In this Discussion

i can faint right about now....

edited November -1 in OK Go
i had known that okgo was going to be performing at the troubadour for two nights....little did i know that both nights were SOLD OUT!!!! i had put off buying tickets cuz i figured that they wouldnt be sold out that quickly....not that i'm not happy that they are becoming famous but i bet you that there will be a bunch of teenies who only know them because of their videos..i'm soo mad i couldnt get tickets sad.gif

p.s. is there anyone who has tickets who isnt going anymore smile.gif

Comments

• man. that must suck.
  • That's what I'm afraid of. sad.gif

And that's also why I really would like to see them during this tour before they play larger venues with teenies screaming everywhere.

It was much like this for the Dresden Dolls concert I went to over the summer. All these screaming teeny-boppers were there to see Panic! My friend and I couldn't get on to the floor, and we had floor seats. sad.gif
  • if it makes you feel any better, jade, ok go has always had screaming teenies in the audience even in the smaller shows, as far back as i know anyway...sorry!

edit: oh, make that true for at least michigan shows and chicago.
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Oct 1 2006, 03:08 AM)
    if it makes you feel any better, jade, ok go has always had screaming teenies in the audience even in the smaller shows, as far back as i know anyway...sorry!

I figured that much. They are pretty cute (that's an understatement smile.gif)

But it's going to be much worse.

I always do this when this happens to bands I like and I talk about them like a mad woman and then over night they are everywhere.

Oh well.
  • QUOTE (shades of blue @ Oct 1 2006, 09:08 AM)
    if it makes you feel any better, jade, ok go has always had screaming teenies in the audience even in the smaller shows, as far back as i know anyway...sorry!

That's a really good point. The number of teenyboppers is just increasing proportionally to the size of their shows.

And I'm really starting to get bothered by this "omg teenyboppers stooooooooooop!" rhetoric I keep having to read. Case in point, someone on the LJ community decided to make a post complaining about teenyboppers and how they're like dumb blondes and that OK Go needs to tour closer so he doesn't have to drive as far. You know what, dude? Keep the griping to your own LJ.

No, I don't like teenyboppers, yes, I worried about there being dozens of them who only know the dance videos, yes, I'm worried about concerts getting sold out and yes, I'd like to bitch out/punch the teenies as much as the next person. But you know what people? This was going to happen eventually. Honestly, it was only a matter of time before the guys hit mega-popularity (and believe me, they haven't even come close to mega-popularity yet). There's really nothing you can do about it.

/rant

That said, MusicJunky2, I think you have every right to be upset about not being able to get tickets. Please don't think my rant was directed at you. Also, I'm assuming that you meant the shows are sold out as opposed to cancelled? In that case, check out eBay- I was just there yesterday and there are several tickets for the Troubadour shows up for sale. And check Craigslist as well. All the usually spots.
  • What the hell is with everyone and this fixation against "teenies"? Get over it. Jesus. Just because they react differently to music then you doesn't give you the right to look down on them like a pretentious prick. Yeah they may be annoying, but they're buying the album and helping the guys get the recognition they deserve. There was a time when you didn't know anything about music either, and I bet that once upon a time a lot of you acted just like a "teenie" about a band like Nsync or something. Get over yourselves already. Stop being selfish about Ok Go and be happy that people are finally noticing them.
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Oct 1 2006, 05:28 PM)
    Just because they react differently to music then you doesn't give you the right to look down on them . Yeah they may be annoying, but they're buying the album and helping the guys get the recognition they deserve.

i agree with this statement
  • QUOTE (QueenofthePosers @ Oct 1 2006, 12:28 PM)
    What the hell is with everyone and this fixation against "teenies"? Get over it. Jesus. Just because they react differently to music then you doesn't give you the right to look down on them like a pretentious prick. Yeah they may be annoying, but they're buying the album and helping the guys get the recognition they deserve. There was a time when you didn't know anything about music either, and I bet that once upon a time a lot of you acted just like a "teenie" about a band like Nsync or something. Get over yourselves already. Stop being selfish about Ok Go and be happy that people are finally noticing them.
    I will assume you are not referring to me, as I don't have anything against "teenies," other than that they can be obnoxious. I still accept them as part of the audience and I even find them amusing. Furthermore, while I have never really behaved like the stereotypic "teeny-bopper," I know what it feels like now that I have witnessed OK Go's dances live! biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (MusicJunky2 @ Sep 30 2006, 06:27 PM)
    i had known that okgo was going to be performing at the troubadour for two nights....little did i know that both nights were CANCELLED!!!! i had put off buying tickets cuz i figured that they wouldnt be sold out that quickly....not that i'm not happy that they are becoming famous but i bet you that there will be a bunch of teenies who only know them because of their videos..i'm soo mad i couldnt get tickets sad.gif

p.s. is there anyone who has tickets who isnt going anymore smile.gif

sorry i put cancelled instead of sold out..i was soo mad that i couldnt even get the right words out...sorry for the mistake sad.gif

and i dont have anything against the teenies either..its just that 95 percent of the time *at least the ones that i've met* the only songs that they know are the ones that come out on tv... i'm happy that they are getting a wider fan base but that still doesnt excuse the fact that its not very fair that the fans who have known them for a long time and know at least a lot of their songs dont get any tickets....
    not to lengthen this rant that i'm writing but i went to an m5 concert last year and there were these two girls in front of my friend and i...when the band started to play their non-hit singles they would be like "what song is this? i've never heard it"...it just made me mad that true fans could have been in their seats *which by the way was front row* who truly deserved it instead of them...and again i'm not saying this about everyone...its nice for the people who have heard their music on the radio and become fans and have bought their cds....at least they know more than the basic facts!!! sorry for the huge rant... *steps off the soap box*

p.s. Jedi, thanks for the ebay suggestion..i might get the tickets from there if they are not soo expensive..
  • I'm not acting like a prick.

I can, but I won't. smile.gif

I'm glad that they're are gaining popularity, I really am. OK Go has worked their asses off for something like this, and they deserve every bit of it.

I knew this would all happen eventually; I've seen it happen many times before. This didn't jump at me like a surprise.

I'm afraid that because of the MTV crowds becoming fans, OK Go will end up being a fad band. They have a lot of staying power, but this new type of audience changes their minds about music quickly. Most of them only care about what's "in" at the moment and they'll move on in the future. I don't want to see this happen to OK Go because they are so amazing and talented.

You may say that will never happen to them, but it's happened before. And I really hope that it doesn't.

And that's my main concern with most of the new fans. I don't hate them for being new and giddy. If that's how they react to music, fine.
  • When I saw them in HMV on thursday there was a good 4 rows of like, 14 year old girls shouting 'we want your babies' at damian. I mean, do they even know what sex is? really?! I feel really proud that they're getting big, i had a massive talk about dan with it (although, I'm probably comfortable with it as I know that they know who I am, so I'll always have that i guess)
  • Anything I say to the effect of, "OMG I KNOW. THEY SHOULD BE KICKED OUT," would be totally hypocritical as I have often been one of those screaming girls. They are just as entitled to come to the shows as anyone else. They're giving the band support, which is wonderful. I only have a problem with it when people come to ogle at the band rather than enjoy the music. I'm just worried that a bunch of prepubescent girls screaming about wanting any of the boys' babies is going to take away from the actual concert. No one can enjoy the music with a bunch of girls screaming and yelling about god knows what. And we can all agree, it IS about the music, right?
  • QUOTE (tonetoile @ Oct 1 2006, 03:34 PM)
    Anything I say to the effect of, "OMG I KNOW. THEY SHOULD BE KICKED OUT," would be totally hypocritical as I have often been one of those screaming girls. They are just as entitled to come to the shows as anyone else. They're giving the band support, which is wonderful. I only have a problem with it when people come to ogle at the band rather than enjoy the music. I'm just worried that a bunch of prepubescent girls screaming about wanting any of the boys' babies is going to take away from the actual concert. No one can enjoy the music with a bunch of girls screaming and yelling about god knows what. And we can all agree, it IS about the music, right?

YES.

YES, IT IS.

THANK YOU. smile.gif
  • well, there are certain girls who I won't mention who lost their virginity in middle school to older boys... but that's not very often. and those 'uns would never ever like Ok Go in a million years, so it's all good.

And as for the teeny-bopper bit, I'm more afraid that I'll be mistaken as one and won't be taken seriously. I dunno, but I have bad experiences with people who think they're better fans than I am. I think my age works against me in those situations. However, if anyone actually says anything, I have more proof than they'll ever need that I'm not really like that.
    although I'll probably act teeny-bopperish, a bit, just because I'm 16 and its impossible for me not to, haha.

as for the teeny-boppers themselves, well- we'll all have to deal with them at one point or another, so we might as well get used to them, then ignore them, and eventually they'll drop out of our lives.

In fact, I hope Ok Go ends up something like Pearl Jam. They had one or two huge albums, millions of fans, arena tours and all; now, over a decade later, they're well-known, but they play smaller clubs and places, don't really get as many teeny-bopper fans, and are just as awesome and respected musically as they were at first. that's like, the perfect music career, imo.
  • what's funny is i can be like 'eww, teeny boppers' but put me within a 100 foot radius of ok go and i'm sure i'll degenerate into one of them anyway, even though i've seen them about 15 times already haha. oh well.
  • QUOTE (CinnamonLips @ Oct 1 2006, 10:16 PM)
    what's funny is i can be like 'eww, teeny boppers' but put me within a 100 foot radius of ok go and i'm sure i'll degenerate into one of them anyway, even though i've seen them about 15 times already haha. oh well.

Yeah, I'm such a hypocrite, because I'm always like, "teenyboppers.....! dry.gif " but I can act like such a teenybopper myself sometimes.
  • Not only did those tickets sell out, but they sold out in under 3 hours-- They went on sale at 10am, I had emailed myself a reminder and got into work late, so I frantically hit ticketmaster at 1pm and yeah, totally sold out. Luckily a couple days later someone came on this board selling his tickets for Monday night. wub.gif

The only things that bothers me about this... surge of fans... is that PEOPLE IVE BEEN TELLING FOREVER are like
    "Yahhhh Ok Go!" and I'm like, you a**holes, remember that time you wouldn't go to the show @ The Galaxy/TheThe Troub/Spaceland with me, and I had to go alone?" dry.gif

It irks me that I've been pushing this band forever, but it takes MTV for anyone to really listen. Whatever.

And-- yes, of course they deserve this, and we all knew it would happen eventually... but, just like others have said, I want them to be appreciated as more than "That band that dances." They, as a whole, are a fun, intelligent, classy, witty band. And Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore's newsletters are quality reading material cool.gif I just ask that they be fully appreciated, fully respected, fully enjoyed. Is that too much to ask? mellow.gif