In this Discussion

A serious concern

edited November -1 in OK Go
Hi. I've just been watching a whole bunch of OK Go performance videos. (Thanks OK Go Central for posting all those late night talk show clips, because most of them aren't on youtube or anywhere else I could find.) Here's what's bugging me. Compared to the Letterman performance, which I believe was recorded in August, it really sounds to me like Damian's starting to lose his voice or go hoarse, at least a bit. His voice was really wonderful when the band played Letterman, but when they played on Leno, Ferguson and Daly in November-December, he just didn't seem to have quite the same pure timbre as the earlier performance.

Has anyone else noticed this? It looks like they've been touring pretty seriously for two years now, and with their recent success, is Damian pushing his voice too hard? Or has he been sick lately? I think I read in another thread that he had been. I'm going to be seeing them right when they return to the US next month, and I hope they're not too exhausted to put on a good show. Should I be worried?

Thanks for your thoughts,

RK

Comments

• I don't think you should be worried. Damian gets sick a lot, probably from all the touring, but he always tries to put on a good show. He always takes steroids to make sure he can still sing at the shows.
  • QUOTE (rkpetersen @ Jan 27 2007, 02:59 AM)
    Hi. I've just been watching a whole bunch of OK Go performance videos. (Thanks OK Go Central for posting all those late night talk show clips, because most of them aren't on youtube or anywhere else I could find.) Here's what's bugging me. Compared to the Letterman performance, which I believe was recorded in August, it really sounds to me like Damian's starting to lose his voice or go hoarse, at least a bit. His voice was really wonderful when the band played Letterman, but when they played on Leno, Ferguson and Daly in November-December, he just didn't seem to have quite the same pure timbre as the earlier performance.

Has anyone else noticed this? It looks like they've been touring pretty seriously for two years now, and with their recent success, is Damian pushing his voice too hard? Or has he been sick lately? I think I read in another thread that he had been. I'm going to be seeing them right when they return to the US next month, and I hope they're not too exhausted to put on a good show. Should I be worried?

Thanks for your thoughts,

RK

I've noticed the same thing, but you know, your voice can't always be at its best, even with Damian, and there are fluctuating qualities with different performances.
  • Although I admire the work ethic and enthusiasm, I'm a little concerned about this steroid use stuff. I hope it's only sporadic, 'cos I'd hate to see him get in a viscious cycle of illness/steroid use, since steroids are immunosuppressants as well as anti-inflammatories (not to mention the possibility of insomnia, moodswings, and stomach problems--especially if taken with alcohol). Hope I don't sound too much of an old hen, but this steroid stuff can be playing with wildfire if it gets out of hand--I hope they are taking this month for some much needed rest.
  • I say, whoever sees them next, bring Damian a couple of Halls. sad.gif He sounds like he needs it.
  • Halls?!???! tongue.gif Give him Ricola.
  • A legitimate concern. I know they were REALLY tired for the Leno performance that aired on Nov 7. Damian has (or had) a vocal coach, who taught him not so much how to sing better but how to warm up so he can sing a lot without shredding his vocal cords (ref one of the podcasts, I think). Maybe he doesn't always get to do his warm-ups like he's supposed to. I worry about this, too, but I have to trust that he knows his job depends on his voice working well and not wear it out.
  • It's also the winter, so the mucus in his throat isn't as thick as it usually is, so his voice is different than in warmer months. That also makes it easier to strain your vox chords, so there's a chance he's been doing that a lot recently.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, he should be fine. Plus, I don't think that steroid use is what you need to worry about, I'd be more concerned about his caffine addiction, the junkie. That, and his liver shriveling up from the double shots of whiskey every show(It's a glass of wine a day that's healthy, not hard liquor!).
  • Thanks for the replies, especially from Trish. I hope your brother pays attention to what you have to say, as it's obvious you have his best interests at heart.

Anyway, as a counterpoint, I can say that I think Damian sounded GREAT at the NPR concert in November! (Just listened to it the other night.)
  • QUOTE (rkpetersen @ Jan 30 2007, 01:54 AM)
    Thanks for the replies, especially from Trish. I hope your brother pays attention to what you have to say, as it's

I'm gonna ask a really, really stupid question- sorry, sorry, but which poster was Trish? Cuz, that is the coolest thing ever that Trish is here!
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 30 2007, 09:36 AM)
    I'm gonna ask a really, really stupid question- sorry, sorry, but which poster was Trish? Cuz, that is the coolest thing ever that Trish is here!

Trish has two sn's here, but neither of them are in this thread, so she probably just messaged rkpetersen.
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jan 30 2007, 07:10 AM)
    Trish has two sn's here, but neither of them are in this thread, so she probably just messaged rkpetersen.

Cool! One of them is the Snark-a-Snoops, right? What's the other? And sorry to ask something so off-topic
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Jan 30 2007, 06:23 PM)
    Cool! One of them is the Snark-a-Snoops, right? What's the other? And sorry to ask something so off-topic

Trashy Trishy, but she hasn't used that since August.
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ Jan 27 2007, 05:07 AM)
    I don't think you should be worried. Damian gets sick a lot, probably from all the touring, but he always tries to put on a good show. He always takes steroids to make sure he can still sing at the shows.

DAMIAN USES STEROIDS??? huh.gif With all that alcohol? Doesn't sound like such a good idea to me... unsure.gif
  • yay! - Damian was only using steroids cuz he was medically prescribed them because he was sick smile.gif He's a good boy

At a recent tour stop in New York City, OK Go's shaggy-haired frontman Damian Kulash apologized to the crowd, "I'm a little sick." Admitting to being fueled by prescribed steroids for his flu-like symptoms, Kulash performed through the show unfazed, jumping from the banisters, delivering a cover of the Violent Femme's "Prove My Love, " and of course their intensely choreographed, lip-synched rendition of "A Million Ways."

from: http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/894...rove_their_love
  • Well, yeah.

Did you guys think he was trying for Mr. Universe?

"I like to work OUT! And get big MUSCLES! I like to work OUT! And get big MUSCLES!"