In this Discussion

11/16/06 Avalon Show

edited November -1 in OK Go
Great Show! First off, they didn't take tickets! Anyone could have gotten in. All you had to do was show an over 21 ID and you got in.

Ok, now that I pissed you off for not going tongue.gif Here are the pictures I took last night

Hope you like them.

Also here are two videos on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee4Z1JvSOTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEk5jLJsr7o

Comments

• Very cool! Thanks for posting. These past few days, I almost feel like I've been to 5 different OK Go shows from reading and seeing everyone's reviews, pictures and videos! Love that!
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Nov 17 2006, 01:30 PM)
    Very cool! Thanks for posting. These past few days, I almost feel like I've been to 5 different OK Go shows from reading and seeing everyone's reviews, pictures and videos! Love that!

Thanks! I have some more pics but they are not as good. Ill be posting more video's that I took, but I can't do it right now. Check my YouTube account later this weekend.

DOH! I just found this link!

http://www.thephoenix.com/email/okgo-ticket.html
  • i love the picture that has tim playing the xylopone in it...he is a man of many talents
  • Those are great pics!! Thanks for sharing. Yay, good ones during the acoustic set!! And I love the one with the big Damian face in the back.

I'm still perplexed by those visuals during "Get Over It" ...

QUOTE (acme401 @ Nov 17 2006, 12:22 PM)
    Great Show! First off, they didn't take tickets! Anyone could have gotten in. All you had to do was show an over 21 ID and you got in.
    Are you sure? That sounds odd ... At the Chicago shows there weren't actual tickets, but that was because it was done will-call style--they had a list of names of who'd bought tix online and then you just showed your ID so they knew it was you ...
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 17 2006, 10:45 PM)
    Are you sure? That sounds odd ... At the Chicago shows there weren't actual tickets, but that was because it was done will-call style--they had a list of names of who'd bought tix online and then you just showed your ID so they knew it was you ...

100% sure, because I didnt have a ticket and I got in. No one checked any list or asked for ID other than to check age.
  • Wild!!

Cool videos, btw. I really like the bit of the acoustic set. And your audio's great!
  • Hi. Nate from (opening band) Scamper here.

Why are there two OK Go messageboards? I'd have told you all how to get in if I'd known this board existed.

Anyway. Some photos from the show are up on scamper.net, with more behind-the-scenes nonsense to come in blog form soon.

Hugs and kisses.

Hi Katy.
  • QUOTE (diggity @ Nov 18 2006, 01:31 AM)
    Hi Katy.
    Whoa! biggrin.gif

Hey, Mr. Nate, look at this thread:
    http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=2188
    wink.gif

Cool poster, btw.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 18 2006, 02:45 AM)

Yeah, I saw that one too, but decided to reply to this one since it seemed more relevant. At least in that it had been bumped more recently.
  • Relevant schmelevant. Means nothing around here.

biggrin.gif Just kidding.

Btw, what was that thing about one of you Scamper dudes finding one Mr. Kulash with his pants around his ankles backstage one time last year (?) ?? Seem to remember something about that on your website ...... What's that about???
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Nov 18 2006, 03:09 AM)
    Relevant schmelevant. Means nothing around here.

biggrin.gif Just kidding.

Btw, what was that thing about one of you Scamper dudes finding one Mr. Kulash with his pants around his ankles backstage one time last year (?) ?? Seem to remember something about that on your website ...... What's that about???

Everywhere I go, this story follows.

There's not much too it. Last fall we opened for them at a smaller club in Boston that doesn't have a huge backstage area for the bands, and certainly no separate dressing areas. All three bands were crammed into a little green room, and I stumbled in on our boy, sick as a dog, changing into his stage suit. I was delivering him two shots of whiskey to soothe his ravaged throat.

Juliette Lewis was also present, being utterly bizarre.

Naturally, this whole story was also recounted backstage last night.
  • Awesome, thanks for giving the details. biggrin.gif It was brought up so cryptically on the site that it seemed intentionally suggestive of God knows what ... although now that I think about it, I seem to remember it mentioning that he was sick, so maybe I just have a sick mind. Probably.

I had no idea it was so well-known that it followed you--sorry to bring it up as soon as you arrive here!

Juliette Lewis's presence definitely makes it bizarre. lol

And was fun had by all, regaling?
  • QUOTE (acme401 @ Nov 17 2006, 12:48 PM)
    Whoops, I didn't see this before, before I posted about the lack of tickets. That's cool biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (diggity @ Nov 18 2006, 08:31 AM)
    Hi. Nate from (opening band) Scamper here.

Why are there two OK Go messageboards? I'd have told you all how to get in if I'd known this board existed.

Anyway. Some photos from the show are up on scamper.net, with more behind-the-scenes nonsense to come in blog form soon.

Hugs and kisses.

Hi Katy.

BAH Nate found the Boards! Hi!

I guess I should have told you about them, I totally forgot. These are the cooler boards.
  • Ah,okay, I'm sure this review is going to be far too ridiculously long,but I blame that on lack of sleep and too much coffee whilst on vacation.

First off,I did a fan correspondent video with dan,and that'll be up on youtube shortly.It would be there already,but i can't upload the video to this laptop,so I have to wait until I get home and upload it to my desktop on tuesday. sad.gif

However! The show was absolutely fantastic! At first there was a bit of drama,I didn't know the show was 21+(I know,I know,ill informed of me.),but I was on the okgo guestlist,so I figured they'd let me in anyway.But,of course security didn't,so I had to stand there for a good 20 minutes just trying to reason with them,but they gave me the fake excuse that my name wasn't there,when I could clearly see it.Anyway,by the greatness of OKGo and their affiliates,someone talked to someone and before I knew it,I was inside the avalon ..shh.I mean,it's ridiculous,my DAD was with me at this show,that never happens! How much trouble can I get in to? Just about none. Anyway,that doesn't matter,so I'll move on to the actual show review.
    Scamper were great! Lots of fun,everyone seemed to be enjoying them,including myself.The journey cover was absolutely fantastic,including the fierce dance moves, heh. They had limited edition OKGo/Scamper shirts they were giving away at the merch table,but I didn't get one.They were really neat,though.They had elephants screenprinted on them and everything!
    Then,the cinematics took stage! They were lots of fun,too.A bit stiff,but still pretty okay.I wouldn't call myself great fans of their work,but they're easy to dance to,which is nice.I think I would have liked it better if I had known more of their material,but it wasn't boring or treacherous by any means. Funny,they're from Scotland,but I couldn't detect the smallest bit of an accent.Or maybe I was just going deaf standing next to the speaker.
    Of course OK Go were absolutely phenomenal.From the stage set,to the new interactive elements of their shows,and just overall quality,it was amazing.It was just like I remembered them seven months ago,but cleaned up and improved.Still rough around the edges,but the show is extremely cohesive and well planned,with a bit of spontaneity still thrown in there. Damian was a bit more candid that night than a few of the other shows I had seen of theirs,but I'm assuming that was because it was 21+,and he felt as though he didn't have to be so careful about what he said,which was absolutely hilarious. Hearing 'what to do' live and acoustic pretty much made my day,and I don't think I've ever heard "return" sound as good as it did that night.

Being backstage at an OK Go concert was fantastic.Given,I wasn't there long,I was there to do an interview,but it was so neat to see all of the boys really relaxed in their own element.I mean,Damian,Andy,and Tim were all around while I was interviewing Dan,and I didn't even say hi to Damian or Andy,because I didn't want to bother them.It was an experience in itself to see them as normal guys,who eat pizza and tell jokes.You know,when they're not dancing on treadmills and wearing suits and whatnot. All I can say is that they have to be the kindest band around,and that Dan is an absolute sweetheart.I fumbled over my words once or twice,needed help setting up my camera,and even still he was completely at ease and made me feel a bit more comfortable.Which,for the sake of the interview and my own well being was nice.I mean,I've met them all before on numerous occasions,I just think I was intimidated by the filming aspect as well as the awareness that my filming skills are still in the learning process.But,he said it went great,so I'll take his word for it. tongue.gif Anyway,as I said,that'll be online shortly,I hope you all will enjoy it.

Hm,I think that pretty much sums it up.
    In short,it was really great,and completely memorable.The only complaint(which isn't much of a complaint at all) is that I got home from the show around 1:30 in the morning due to horrible weather and had to leave almost instantaneously from my house after I returned home to go to the airport to catch a 5AM flight.Oh,what I do to go see OKGo shows. Totally worth it,though.
  • QUOTE (elleviesmusique @ Nov 18 2006, 10:34 PM)
    All I can say is that they have to be the kindest band around,and that Dan is an absolute sweetheart.I fumbled over my words once or twice,needed help setting up my camera,and even still he was completely at ease and made me feel a bit more comfortable.Which,for the sake of the interview and my own well being was nice.I mean,I've met them all before on numerous occasions,I just think I was intimidated by the filming aspect as well as the awareness that my filming skills are still in the learning process.But,he said it went great,so I'll take his word for it. tongue.gif Anyway,as I said,that'll be online shortly,I hope you all will enjoy it.

I love Dan. He's so great. I'm sure your interview was wonderful. It probably went much better than my interview with Tim, where I forgot my first question and it took me like a minute to remember and I only asked about four questions.

Sounded like you had a great time. I really want to see pictures of those OK Go/ Scamper shirts. Maybe I should take a look on the Scamper website and see if they have any.
  • QUOTE (elleviesmusique @ Nov 19 2006, 12:34 AM)
    It was an experience in itself to see them as normal guys,who eat pizza and tell jokes.

smile.gif Soo cool.

All I can say is that they have to be the kindest band around,and that Dan is an absolute sweetheart.I fumbled over my words once or twice,needed help setting up my camera,and even still he was completely at ease and made me feel a bit more comfortable.Which,for the sake of the interview and my own well being was nice.I mean,I've met them all before on numerous occasions,I just think I was intimidated by the filming aspect as well as the awareness that my filming skills are still in the learning process.But,he said it went great,so I'll take his word for it. tongue.gif Anyway,as I said,that'll be online shortly,I hope you all will enjoy it.
    Aw, that's so great! Looking forward to seeing it.

the show is extremely cohesive and well planned
    I was just thinking the same thing the other day, looking back on the shows. The set list flows very well. Good pacing throughout the show.

Glad to hear all the initial drama was worked out--that must have been nerve-wracking ...
    Thanks for the review.
  • QUOTE (elleviesmusique @ Nov 19 2006, 01:34 AM)
    They had limited edition OKGo/Scamper shirts they were giving away at the merch table,but I didn't get one.They were really neat,though.They had elephants screenprinted on them and everything!

QUOTE (ezorvera @ Nov 19 2006, 02:00 AM)
    I really want to see pictures of those OK Go/ Scamper shirts. Maybe I should take a look on the Scamper website and see if they have any.

Hippos. Not elephants. smile.gif

I assure you, we are totally out. We were embarassingly understocked; our merch girl reports that our limited supply was ransacked in about 10 seconds, with near Cabbage Patch / Tickle-Me-Elmo hysteria taking place at the merch table.

Here's a shot of them, anyway.

• That's such a cute shirt! Too bad there isn't any left because I would probably buy one.
  • QUOTE (diggity @ Nov 19 2006, 08:46 AM)
    Hippos. Not elephants. smile.gif

I assure you, we are totally out. We were embarassingly understocked; our merch girl reports that our limited supply was ransacked in about 10 seconds, with near Cabbage Patch / Tickle-Me-Elmo hysteria taking place at the merch table.

Here's a shot of them, anyway.

^^Uhbuh????

That's pretty much the awesomest thing ever. dry.gif

Elle- I'm glad you had such a good time! You know I would have been there with you if I could have.