In this Discussion

Damian in 'Bust'

edited November -1 in OK Go
I woke up today, un-officially aware that I would run into something great. Today, was a 'service' day, in which, I volunteer my gift-wrapping talent to people who spend the majority of their lives reading books in a place made for buying them instead. This place, is Border's.

So I got there around 10:00 and I was already in a bad mood. I was sleepy and I had no obvious reason to be happy towards the people coming in and out of the store in an effort to finish Christmas shopping early. 30 minutes into my shift and an old grandma had called me a 'doorstop' after I held the door open for her, smiled, and said, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!".

By 5:00 I was worn out, having worked my arss off without pay. Thankfully, by that time, a fellow friend of mine had joined me in my quest to make others happy by wrapping their useless crap. (Who buys their wife a biography on George W. Bush?) We were scanning the magazine isles for something that would suffice as a suitable source of entertainment for another 10 minutes as we waited for our rides. After looking for about 5 minutes, I was just about to give up seein as to how my friend and I had come to the consensus of their magazine choices being partial to nudity at Border's. BUT, my friend came up behind me and whispered ever so lightly and timidly, "Look... this magazine has... Damian.. in it."

Why did she do this in such a sotto vocce way? Because, instantly I had turned around, grabbed the magazine, screamed, "OH MY GOD", and ran to the nearest chair to read.

In fact, he was there, looking glorious. The picture was so fine in fact that I purchased it at the price of $4.99. I left shortly afterwards and came directly to the computer to show you all my glorious find. Here is a crappy version of what the magazine looks like when shrinked to the un-readable size:

Mmmm...

The picture is somewhat visible, but, I highly advise invading the nearest book store or 'magazine holder' store as soon as possible to glimpse at it's glory.

Since I have naught a life that doesn't revolve around OK Go, I've happily typed the article out for your viewing pleasure::

When he steps into a room, it's clear: Damian Kulash is a dandy. Not full-out foppish, but definitely the kind of man who'd wear a pinstripe suit, floral tie, spit-shined black boots, and a diamond-studded women's brooch on his lapel. He was in this exact uniform when I sat down wiht him in a seedy N.Y.C. hotel bar, where he was a self-professed "total fucking spaz" since drinking a large coffee. After speaking with him awhile, it became obvious that he is not only a dandy but also a kind, quick-witted looker with a wise-ass sense of humor. Cue the sighs.

Kulash is the front man and lead singer for OK Go, a band whose absurdly catchy pop-rock is currently being featured on commericals, video games, and Top 40 radio. OK Go is also earning fans with their snarky, highly choreographed DIY music videos, shot on camcorders and feverishly downloaded by millions off of YouTube. Thier most famous routine, a dance spectacle involving eight simultaneously running treadmills, has to be seen to be believed. Kulash's sister, professional ballroom dancer Trish Sie, helps structure their outlandish moves. "[One] supercrazy routine we came up with for a TV show taping was sort of based on cheerleading shows we saw on ESPN and an *NSYNC video we rented." explains Kulash.

While OK Go's latest release, OH NO, is earning kudos from laypeople and rock critics alike, Kulash isn't too sophisticated to participate in mainstream culture. "I personally think that Justin Timberlake is a fantastic performer," he says. "I know I'm supposed to believe he's plastic and manufactured, [but] I love his music and entertainment ability. When you see someone like Justin Timberlake, it's hard not to be like, 'These people are different.' I feel like we're just a bunch of college kids who got lucky and didn't have to have office jobs."

Kulash's whirlwind career is the reason he's only been home for approximately three weeks this year and hasn't spent nearly enough time with his wife of seven months. "Normally one's life is not so packed with going out and making decisions," he says. "Every morning I feel like I woke up from being too drunk the night before, thinking, 'Oh God, what did I say? What did I do? Did we actually agree to do that? Oh, Jesus."

Ha, our 'total fucking spaz' has done his way with the clever ability of wooing the interviewers yet again. Or, atleast he has done so for me. Wife of 7 months? Wow, I thought they'd been together for longer. Anyways, highlight of the interview? Ofcourse his statements, but, 'total fucking spaz', as proclaimed by himself is the cutest thing that has graced my ears since being called a 'human doorstop' by that senile lady.

Anyways, enjoy, and please thank me for my extreme generosity in typing out that one-page article for you. I could have been selfishly reveling in it by myself, but nay, I have done this for you.

Comments

• woah!!!! thats awesome! nice find.
  • There was a thread about it awhile ago.

http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=2228

I keep forgetting to go look for it. There's a Borders that's five minutes away from my house (walking), but I still haven't gone. That shows how lazy I am.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Dec 9 2006, 06:41 PM)
    There was a thread about it awhile ago.

I keep forgetting to go look for it. There's a Borders that's five minutes away from my house (walking), but I still haven't gone. That shows how lazy I am.

Erg... Excuse my newbie ways. I guess, if no one has officially layed eyes upon it. My thread can prove useful atleast for this. *shrug* Anyways, terribly sorry for the unnecessary thread. Someone will come along and delete eventually, I guess.
  • Nah, they don't get deleted unless it's obvious spam like we have in General Discussion. That's why it gets pretty strict in these 'ere parts.
  • Thanks for taking the time to type it out. Twas nice of you.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Dec 9 2006, 04:41 PM)
    There was a thread about it awhile ago.

I was quite excited when I saw that thread! (Even though when I saw it his presence in Bust hadn't been confirmed), my friends made fun of me because I bought it the same day OK Go was in USA Today, and I bought that too, they seemed to find it hilarious that I bought two periodicals that I had no intention of reading (other than the OK Go-related bits) solely because they were in it.
  • I walked by the magazine section in Barnes and Noble but my peripheral vision caught 'DAMIAN KULASH' in one of the back rows. I wanted to rip the page out but it turns out I'm a big pussy :x lol, wow, 7 months...
  • I can relate to all of the various situations stated above. *sigh*

My friends also find it ammusing that I spend good money on magazines, newspapers, etc. that only feature one page articles of OK Go or any of their members. My theory is that, if the magazines, newspapers, etc. soon realize that their issues featuring them are the ones being bought, then they'll produce more with the same content. But, this still doesn't give a reason for my obsessive behavior... All I have to say is that it's MY choice whether or not I want to buy a crappy issue that only has one resplendent factor to it. Psh.

And yeah, as I said before, this thread can (I suppose) prove useful for anyone who hasn't come by its existence. But, I was foolish in coming to the general consensus that most would have never even heard of it at all. I looked at that thread and it dated back to about a month ago. That's some serious research.

And to whoever had said, "Thanks for typing it out though..." You're very welcome, =)
  • love the picture. i will try to tear it out of the magazine without a borders employee catching me.
  • I'm sure you could always sneak it into the bathroom. Just kinda pick it up and try to casually walk in there and then rip it in there. It would be better to try to do something like that fast with one quick tear. Can't really hide the noise out in the middle of the floor along with your nervous looks to make sure no one can see. Maybe leave a sticky not between the pages that would have it so that other OK Go fans in your area that see that mag don't end up buying it and finding out that it's not there. How much would that suck?
  • QUOTE (EcstaticGrandmas?! @ Dec 9 2006, 07:22 PM)
    OK Go or any of their members. My theory is that, if the magazines, newspapers, etc. soon realize that their issues featuring them are the ones being bought, then they'll produce more with the same content. But, this still doesn't give a reason for my obsessive behavior... All I have to say is that it's MY choice whether or not I want to buy a crappy issue that only has one resplendent factor

Yeah, for me it helps that I'm at art school, because we frequently are given assignments which require collages, color wheels made out of things you find in magazines, or comparisons between an ad you make and one you find in a magazine, so having a lot of ads helps!
  • I appreciate your typing skills. AND I lovvve that picture.
  • QUOTE (terren @ Dec 10 2006, 03:57 PM)
    I appreciate your typing skills. AND I lovvve that picture.

As you should. For both statements. =)

I think if I attend an OK Go show pretty soon I'll be having Damian sign that picture. It's one of the best posed and 'poised' pictures of him I've ever layed eyes upon. Personally I've always liked Damian caught in a particularly heated moment, something completely random and of unawares to himself. The pictures that so many fans take at shows often turn out to be the most appealin to myself, they feel more 'alive' or something, I can't quite explain my psychidelic attractions.
  • thanks for the posting!
    And I also like your writting skills!
  • Hm, I wonder where the nearest Borders is...
  • If I get to heaven, all the angels will look like Damian in this photo. <sigh>