In this Discussion

august & nude damian

edited November -1 in OK Go
In a weird little twist of fate, I'm visiting Texas this week (instead of sitting at my desk in my little gray cubicle in Chicago)... and what do you know, OK Go is in the Lone Star State as well. So, with not much else going on, it was a no-brainer that I'd drive to Houston for the show last night. It was so good to see the boys (it's been almost two months!), and hear the new stuff again. It was also quite entertaining to watch my friend's reaction to the C-C-C-Cinnamon lips dance. All of it worth the four-hour drive.
Anyway, during the show, Damian mentioned that they have a new album coming out...in AUGUST! After the show, I asked why it got moved from July. He said that the album is now supposed to come out on August 16, which will give the record company more time to do a good job of promoting it and making sure it gets lots of press and all that. So I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer now... UGH
But, in better news, apparently Mr. Kulash did pose for a (mostly) nude photo for Jane magazine, which will give us something else to look forward to this summer.

Comments

• AUGUST?????

At the rate this CD is getting pushed back, it'll never get here. I have to change my icon now..
  • Oh, yeah, one more thing... I think that there's a glitch in the tour schedule that someone posted today. I don't think they're playing two shows in Chicago. I was looking at the Kaiser Chief's website earlier, and it has them playing at the House of Blues in San Diego on June 12, not Chicago. sad.gif
  • QUOTE (poison @ Apr 21 2005, 04:23 PM)
    Anyway, during the show, Damian mentioned that they have a new album coming out...in AUGUST! After the show, I asked why it got moved from July.

I could've sworn they said that at Seminole, too, but thought I had to have heard him wrong or something. Boo. Oh well, at least it's good reasoning.
    I've never heard of this Jane magazine, but I think I need to find out more about it. Ooh.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Apr 21 2005, 04:28 PM)
    Oh, yeah, one more thing... I think that there's a glitch in the tour schedule that someone posted today. I don't think they're playing two shows in Chicago. I was looking at the Kaiser Chief's website earlier, and it has them playing at the House of Blues in San Diego on June 12, not Chicago. sad.gif

I have no clue, I just posted exactly what was posted on the tour dates page of the website (OK Go website).. though you're right, there wasn't anything listed on the Chicago HOB site... which sucks because otherwise I would have gone.

Someone (Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore?) should fix that if it's incorrect.
  • QUOTE (poison @ Apr 21 2005, 04:23 PM)
    Anyway, during the show, Damian mentioned that they have a new album coming out...in AUGUST! After the show, I asked why it got moved from July. He said that the album is now supposed to come out on August 16, which will give the record company more time to do a good job of promoting it and making sure it gets lots of press and all that. So I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer now...
    Hrm, maybe OK Go will hit mainstream soon, which scares the selfish and somewhat snotty part of me that likes to consider them indie rock even tho they're on a major label...
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Apr 21 2005, 08:15 PM)
    Hrm, maybe OK Go will hit mainstream soon, which scares the selfish and somewhat snotty part of me that likes to consider them indie rock even tho they're on a major label...

haha it's okay. i bet a lot of us wouldnt know who they were if they weren't on capitol.
    and they semi-made it mainstream. and people that i know know them as the band that sings "that one song" and then when they hear it, they're like "OoooohhHHH THAT song!"
  • You're joking, shades blink.gif ?

QUOTE (poison @ Apr 21 2005, 09:23 PM)
    But, in better news, apparently Mr. Kulash did pose for a (mostly) nude photo for Jane magazine, which will give us something else to look forward to this summer.

Awwww, glamorous indie rock'n'roll is all I want wink.gif.
  • No joke, setsumi...But of course the selfless and rational part of myself would be happy for them if/when they chart on the Billboard and gain more fame and wealth. I just wonder if I might lose interest once they become really big. I can't help it.

Actually, I wouldn't have known about OK Go if I didn't take an interest in finding out how supporting acts to bigger acts sounded. (Phantom Planet toured with Incubus, so I checked out PP's music, liked it, went to their show, then lo and behold OK Go. I also got involved with college radio that year. So it would change my music world if/when OK Go or any of my other fave bands that I discovered with college radio were to hit mainstream.)
  • AUGUST. ohmy.gif

Oh my.

I wouldn't have known about them if they weren't on Capitol... a couple years ago when a band that I'm friends with got signed, i joined the record label mailing list to see how well they'd be promoted... one day Ok Go was in the mailing list and I clicked to listen to some songs. I believe it was YSDH and Dont Ask Me.

Yeah, I was totally in love from that point on. wub.gif
  • haha i can agree with shades, i kinda like being able to say, "hey i know this really cool band you should check out" to my friends, but once okgo gets huge (which is going to happen cause they just rock too much for it not to happen) i wont be able to introduce my friends cause then they'll be all mainstream. sigh, but i will be happy for them.

did this post make sense?

basically i totally agree with shades o' blue
  • it does. and i do enjoy telling people about new bands. but ok go getting huge is inevitable, unfortunately. that would hopefuly mean more tours and such, but yeah. my friends all know how obssessed am i with ok go. i just hope none of ok go fans go all "i hate ok go" because theyre mainstream. i hate people who hate a band because they are mainstream. i think it's completely different when you get sick of a song (i love maroon5, but i think they got overplayed, and i now hate 1/3 of their cd. and before they were famous, i told my friend about them, and she loved them. and now she hates them because theyr efamous.. which pisses me off). but yeah, if anyone goes "i hate ok go" JUST because they got famous, someone's getting beaten up.
  • QUOTE (RejectedSponge @ Apr 23 2005, 04:44 PM)
    but yeah, if anyone goes "i hate ok go" JUST because they got famous, someone's getting beaten up.

Nothing changes about the music itself if they get popular; I agree, that's definitely a stupid reason to not like a band anymore.

I do think the radio ruins songs by overplaying them, though. I couldn't even count the number of songs that I've loved by finding them online or on CDs, but then growing to hate them when it's on the radio every 5 minutes ("Boulevard of Broken Dreams" anyone?)

Shades, that's how I discovered OK Go too, seeing them open for someone else. I first saw them open for the Donnas (which I didn't really even like, but it was something for a bored group of friends to do). Needless to say, I'm very glad I went to that show!
  • i know! I am so sick of Boulevard now... and that sucks because it's reallly good song. The first time i heard it, i fell in love becaues it described me so well. And now I'm so sick of it. Stupid radio.
    Yeah. I think the only thing that DOES change about the music is that it's better quality. Like, the new Hot Hot cd, a lot of people i've tlaked to don't like it as much because it sounds so different. I really don't think it does. I just think it's the quality OF the sound and all that. Who knows though.
  • its the old sell out and betray your first fans arguement. haha i really dont think that "selling out" is such a bad thing UNLESS you change your music, personality or ethics just to be mainstream or whatever...

...kinda like how good charlotte looked like normal people (normal for lack of a better term) when their first cd came out, and then....all of a sudden they get on tv and are all wearin black eye liner and stuff *shudder* (sorry if you're gothic and my shuddering offends you blink.gif i know lots of nice gothic people, but that doesnt mean i have to think their black eye liner is cool)
  • If you're a fan of a band, then you're a fan of a band. Just because they go mainstream is no reason to stop liking them. People are so ridiculous sometimes.

haha! Yes Seifer, I totally agree about Good Charlotte. As long as the band is the same music-wise, personality-wise and ethics-wise...why stop liking them? blink.gif I don't think I get it. lol.
  • QUOTE (Seifer @ Apr 23 2005, 07:27 PM)
    ...kinda like how good charlotte looked like normal people (normal for lack of a better term)  when their first cd came out, and then....all of a sudden they get on tv and are all wearin black eye liner and stuff *shudder* (sorry if you're gothic and my shuddering offends you blink.gif i know lots of nice gothic people, but that doesnt mean i have to think their black eye liner is cool)

yeah I listened to them when their first album came out, then after the second one all of us old fans were like wtf happened to Benji? He's not goth at all...I hate when people do that. But I for some reason can't see Damian suddenly beginning to wear eyeliner. It would clash with his clothes.

Though I must say that some guys look really, really good in eyeliner.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Apr 23 2005, 07:38 PM)
    But I for some reason can't see Damian suddenly beginning to wear eyeliner. It would clash with his clothes.

This made me picture a gothic Damian... I don't know if that would be the best look for him tongue.gif
  • August? Ugg. This reminds me of when the first album kept being pushed back... it was released seriously like 6 months after they originally said it was going to.

I want my songs, damnit!

~Rachael
    at work
    and writing a paper on the style of Birdcage (1996)
  • I thought about this after i talked to Damian after the concert i went to. I only want the best for okgo bacause if you'd saw the look Damian had in his eyes when he told me he wanted to find bigger venus to play in, you would to. the only thing that scared me is that they would loose the contact with the fans. I have never a band so will to find out about their fans. most "mainstream" bands you have to know a guy who knows a guy to even get backstage. Also i love the fact that Okgo only cost me 8 bucks to get in but hey... i'm cheap like that
  • Yeah Damian told me about the nude photos but I didn't ask what magazine....Thanks for telling us!!!!!!!!