In this Discussion

Concerts

edited November -1 in OK Go
I hate to be such a downer...but why is it that it seems like OKGo is trying to make it really difficult to attend their concerts? I know they can't be everywhere at once or even everywhere at all. I also know that they need breaks and such. But why are most of the concerts during the week? My two favorite bands are in the SAME concert... and yet I am not able to attend because of pesky school and committments such as those. It's hard for people to get away from classes, work, etc. I am trying my hardest to get there but it's impossible to get to a concert another state away without getting really far behind. I'm not really looking for sympathy. I'm simply looking for a good answer to the question:

WHY ARE ALL THE BEST CONCERTS DURING THE WEEK?! mad.gif

Thank you for your time and patience with my rant. smile.gif

~\../,

Comments

• QUOTE (For_Singin_Out_Loud @ Feb 17 2006, 02:21 AM)
    WHY ARE ALL THE BEST CONCERTS DURING THE WEEK?! mad.gif

Because 5 of 7 nights of the week are school/work nights?

One word: priorities
  • yea i go to concerts on school nights... i'm really tired the next day but its totally worth it.
  • If you care about them enough to rant like that, then just go. Missing a day or two isn't a big deal.
  • 2.6/10 for the rant

go to the gig, school is school....
  • I agree, go to the show and miss school. You go to school every day, take a break when you want.

I'm going to do that in March when I go to a show that is on Sunday, but I don't mind . . . partially because I'm very eager to graduate.

Anyway, if the show is that important to you, then go.
  • Since I'm in a totally nihilist "why are we doing things that don't matter?" mood, go to the concert. A few assignments missed will not affect the rest of your life (future employer: "WHAT? You missed a day of school for an OK Go concert?! QUELLE HORREUR!" (sorry... just took a french test...)). This is one concert. You'll have hundreds more days of schooling, one day will not matter.

Besdies, sometimes it's necessairy to just rock.
  • QUOTE (Sadie @ Feb 17 2006, 02:46 AM)
    Because 5 of 7 nights of the week are school/work nights?

One word: priorities

Yeah, Sadie's got a good point. I understand your frustration, it is difficult to get out to see shows during the week. But since there are far less weekend nights than week nights, it's kind of necessary. Think of how many less shows there would be if they only played Friday and Saturday nights.

And I'm with everyone else- if this (ie going to concerts on a week/school night) is an occasional thing, and you really want to see the show, GO. If you're still in high school and your parents won't let you go, that's understandable. But I missed two days of school last semester to see Franz Ferdinand, and then I missed another day two weeks after that to see OK Go. And both of those shows were awesome and I'm really glad I went, even if it helped screw me over in school for the rest of the semester. tongue.gif

If you think it's worth it, then it's worth it.
  • hmm... yeah I agree w/ you.

of course, when Ok Go finally plays a friday night concert, in boston, it's an 18+ show.

One of my brother's friends offered to get me a fake id and sneak me in to the providence show, too, but, well, my parents (and brother too) wouldn't have let that happen. ah, well.
  • that always seems to be my problem when OK Go comes to Michigan . . . you have to be 18 to get in.

and with other shows, my mom won't let me go if it's far away. She had a big problem with me going to Detroit during the summer. And later she wouldn't let me go to Grand Rapids to see a show. dry.gif

But that will change in a few months.
  • your not 18 yet jade?
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 20 2006, 12:20 PM)
    your not 18 yet jade?

nope, in August.

did you think I was 18?
  • i thought you were way past 18

but im shite at judgeing ages
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Feb 20 2006, 08:01 PM)
    i thought you were way past 18
    but im shite at judgeing ages

hahahahahahha

that's funny

so in your mind I could drink legally?

amazing.

If it were only true smile.gif
  • gah, drinking...
    drinking? drinking is bad for you!
    why do people make such a big deal about drinking?
    it only ruins your liver, makes u act and look like a big big dummy,
    and it makes you dizzy and vomit. oh what fun. but to each their own...
  • QUOTE (oknow @ Feb 21 2006, 01:42 AM)
    gah, drinking...
    drinking? drinking is bad for you!
    why do people make such a big deal about drinking?
    it only ruins your liver, makes u act and look like a big big dummy,
    and it makes you dizzy and vomit. oh what fun. but to each their own...

But it does create random dance breaks where suddenly no one is self-conscious... and that's happy.

All in moderation, I think.
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Feb 21 2006, 02:17 AM)
    But it does create random dance breaks where suddenly no one is self-conscious... and that's happy.

All in moderation, I think.

Of course. And for the uptight stick-in-the-ass types (me), it's an excuse to lose your inhibitions.
  • bahhhh i just remembered the one time i was dying to go see rooney so much, i went, and got 1 hour of sleep before i had to go to school. this is why coffee is better than alcohol. haha
  • QUOTE (rooneyhappy @ Feb 20 2006, 11:30 PM)
    bahhhh i just remembered the one time i was dying to go see rooney so much, i went, and got 1 hour of sleep before i had to go to school. this is why coffee is better than alcohol. haha

You reminded me of the time way back in high school when I went to a Ben Folds Five concert across the state the night before a Calc exam. My friend & I went to the show and then went to a Steak & Shake for a few hours to study (where we were of course distracted by a couple of the bands coming by to hang out post-show).

After all that we didn't wake up the next morning & missed the exam. The teacher saw my friend and apparently told her something to the effect that she would expect that from me, but that she was disappointed in her because concerts are no excuse for missing tests.

But we all graduated in the end, and have gone on to do far more interesting things than Calculus. And I've talked to the teacher since then- she was probably the most hated teacher in our school because she was just merciless, but it turns out that she really liked it that I didn't take things too seriously. So yeah. Live!
    and with other shows, my mom won't let me go if it's far away. She had a big problem with me going to Detroit during the summer. And later she wouldn't let me go to Grand Rapids to see a show.

Where in Michigan do you live that both Detroit and Grand Rapids are far away? Just curious.

Anyway, original poster, I understand your frustrations. I couldn't go when OK Go came to Denver in...I don't remember it was. Sometime last semster. I couldn't go because it was a Sunday night and I had a class super early the next morning that I couldn't afford to miss 'cause I'd already used up all my absences. However, I am skipping rehearsal and going to see them tonight because, gosh darn it, I want to. So there.
  • QUOTE (Jaded @ Feb 21 2006, 01:22 AM)
    hahahahahahha

that's funny

so in your mind I could drink legally?

amazing. 

If it were only true smile.gif

well you can drink in england

so ill buy you a drink if you ever come here =p