I've been to) have ever sold out, but I've found that it is easier to buy tickets ahead of time so you don't have to worry. Also, at the show at Stubb's in Austin, it was really nice: we had tickets at "will call", so they carded & wristbanded us early, then let us go in before the rest of the pack. That way we were able to stake out a spot right up front, with a sublime view of Rusty and Damian.

I wish I'd known it at the first shows I went to, but OK Go is really great about hanging out with their fans post-concert. I didn't get a chance to talk to Dan, but Tim, Rusty and Damian were all very down-to-earth and friendly. They seemed genuinely happy to talk to fans. I'm sure they'll be glad to sign your record.

4. Are there any staples that they play at every show?

Sweetpea did a great job of answering this one. At the several shows I've been to this tour, they pretty much played the same set.
  • Ahhh, the infamous Open End Gallery show in Chicago. I was at that one too! I still think that make out thing was hilarious, they had to have been so embarrassed...
  • QUOTE (sweetpea0431 @ Apr 5 2005, 09:27 PM)
    Ahhh, the infamous Open End Gallery show in Chicago. I was at that one too! I still think that make out thing was hilarious, they had to have been so embarrassed...

Yeah, I'm sure that was really embarrassing, but at the same time, everybody had already seen them making out for awhile on the couch, so it wasn't like what they did on stage was anything new, you know?
  • Yeah, good point. I actually didn't see ithem at all though beforehand, so I had no clue what was going on when they brought them up on stage.
  • Joeywade,
    I was gonna be going stag too cuz my hubby was supposed to be leaving town for a conference tomorrow, but now he's leaving Wednesday....yay? I was kinda looking forward to being able to mingle on my own and try to meet some of the board people, which I spose I can still do, but he's gonna try to drag me outta there as soon as the music's over (we have a 3-hour drive back down to Statesboro after the show....sucks). He didn't want me to go to Atlanta all by myself, so he's coming whether I like it or not. Oh well.

I'm a bit bummed that we don't have a 'mission' for the Atlanta show......I won't have time now to find something even if Tim does post something later tonight....I hafta work all day then drive 3 hours to the show!!

Oh well, I hope he does eventually post a mission so I can laugh at what all y'all bring!

Hope to see you there......I've got long dark blond hair, and I'll be with a short grumpy British guy (my husband). smile.gif
  • QUOTE (bertie @ Apr 11 2005, 05:17 PM)
    Joeywade,
    I was gonna be going stag too cuz my hubby was supposed to be leaving town for a conference tomorrow, but now he's leaving Wednesday....yay?  I was kinda looking forward to being able to mingle on my own and try to meet some of the board people, which I spose I can still do, but he's gonna try to drag me outta there as soon as the music's over (we have a 3-hour drive back down to Statesboro after the show....sucks).  He didn't want me to go to Atlanta all by myself, so he's coming whether I like it or not.  Oh well.

I'm a bit bummed that we don't have a 'mission' for the Atlanta show......I won't have time now to find something even if Tim does post something later tonight....I hafta work all day then drive 3 hours to the show!!

Oh well, I hope he does eventually post a mission so I can laugh at what all y'all bring!

Hope to see you there......I've got long dark blond hair, and I'll be with a short grumpy British guy (my husband).  smile.gif

yeah, I wanted a mission too, I guess its for the best though- I have a group presentation tomorrow and don't have time to do anything before I leave. Stag sucks, but I'm going to make the best of it. I wish it were an all ages show, or at least on the weekend, that way I might be able to bring someone. Ahh well, I'm just going to be happy I'm 21 and am able to get in.

I might be wearing a titans jersey... on the other hand, I might not. I have blondish curly hair that really needs to be cut. I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, so anyone feel free to say "Hi"
  • QUOTE (joeywade @ Apr 11 2005, 09:56 PM)
    yeah, I wanted a mission too, I guess its for the best though- I have a group presentation tomorrow and don't have time to do anything before I leave.  Stag sucks, but I'm going to make the best of it.  I wish it were an all ages show, or at least on the weekend, that way I might be able to bring someone.  Ahh well, I'm just going to be happy I'm 21 and am able to get in.

I might be wearing a titans jersey... on the other hand, I might not.  I have blondish curly hair that really needs to be cut.  I'm not the most outgoing person in the world, so anyone feel free to say "Hi"

Joeywade, did you go? Sorry I missed you if you did.....where did you stand?
    I was right in front of Rusty. That was sooooo much fun!
    smile.gif