In this Discussion

Lollapalooza

edited November -1 in OK Go
-ed. by Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore

Just got home from Lolla. It was amazing. I ran all the way across Grant Park (with sweetpea0431 following closely behind) to snag a spot in the front for myself and three other boardies. The boys served up a fine plate of rock. In BettyNLBboop's words, "Damian opened up a bag of rock and smacked us with it." They sang a good mix of old and new, and threw in a Violent Femmes cover as well. DK, in fine rock star form, leapt off the stage and ran down the center aisle, climbing up the scaffolding of the sound booth and rocking out there, before charging the stage and vaulting himself to yet more rock. During Get Over It, he broke it down with some of "Hot in Herre", although sadly, despite the 100 (one zero zero) degree heat, none of the boys removed any clothing. OK Go finished the all-too-short set with their fabulous new dance.
The "meet and greet" at the Virgin megastore tent was short but sweet. As always, it was a treat to chat with the boys after the show (and get the shirt I was wearing signed by Mr. Kulash), however, it was disappointing that we didn't get to talk with them longer, but that was clearly out of their control.
In other news, there were a few "ghost of Andy Duncan" sightings at Lolla, which was a pleasant added bonus. Kaiser Chiefs rocked it hard on Saturday (The Warlocks did not), even though Ricky wasn't feeling up to par, but was healthy enough to slide in a few snarky comments directed at Liz Phair. Big group singalong during Weezer, Spoon was amazing as always, Louis XIV was breathtaking...
and we met met Billy Idol....

Comments

• After my thermometer read 105 in the shade today... I realized I was ok withing having sold my tickets tongue.gif
  • Not going with you, Pam, and Carin is sure to be one of my biggest regrets.

I'm glad you guys had a blast, though.
  • Heehee, the dance was so cool.
  • The only band better than OK Go at Lolla was the Pixies...but then again, to me, the Pixies cannot be topped(Gigantic was phenominal!!!!!!!).

After a long Saturday day, followed by a night at the South Loop, I dragged my ass out of bed and tredged back to the 'palooza grounds in time for OK Go on Sunday, who did a fantastic job, particulary despite the heat. I'd stick it out in 100 degree temps any day to see them rock out; kudos to the dance.

Other bands that rocked...

Redwalls
    ...trail of ther dead
    Dashboard (though I only got to see the end)
    The vitol Idol (aka Billy)...who consequently made it rain
    Weezer was okay
    PIXIES
    OkGo
    Kasabian
    Dino Jr.
    Killers
    Death Cab

I took an intermission from the heat to see Wedding Crashers...which was funny btw.
  • Now that I'm home and settled, let's see what I can add.

The blistering heat was almost too unbearable on Sunday, though the thought of seeing OK Go again kept poison and I running all the way across the park to get some front row spots. Luckily that area was still in the shade so we weren't dying yet. The set itself was amazing as always (though noticibly absent were "Crash the Party" and "Television Television"). Dan looked incredibly dapper in a new pink striped shirt and pink sunglasses (you know what they say, it takes a secure man to wear pink haha). I felt a little bad at the meet and greet because they cut the line a little while after we had been through, and let me tell you, that was one long line! I didn't expect so many people wanting to meet them!

As for Billy Idol, that was just too cool. After securing front row spots and meeting some nice women who were clearly in love with him, the show started.. and I caught a signed drumstick (though I did have to fight for it, and I have a few scratches on my hand haha).

Kaiser Chiefs get better and better each time I see them. AND I got an awesome picture of Ricky playing the cowbell.

The crowd for The Killers was huge, and I think we were all delusional from the heat.

I took a heck of a lot of pictures, so I only put up some of them, check them out if you want: Lollapalooza 2005
  • So much love for the ghost of Andy Duncan.
  • Everyone else has, for the most part, said all that I have to say. OK Go rocked and smacked us with that crazy bag of rock. And they smacked us hard. Meeting Billy Idol might've been the best part of it all, but really, can you blame me? It's Billy Idol...he's a legend. I'd have to rate that weekend as the greatest weekend in a long time. And now that I'm finally home(Pam and Kristin, I have one crazy/horrible story to tell you), I'll be setting about uploading and posting pictures.
  • "Dancing With Myself" came on the radio while I was at work today, and I freaked out a little. Then I told my co-workers how I fought with a girl after she tried to take the drumstick that he threw at me, and showed them my war wounds... and they thought I was crazy. Oh well, it was Billy freakin' Idol!!
  • QUOTE (sweetpea0431 @ Jul 26 2005, 11:29 PM)
    "Dancing With Myself" came on the radio while I was at work today, and I freaked out a little. Then I told my co-workers how I fought with a girl after she tried to take the drumstick that he threw at me, and showed them my war wounds... and they thought I was crazy. Oh well, it was Billy freakin' Idol!!

SOO happy you guys had an awesome time - i want complete details in LJs and over msn!
    It was a shame I couldnt get there! (fucking work)
    I shall make the trek to wherever i Need to go in order to see em live!
    HOpefully you guys can come up to the tdot (or gta area in general) and we can CHILL - and "dance" Muahha haua

Im going nuts here at work - save me!
  • I agree with BettyNLBboop, everyone has pretty much said what I would say about the OK Go show at Lolla. It was my 4th, and I think it was the best one yet. Damian seemed much more like a rockstar than ever before. Can't wait for Aug. 30!

Spoon was so so good....I guess one of the reasons I enjoyed their show at Lolla so much was that they set up their own equipment and just jammed a little bit before they actually started playing. They really seemed to enjoy themselves, which makes the show a lot more fun for the fans.
  • QUOTE (Guytron24 @ Jul 27 2005, 12:34 PM)
    I agree with BettyNLBboop, everyone has pretty much said what I would say about the OK Go show at Lolla.  It was my 4th, and I think it was the best one yet.  Damian seemed much more like a rockstar than ever before.  Can't wait for Aug. 30!

Spoon was so so good....I guess one of the reasons I enjoyed their show at Lolla so much was that they set up their own equipment and just jammed a little bit before they actually started playing.  They really seemed to enjoy themselves, which makes the show a lot more fun for the fans.

I totally agree with you - when bands look like they are having fun the show is much more exciting for the fans!
    I remember when i saw the Kaiser chiefs - i was blown away by the enthusiasm of their live show!
    OK GO kicked massive ass that night too SOOO INTO THE SHOW - I was like w00t w00t!
    HAHAH we were totally only there for ok go anways! LOL
  • From a New York Times article by Jon Pareles that I found:

New Wave and 1960's Garage Rock

Only the foolhardy and the dedicated arrived for the noontime hour of Lollapalooza in 91-degree heat. But that didn't stop one of the day's first bands, OK Go, from performing in jackets and ties, socking out songs that split the difference between new wave rock and its 1960's garage-rock roots. Not only that-at the end of their set they put down their instruments and as their next single, "A Million Ways," was played through the P.A., they stood side by side and started a full-length dance routine: swinging and crossing their arms, pivoting and semaphoring, even throwing mock-punches to the beat. N'Sync has nothing to fear, but the Monkees should look to their legacy.
  • 91 degrees??? ONLY 91 degrees??? I won't believe that, it felt a hell of a lot hotter than that, and we were in the shade!
  • QUOTE (sweetpea0431 @ Jul 27 2005, 08:44 PM)
    91 degrees??? ONLY 91 degrees??? I won't believe that, it felt a hell of a lot hotter than that, and we were in the shade!

So the fact that we ran across Grant Park to get a good spot in the front, does that make us foolhardy or dedicated, considering the heat?
  • Dedicated. Most definitely dedicated laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (sweetpea0431 @ Jul 27 2005, 08:53 PM)
    Dedicated. Most definitely dedicated  laugh.gif

Defo.

Ha Ha Ha
  • OK Go mentioned @ Rollingstone.com (Lollapalooza):

The next day, another Chicago Act, popsters OK Go, played an early mainstage set. "The whole thing feels very real -- you don't have to drive three hours into the middle of nowhere," frontman Damian Kulash told Rolling Stone of Lollapalooza's new hometown. "It makes our homecoming triumph feel that much more surreal and oversized."

The rest of the article is here.
  • I agree with everything that has been said here already.

OK Go was definitely the highlight of the whole festival, with The Killers, Weezer, and Cake close behind. Although I have been a big fan for three years or so, this was my first ever OK Go show, and it did not disappoint at all. Being front row didn't hurt too much either smile.gif

For the meet and greet, my friend and I waited in line for more than an hour before they cut off the line four people ahead of where my friend and I were. So I ran over to the golf cart-y thing that they were being transported on, and I frantically tried to get a picture to work but my camera wasn't working. So I explained the situation to Damian while I hurriedly tried to fix my camera--how I was a big fan and had been looking forward to meeting them for so long and then the line got cut off, and he apologized that I hadn't gotten my CD cover signed, so I gave him a Sharpie and he signed it for me, and by that time, my camera had stopped freaking out, so I got a quick picture of Damian smiling for me. Then some security guard told me I had to leave, but I got a picture of Damian waving goodbye to me as the golf cart pulled away.

I really wish I had gotten to meet and talk to all of the other guys, but given how much of a dork I am and how starstruck I was from just Damian, I probably would have embarrassed myself even more. But even so, it was a pretty awesome first OK Go experience!