Death From Above 1979

edited November -1 in General Discussion
You know that volatile two-piece, synth/metal/rock band from Toronto?

It's possible that I may be able to interview DFA1979 in the near future, and I'm always open for input. I know there has to be some fans here, cuz I remember from the old board. And I like you guys, so I'll come here for any suggestions on topics or questions for the band.

Thanks, yo.

Comments

• loveeeee them.
    if i think of any i'll come back.
  • Hey, I'm going to see their show on May 13th in Osaka.
    Here're my questions, I don't know whether they're useful or not.

*What do I expect from DFA 1979 concert?
    *To enjoy myself at your show, what should I bring?
    *DFA 1979 is duo. Limitation of band mates doesn't limit creativity?
    *What is your music made from? To me, it smells like sex...

Interview for your radio show, shades? As usual and unfortunately, I cannot listen to it tho.
    Good luck to you!!!
  • QUOTE (setsumi @ Apr 13 2005, 06:40 AM)
    *What do I expect from DFA 1979 concert?
    *To enjoy myself at your show, what should I bring?
    *DFA 1979 is duo.  Limitation of band mates doesn't limit creativity?
    *What is your music made from?  To me, it smells like sex...
    Thank you, setsumi....Ahaha, a couple of those questions could lead to answers that could get me in trouble! I may also need to rephrase.

I was only able to catch their late show in Detroit (they had 2!) this past Saturday, so we couldn't do an interview then. I have a phone interview scheduled for this Sunday, so if anyone else has any suggestions for questions or topics, I'd appreciate.

Sai, I imagine you saw them sometime in the past week. Any comments or suggestions?
  • Hrm, maybe not as many fans as I thought...
  • haha.
    I think there're more DFA fans here. Spring break? I see few regular boardies these days.
    You're going to talk with them on the phone this Saturday, shades? Let us know how it was, please.
  • nope actually i saw them in the fall, and they're just... so amazing. when my friend introduced me to them last summer i was like this is awesome but i bet it transfers poorly to their live shows, and she was like no i saw them and it's just absolutely insane, and yeah. it's just... ahhh so good. i wish they would play all ages shows more often.

but if i were to ask them one question i'd probably ask.. something along the lines of have they ever thought of incorporating guitar for a later album or anything cause that would obviously end up with a much different sound than they have now... thats kind of a sucky question, i'm bad at this type of thign though.
  • QUOTE (minia @ Apr 21 2005, 10:48 PM)
    nope actually i saw them in the fall, and they're just... so amazing. when my friend introduced me to them last summer i was like this is awesome but i bet it transfers poorly to their live shows, and she was like no i saw them and it's just absolutely insane, and yeah. it's just... ahhh so good. i wish they would play all ages shows more often.
    but if i were to ask them one question i'd probably ask.. something along the lines of  have they ever thought of incorporating guitar for a later album or anything cause that would obviously end up with a much different sound than they have now... thats kind of a sucky question, i'm bad at this type of thign though.
    Thank you, Sai. Actually, that's a GREAT question! I think they already have a concept of how they want to do their next album but haven't disclosed to any press that I know of. I'll try to get some details...

I had a chance to request either Sebastian, Jesse, or both for the interview, but I didn't have a strong preference and let their people pick for me. I get Sebastian this Sunday. It will be pre-recorded to play on my show sometime in the near future. But, setsumi, I will post how it goes.

Yes, I saw them in the fall too and was totally impressed with their intense performance, definitely insane to see just the two of them produce such magnificent noise! I suppose their sound and image is not really all-ages-friendly tho.
  • here's a dumb question, any particular reason max wienberg jumped in and played drums on the last half of romantic rights when you were on conan?.. and how'd you keep a straight face when he was struggling to take his coat off to do so?.. cuz i was laughing my ass off...
  • Ah, good one! Thanks, darbie. Sadly, I missed that Conan performance becuz I didn't even know about it! I will have to ask about that.
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Apr 21 2005, 10:42 PM)
    Sadly, I missed that Conan performance becuz I didn't even know about it!  I will have to ask about that.

actually i missed it too, but luckily found a download of it on the internet... and now i watch it over and over and over again...
  • death from above 1979 on conan, it's 185mb, so if you're on dial up, i don't suggest attempting this unless you want to be downloading for days, haha... http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33SFJS4...QS0TOXXHOQUTLBZ
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Apr 22 2005, 03:06 AM)
    death from above 1979 on conan, it's 185mb, so if you're on dial up, i don't suggest attempting this unless you want to be downloading for days, haha... http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=33SFJS4...QS0TOXXHOQUTLBZ
    WOW. That was SWEET. Kudos for the link! I had to wait until I got on an office computer to watch it tho (dial-up at home).
  • Haha, that video was hilarious! Well, the Max part. I really liked the song though, I guess I'll have to look into the band..
  • QUOTE (sweetpea0431 @ Apr 25 2005, 10:43 AM)
    I really liked the song though, I guess I'll have to look into the band..

yes yes, you most definitely should!.. http://www.deathfromabove1979.com
  • We're rescheduling the interview cuz they were shooting their video Sunday night...
  • by some weird fluke, the mini-disc player errored at the beginning of the interview and it wouldn't let us start recording right away. this kinda ticked off Sebastien cuz he was on roaming minutes. so i began the interview a couple minutes or so before we could finally get it recording...overall, this has been a strange experience...

setsumi - i touched on a couple of your topics, i think.
    sai - your question was covered.
    darbie - i tried to to ask yours indirectly, but i guess he didn't get it. he talked about the experience tho.

if anyone is interested, i plan to air the phone interview with Sebastien sometime during my show at WHFR on Tuesday, May 10th, from 1-3pm EST.
  • oh yikes. ill be at school, but can you post the answer to that one question i asked? thatd be awesome.
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ May 2 2005, 05:37 PM)
    if anyone is interested, i plan to air the phone interview with Sebastien sometime during my show at WHFR on Tuesday, May 10th, from 1-3pm EST.

i'll be sure to listen then... sadly i won't be able to hear the whole show today, as i have errands to run...
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ May 3 2005, 11:28 AM)
    i'll be sure to listen then... sadly i won't be able to hear the whole show today, as i have errands to run...
    Aw, ok...but i'm still dedicating the very last two songs of my show to you today....two very cool unreleased songs in your name. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ May 3 2005, 12:38 PM)
    Aw, ok...but i'm still dedicating the very last two songs of my show to you today....two very cool unreleased songs in your name. smile.gif

biggrin.gif
    i'm still listening...
    i put off grocery shopping til later...
    i mean really, who needs food when you can listen to the i and a rock route?!?