In this Discussion

awfull description of the album "oh no"

edited November -1 in OK Go
I've just found this tho it's certainly not recent
http://www.youthink.ca/reviews/cds/5OctCDs/OK%20Go.html

by Irene Fisher – McRoberts, Richmond

"Disappointing sophomore album fails to make a splash.

Though they’ve received airplay on de rigueur indie show “The Wedge,” “Oh No” simply fails to live up to OK GO’s inexplicable indie buzz. From Franz Ferdinand to Hot Hot Heat to Kaiser Chiefs, all your favourite bands’ sounds are mimicked here, only problem is that OK GO fails to add anything fresh. Relying heavily on the lyrics, “Come on,” each new song is indistinguishable from the last, and the hidden track (running at more than 30 minutes!) is an utterly futile recording consisting mostly of white noise. This CD has its catchy moments, but for the most part, it’s a waste of plastic.

Irene’s fave track: “A Million Ways”"

She should listen to good music more often. I'm just speachless, I think you guys are the only ones who will understand my anger.

Comments

• this is old like you said

read it back in the day, didnt bother me then and doesnt now =p

im sure she has changed her tune in the last few months to "fit in"
  • When people know zero about music, they should just shut up. I'd like to see her opinion about the album now that ok go are having sucess...
  • I fail to see any of the other bands she mentioned in OK Go.
  • QUOTE (Polaris @ Oct 14 2006, 05:31 PM)
    I fail to see any of the other bands she mentioned in OK Go.

I disagree, actually. The first time I listened to Oh No, one of my very first reactions was, "Wow, parts of this record are really Franz Ferdinand-ish." I hear it particularly when I listen to the intros to Franz's "Micheal" and OK Go's "A Million Ways." I don't know what it is, but those intros remind me of each other.

That said, I don't know if what I'm hearing is from the songwriting or from the production quality. It could be both. I listened to an interview with Damian once (don't remember which...) where he pointed out that there's sort of this dark underside to all of Johansson's work. Maybe I'm picking up on that. I'm not sure.

Regardless of where the similarities lie, Oh No, however different from OK Go, does not sound like a carbon copy of Franz, nor any of those other bands. There are a lot of distinct differences. Just because they fall in the same genre of music doesn't mean that OK Go is mimicking those other bands. Oh No accomplished what the guys set out to do- a less complicated (production-wise, at least), grittier record that sounds more like they do in concert than their first record did. I hate when people excpect Oh No to be like, OK Go, Part 2, because really, if that happened, they'd be complaining about how it's just the same record over again.
  • There are many artists that in different phases of their carrers, create new types of music, that's called evoltution as an artist. Those who make the same records with different names on the cover, are no artists.
  • and also remember, it may be production's fault that oh no may have franz qualities. wasn't it produced by the franz producer?
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ Oct 17 2006, 01:02 PM)
    and also remember, it may be production's fault that oh no may have franz qualities. wasn't it produced by the franz producer?

First off, I don't think it's reasonable to say "it's the production's fault." That makes it sound like you're laying the blame. OK Go wanted to work with Johansson because of how he worked on Franz's first record, among other projects.

And yes, that's what I was talking about when I said I don't know if I'm picking up on the similarities between the music itself or the production quality, and that Damian himself has mentioned that there's this sort of darkness to all of Tore Johansson's work. That said, just because a band works with a producer doesn't mean their work is going to sound exactly like other bands that have worked with said producer. It bothered me when people found out Oh No was produced by Johansson and automatically said, "Oh, are they going to sound like Franz now?" (Granted, Oh No does a little bit, but still. It's the principle.) On the other hand, listen to The Cardigans' Gran Turismo (which I actually like far more than First Band on the Moon), Franz Ferdinand, and Oh No in a row. There's definitely something going on there between the three records.

Regardless of production quality or whatnot, it doesn't change the fact that all three bands play alternative pop rock (or whatever you want to label it as). And music isn't made in a vaccuum- try as you might, you're going to be influenced by whatever music's out there right now. But once again, just because they play the same genre of music doesn't mean that OK Go sounds like a carbon copy of Franz, like this reviewer is suggesting. Franz has a VERY particular sound (as do the Kaiser Chiefs, just to mention them), and I think it would be difficult for OK Go to copy them. And frankly, why would they want to?
  • Uh...
    Hidden track?
    They hid it well. Or I'm retarded.

Probably the latter. sad.gif
  • QUOTE (dobug @ Oct 20 2006, 12:53 PM)
    Uh...
    Hidden track?

if you don't feel like searching it (although it's hidden after the last track..), insert your cd into the computer and you'll see it..
  • QUOTE (dobug @ Oct 20 2006, 02:53 PM)
    Uh...
    Hidden track?

"9027 km." The one of Damian's girlfriend sleeping. Clearly this reviwer didn't get the memo...