In this Discussion

Damian Discovers The Internet

edited November -1 in OK Go
My friend and fellow grammarian, Damian Kulash, is now picking fights on blogs. Words are being said over which words are being said. Go read the thrust and the parry and then weigh in on the obsessiveness of it all. Extra points to the first person who defends Damian's argument in a clever and interesting way. Lots of extra points to the first person who, refusing to defend Damian, instead introduces the idea that his use of the word 'officious,' for which many less snobby synonyms exist, isn't the easiest way to win an argument over the far less snobby 'utilize.' And extra, extra, extra points if that person then gets Damian to respond in a comment, with even more points given if they win that new, secondary argument (yes, I realize this is impossible).

Are we clear? Me neither.

Either way, go comment on this ridiculousness: blogfight!

Comments

• Dami seems to have won his fight anyways =p

and any responce from me to the argument would be "OMG DAMNI IS RIGHT AND SO COOL"

so im out..
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Nov 30 2005, 02:50 PM)
    Dami seems to have won his fight anyways =p
    and any responce from me to the argument would be "OMG DAMNI IS RIGHT AND SO COOL"

so im out..

Oh, fine: and extra points for the first person to comment, no matter what they say.
  • huzza i can do that!
  • do i get any extra points for being second to reply?!?
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Nov 30 2005, 03:21 PM)
    do i get any extra points for being second to reply?!?

You'll get some small extra consideration, but in fairness to the swiftness of HFOC, you'll have to earn the bulk of your extra points through the quality of your answer.

Also, starting right now: extra points for humor, extra points for really nit-picky argumentative grammar lessons, and extra points for bringing up grammar in the context of some rock band from the past, or otherwise. Like ? and the mysterians or !!! or the many things that Five For Fighting could be used, all of them stupid.
  • QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore @ Whom I Adore,Nov 30 2005, 02:31 PM)
    you'll have to earn the bulk of your extra points through the quality of your answer.

was my response not quality?!? i worked a whole minute on it... haha...
  • Hmmm, I'm going to comment. I'm not so clever today, being that I'm extremely tired and my brain doesn't function so well under the circumstances, but I'll give it a shot.

What's it going to hurt?

Damian wins anyway, because he's Damian Kulash. That should be enough reason. biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (darbie_starpower @ Nov 30 2005, 03:36 PM)
    was my response not quality?!? i worked a whole minute on it... haha...

I didn't read your reply before posting that. You would have gotten extra points for bringing up the Amish, but you got them taken away for disparaging your own vocabulary. Jaded can get all your points, and more, by posting something about how smart she is, and how great her vocabulary is, and then ending the comment by saying something along the lines of "I'm sorry I have to embarrass the two of you with my ability to reason."

We don't disparage ourselves when it comes to vocabulary. That's the first rule of the OK Go Message Board. The second rule is: No uglies.
  • Well thanks for telling me how to comment now! I already commented, but it wasn't so clever for previous stated reasons.
  • QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore @ Whom I Adore,Nov 30 2005, 03:36 PM)
    I didn't read your reply before posting that.  You would have gotten extra points for bringing up the Amish, but you got them taken away for disparaging your own vocabulary. 

d'oh!..
  • i'm to clever to come up with anything.
  • haha.

im the wrong person to give that challenge to...

point in case- look at my response. im margaret-et-et-et-et-et.

im not even sure which point of view i was arguing for, but i had fun.

i hope i get points just for excessive length of comment.
  • I should get extra points for using the word 'vile'.

You know what, I could have utilized the word 'utilizing' for the above sentence.

I think I have to kick myself now, for my and Damian's sake. biggrin.gif
  • i couldn't help smiling when i read this part:
    (last night's outfit was a cacophony of plaids and stripes in shades of blue and green) biggrin.gif

anyway, i think they both made valid points... cool.gif
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Nov 30 2005, 04:16 PM)
    i couldn't help smiling when i read this part:
    (last night's outfit was a cacophony of plaids and stripes in shades of blue and green) biggrin.gif 

biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (76 @ Nov 30 2005, 04:57 PM)
    i'm to clever to come up with anything.
    you came up with either an interesting prepositional phrase or verb infinitive... you know i love you...just not as much as i love darbie. biggrin.gif

EDIT: can i win a "grammar geek" status?
    happy.gif
  • you can win the "who wants a kick in the keister" contest....
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Nov 30 2005, 04:31 PM)
    you came up with either an interesting prepositional phrase or verb infinitive... you know i love you...just not as much as i love darbie. biggrin.gif happy.gif

aww, she loves me so much she didn't point out my grammatical error...
  • i put my 2 cents in.

so do i get some points? tongue.gif
  • i do enjoy how damian said that "the guy who invented the word use was clearly an asshole." that made me so proud.