In this Discussion

Holiday soooooooongs

edited November -1 in General Discussion
So I'm feeling a little sad right now because I've left ALL of my Christmas music at home in the States. I have nothing with me! Blargh. And it doesn't feel like December because it's too warm here (it feels like October, really), so I don't have music to put me in the mood.

Anyway. So I've been meaning for ages to start making a holiday mix list, and I never have, so I figured we could all list off our holiday favourites for each other. And if you're in the giving holiday spirit, you could, you know, share some of your songs with poor lil' me. sad.gif

Anyway. My favourite stuff:

1) "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra, aka "Carol of the Bells." I love this version. It gives me chills, and I could listen to it a million times over and not be tired of it.
2) "All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey. Yes, it's Mariah Carey (who apparently I look like??). No, I don't care. I love this song.
3) "Santa Baby" - Eartha Kitt, 'cause she's amazing. And hell, I want Tiffany's stuff, too.
4) "Veni Veni Emmanuel" - this is my favourite Christmas carol, and I much prefer it in Latin. Christmas Vespers at Smith is opened each year with this- it starts out a cappella and then swells in with the orchestra and everyone singing. Musically, it's so overwhelming that I wind up tearing up. I'm a dork. Shush.
5) Pretty much anything by Manheim Steamroller, but especially Christmas, because that's the record Daddy played whenever we came downstairs on Christmas morning. So many memories.

Comments

• i hate all cristmass songs

apart from the darkness song

ba-humbug
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Dec 6 2006, 09:24 PM)
    i hate all cristmass songs
    ba-humbug

Shush, you. Nobody said you had to participate. tongue.gif
  • Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack anyooonne?
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Dec 6 2006, 01:38 PM)
    Anyway. My favourite stuff:

1) "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra, aka "Carol of the Bells." I love this version. It gives me chills, and I could listen to it a million times over and not be tired of it.

video for the song

some of my favorites:
    merry christmas everybody-slade
    a wonderful christmastime-paul mccartney
    grandma got run over by a reindeer-elmo & patsy
    it's beginning to look a lot like christmas-johnny mathis (this one is mainly because home alone 2 is my fave christmas movie, haha)
    song about christmas-the snowballs (kinda stupid, but i like it, haha)

i'll post links to download these later when i have more time
  • Everyone go find Hark! Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens because it full of Christmas joy and it's put out Sufjan Stevens . . . so that should be reason enough.

But besides that, I'm not really into Christmas music unless it's put out by an artist I like (John Lennon, Paul McCartney, OK Go . . . ).

A band I like, the Singles, has a Christmas song out that's really neat. It's Beatle-esque.

The Singles -- Baby, it's Christmas

clicky the linky smile.gif
    Everyone go find Hark! Songs for Christmas by Sufjan Stevens because it full of Christmas joy

Pretty much the only christmas album i've been listening to this year. and occasionally the nsync christmas album and some random assorted covers.
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Dec 6 2006, 01:24 PM)
    i hate all cristmass songs
    ba-humbug

even fairytale of newyork by the pogues?

you mustnt hate that song!
  • Haha I love christmas songs!

And that Mariah Carey song sucks, the MCR cover of it is mucho better!

The only thing that annoys me about christmas is that it's right in the middle of summer here, and we experience heats of 36 C (about 98 degrees Fahrenheit)
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ Dec 7 2006, 02:32 AM)
    Haha I love christmas songs!

The only thing that annoys me about christmas is that it's right in the middle of summer here, and we experience heats of 36 C (about 98 degrees Fahrenheit)

goodness, that's crazy.

I like cold weather. Just not when it snows.

Oh, and Matt Pond PA has a christmas album, I do believe, if anyone likes them.
  • *Goshed* The snow is possibly the greatest thing in the world!

I can't stand hot weather, yuck.
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ Dec 7 2006, 02:56 AM)
    *Goshed* The snow is possibly the greatest thing in the world!

I can't stand hot weather, yuck.

I don't like snow because when I go out in it the bottom of my pants get all wet. and then when I come in, I have to deal with that.

So, the lesson about Jade is that . . . she doesn't like wet clothing. (but she jumps in the lake with her clothes on all the time in the summer . . . talk about crazy.)

I'm not partial to hot weather, either. I like Fall, because I'm partial to earth tones and sweaters. smile.gif
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Dec 7 2006, 05:53 AM)

i hate the pogues with all my broken soul
  • QUOTE (sweetness @ Dec 7 2006, 06:53 AM)

Barry and I were talking about that song just last night on the phone. I said I'd never heard it/heard of it, and he was all scandalised. And sort of upset. He went into that quiet, "I'm explaining something that's really beautiful to you and I want you to understand me" voice.

So apparently I have to go download it now, or he'll be upset.
  • download it and i will be upset!

HA!
  • My favorite Christmas Songs are:

"A Lonely Jew On Christmas" - South Park (because it applies to me personally)
    "The Chimney Song" - Twisted Christmas
    "The 12 Pains of Christmas" - Twisted Christmas
    "Father Christmas" - OK Go
    "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - OK Go - the OK Go songs are only on here because they're OK Go.
    "Deck the Halls" SHeDAISY - again, only because it's SHeDAISY
    "All I Want For Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey (the only serious Christmas song that gets airplay that I won't turn off upon hearing).
  • QUOTE (giggleguy @ Dec 7 2006, 03:32 AM)

True!!

QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Dec 7 2006, 09:18 AM)
    Barry and I were talking about that song just last night on the phone. I said I'd never heard it/heard of it, and he was all scandalised. And sort of upset. He went into that quiet, "I'm explaining something that's really beautiful to you and I want you to understand me" voice.

So apparently I have to go download it now, or he'll be upset.

I've never heard it either. I guess it's important?

"Christmas is All Around" by Billy Mack smile.gif
  • Everybody knows the Claus - Hanson

Because it's oh-so silly that it makes me laugh. I also have to confess that I don't know that many Christmas songs in english (I know all the Mariah Carey's and the most populat but I just don't know half of the ones you talked about in the topic, so my choice is more restricted)
  • ^^OMG I have the Hanson Christmas record at home, haha! I remember it well.

So have just downloaded "A Fairy Tale of New York." Um. Not so keen on it. Boy owes me $0.99 now. tongue.gif I should've gotten a satisfaction back guarantee this time around....
  • the pouges suck

you should have listened french face!
  • QUOTE (Head Full of Crazy @ Dec 7 2006, 10:35 PM)
    the pouges suck
    you should have listened french face!

I should've! Dammit. I can't even call him and complain, he's working the lights for a show tonight...