In this Discussion

Sadam Hussein

edited November -1 in General Discussion
DEAD!
executed a few hours ago.

Comments

• Really? Well, they certainly jumped on that one...
  • Yeah, seriously, eh?
  • heh, nice knowing ya saddam.
  • Interesting judicial process in that trial......
  • sadam had a talent...
    even now, after his death, the way he died made the headlines because he was insulted right before and someone recorded the execution on a phone camera and has putten it on the internet.
    Seriously, he killed lots of innocent citizens, people really expected that he wouldn't get insulted during his execution??
  • someone recoreded his death?!! wow...has it hit YouTube and everything? that is crazy...i don't think i would ever watch it....jeeez....well...

CYANARA SADDAM!

(p.s. - how exactly does one spell the above word??)
  • QUOTE (hownifty @ Jan 3 2007, 08:01 AM)
    someone recoreded his death?!! wow...has it hit YouTube and everything? that is crazy...i don't think i would ever watch it....jeeez....well...

CYANARA SADDAM!

(p.s. - how exactly does one spell the above word??)

It's spelled Sayonara, and it means goodbye it Japanese.
  • i leave for a weekend and saddam dies... damn, i got some tremendous powers
  • I love that their way of starting a new democratic country based on respecting human rights blah blah blah begins with depriving another human being - no matter how despicable and evil - of their basic human right to live.
  • QUOTE (God @ Jan 4 2007, 12:49 PM)
    I love that their way of starting a new democratic country based on respecting human rights blah blah blah begins with depriving another human being - no matter how despicable and evil - of their basic human right to live.

God, you're back!

I seriously don't know if they should have killed him. Maybe it would have been better if they put him in an exhibit at a zoo. Then he'd have to listen to all the people cursing and yelling at him the rest of his life.
  • yeah I don't think they should have hung him. Seriously, he hasn't paid for all the atrocious things he has done. And infact it just makes them as bad as him. I don't think you ever havethe right to kill another human. Keep him in solitary confinement, make the rest of his life miserable, but killing him? Easy way out don't you think.
  • QUOTE (The End Has No Jen @ Jan 4 2007, 05:42 PM)
    yeah I don't think they should have hung him. Seriously, he hasn't paid for all the atrocious things he has done. And infact it just makes them as bad as him. I don't think you ever havethe right to kill another human. Keep him in solitary confinement, make the rest of his life miserable, but killing him? Easy way out don't you think.

I've always thought that. But the U.S. kind of looks for the easy way out of things . . . even if it's not the best way. Or just lately, at least. But to "make up" for this, they gave him a respectful burial and what not. I thought that was good. And the fact that it wasn't public.

My friend and I were comparing Hussein's death and Mussolini's death . . . which his was by far way worse than Hussein's. Though I think if it were played out like Mussolini's death, the whole situation would be a lot worse for everyone. So I think the governments were right in keeping it private. They still shouldn't have hung him though.
  • I don't believe in Capital punishment, I reckon it's wrong.
  • i think spending your life in jail would be infinitely worse than being dead...

I mean, when you're dead you go somewhere else (or not, depending on what you believe) I mean, what if Saddam is in the heavens right now with twenty perpetual virgins? (although that's very doubtful, but hey, I'm making a point.) OR you get reincarnated and are living again anyways, OR you go to hell and spend the rest of your life in eternal punishment, but thats still a state of being. OR, if you don't believe in any of that, then you're just over. nothing good or bad, just gone.

but if you spend your whole life in a jail cell, especially a highly-contained, high-security one like he'd be in, it truly is a waste, and a torture.

plus I disagree with the whole dying thing anyways.

also, isn't it odd that they chose to hang him? I mean, I though lynching as a means of capital punishment was pretty dead by now.... wouldn't lethal injection have been somewhat nicer? less painful?

I also think he shouldn't have been tried by the US... I mean, aren't you generally prosecuted under the laws of the place where the crimes were comitted? I mean, this was obviously international, crimes against humanity, all that, but I kinda think it would have been more fitting to prosecute him under his own laws.
  • Hi everybody - my first post, and I don't want to polemize but to build my point of view. The essence of all for me, is that he was punished believing that his acts were fair. He didn't die as a condemned killer who was conscious of the damn he caused to his country and neighbor countries and, for that reason had got his punishment. More than that, his life was finished at a moment that that country is not a paradise to be living in -in fact, as he said himself, the hell is there now. So, the people there may have an opinion that their life could be "better" before than now - and for this reason, the constant insurgences. Wouldn't it be nice if he had remained alive and could observe that he was so wrong all the time?

Marvin
  • With little/no knowledge about what's going on (I've been removed from the "real world" into a magical place known as "college world" where my Environmental Economics usurps watching BBCNews [though apparently not playing online. SO RESPONSIBLE]), I think the whole thing is ridiculous. It's as if killing Saddam will help the situation. "LOOK GUYS. WE KILLED THE BAD GUY." Yeah. Like that will do much. Really, we're alienating ourselves farter from the people we're already in conflict with (meaning the insurgents, not the ones who were wronged by Saddam. One would assume that his imprisonment and humiliation alone would be enough to placate this group).

I continue to feel that more and more events are shoved into our faces to distract us from what's going on. What happened to the argument about the troops not having adequate equipment (and we want to send MORE troops into Iraq)? There is too much going on for any one person to keep track of.

And what about this new conflict in Somalia? What about the people who are still recovering from the tsunami from last year? What about the fact that the death toll in Iraq has surpassed the death toll of 9/11 and that Bush, despite the released article from Rumsfeld that "staying the course" will lead us to failure, refused to make any clear decision until "after the holidays" (but we can still release the now annual Christmas video documenting the adventures of his dog Barney)?

Stimuli stimuli stimuli
  • It's actually a know fact that it costs more to send someone to death than it does to keep them alive in jail for the rest of their lives. Just thought I'd share.
  • QUOTE (HelloLover86 @ Jan 11 2007, 12:08 AM)
    It's actually a know fact that it costs more to send someone to death than it does to keep them alive in jail for the rest of their lives. Just thought I'd share.

That really doesn't surprise me. You, my friend, are a fountain of weird facts, much like myself!