In this Discussion

POP QUIZ: DAMIAN KULASH OF OK GO

Comments

• a shitty interview;}

i think ok go would be proud of you, keaton. i wonder if an interview ended so unexpectedly because someone hit the interviewer in his face?
  • QUOTE (keaton @ Feb 18 2007, 10:03 PM)
    I said:

Subject: OK Go wasn't flailing

Dear Aidin Vaziri:

It would have been great if you had done a little more homework before
    your interview of Damian Kulash of OK Go. They are a hardworking,
    road band who've been at it for over 6 years, released a number of EPs
    and had a prior full-length album released before their latest - "Oh
    No." Their fans span all ages, from 14 to 80, they aren't just a
    boy-toy, teenybopper band.

They had at least two hits off their latest album prior to their
    "treadmill video" -- and their earlier video for "A Million Ways" was
    the precursor to the "treadmill video" and was already creating a
    sensation. The other hit, "Invincible," is a favorite choice during
    nationally televised sports broadcasts including last month's
    Superbowl.

You wondered if people would only see them live in hopes of seeing
    them on the treadmills. I really suggest you see them live - they put
    on a phenomenal show. Phenomenal not because they resort to gimmicks
    but phenomenal because they connect and and have a lot of interaction
    and fun with their audience as well as perform real, actual music.
    Their acoustic set is a delight and a pleasure.

Very truly yours,

*sound of cheering!*

I think that no matter how stupid the dude was trying to be, Damian kicked ass...especially on that one that I have on my signature eheh
    It's unbelievable how Damian can always be funny and gracious at interviews
  • QUOTE (m_I_a @ Feb 19 2007, 07:59 AM)
    I think that no matter how stupid the dude was trying to be, Damian kicked ass...especially on that one that I have on my signature eheh
    It's unbelievable how Damian can always be funny and gracious at interviews

I was in a (mostly imaginary) band in high school, and we used to laugh about the possibility of making cruel sport of stupid interviewers. I think Damian exercised just the right amount of restraint in dealing with this one. wink.gif
  • Eeeeeeek! The newspaper has written me back and asked me if they can publish my letter. Oy! well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Hopefully I won't come off as someone with a stick up my butt and instead perhaps it'll get OK Go some more new fans. Thanks for all your kind feedback.
  • woo congrats! That was a great letter!

OKGARMY WOOT WOOT!
  • QUOTE (keaton @ Feb 19 2007, 11:02 PM)
    Eeeeeeek! The newspaper has written me back and asked me if they can publish my letter. Oy! well, in for a penny, in for a pound. Hopefully I won't come off as someone with a stick up my butt and instead perhaps it'll get OK Go some more new fans. Thanks for all your kind feedback.

Cool!
  • Congratulations, keaton! smile.gif That was a well-written letter.
  • umm...:

Q: Do you guys get a lot more women now that you've proved your aerobic dexterity?

A: Yes. Treadmills are not particularly an aphrodisiac, but we're not having any trouble in that department. Put it that way.

hahaha. wtf dude?
  • well, damian's married. how was he supposed to answer that question?

definitely the most awkward moment, though.
  • well, damian's married. how was he supposed to answer that question?

definitely the most awkward moment, though.
  • QUOTE (keaton @ Feb 18 2007, 04:23 PM)
    Since I'm considered part of the SF Chronicle's local readership, I sent an email with a bit of "bite" in it to the writer. dry.gif He won't make that mistake again. mellow.gif

And here it is:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...PKGRJN89OD1.DTL

You tell 'em! I had to go back and reread that interview because I had forgotten how lame it was.
  • QUOTE (ihave7stars @ Apr 2 2007, 12:00 PM)
    And here it is:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...PKGRJN89OD1.DTL

You tell 'em! I had to go back and reread that interview because I had forgotten how lame it was.

How funny that they waited until yesterday to publish it. rolleyes.gif I had thought they had just decided to not use it.

Does this make me an April Fool?

Thanks for catching that - I'd never even have known. Once again, you are amazing, ih7s!
  • Oh, Keaton, I can feel the pride welling in my chest biggrin.gif
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Apr 2 2007, 08:35 PM)
    Oh, Keaton, I can feel the pride welling in my chest biggrin.gif

me too. Good job! laugh.gif
  • yay good job keaton!
  • huzzah! fanastic job, keaton.
  • QUOTE (Renata N. @ Feb 18 2007, 06:00 AM)
    He's not being rude he is just being witty and bit sarcastic, sometimes that's pretty much what you can do in face of such annoying and stupid questions... And honestly, she/he probably thought of damian as smart and charming

I believe they were saying that the interviewer was being rude, not Damian, we all know that Damian is snarky in the best way possible!

QUOTE (Claret @ Feb 18 2007, 12:27 PM)
    Q: Your next video better be really good.

A: It is. Yeah. We shot it last weekend. It's awesome.

Q: What's it about?

A: Wallpaper.

*snort.* I love how it just ENDS there.

Yeah, I love that as well! It's a perfect end to an atrocious interview.
  • Geez, guys, it wasn't that horrible. So the guy took a theme and asked questions that would potentially get funny answers ... I know everyone wants the band to get good, thoughtful interviews to get the word out about them, have them taken seriously, but there's room for silly stuff, too. I just read this thread for the first time now, and it seems like a lot of people got their panties in a bundle ...

This interview actually reminds me of stuff from Star Hits magazine in the '80s (don't you think, Suzanne, a little bit?), which was a pretty hilarious magazine. Not that this interview would be a great example of what that mag was like, but it's similar in tone, I think.

I suppose this sort of interview is a little off-putting in a newspaper.

Btw, I mean no offense, keaton.
  • QUOTE (sherib @ Apr 3 2007, 04:21 PM)
    Geez, guys, it wasn't that horrible. So the guy took a theme and asked questions that would potentially get funny answers ...

Btw, I mean no offense, keaton.

No offense taken. laugh.gif

What really put MY panties in a bunch unsure.gif was over the "one hit wonder" type questions the media tends to fire at artists. In my ethical world view - one just doesn't ask that question. That demon of wondering if you can come up with something new is a regular visitor to all the creative people I know. In my opinion, it is cruel to remind someone creative of what is possibly their most persistent fear and insinuate that it is reality.

Also, unlike Star magazine, whose audience generally already knew about the musicians being covered, this was for a metropolitan newspaper and had a readership who would be in a different state of awareness and frame of mind (vis a vis Star readers).

If you want to know what I was really thinking when I originally wrote the letter, I wasn't thinking about getting it published; I was just calling him to task because - considering his audience - it seemed more likely to come off as a cheap shot and hard-working artists deserve better than that. I was thinking he was being an irresponsible journalist. I was thinking that, if I had read his interview and didn't know anything about OK Go, I probably would NOt have been interested in finding out more. He really didn't give Damian any clear channels to showcase who/what OK Go is.

Also, it didn't sound to me like he knew anything about OK Go and was oblivious to how continually creative and wonderful they are. I was thinking he should see their show and the letter was to persuade him to go.

*end rant*

Now you know what an awful prig I really am inside. ohmy.gif (I thought my letter reeked of my prigginess which was why I was so ambivalent about it being published but, oh well...I only hope it does more good than harm.)
  • Hm, the only whiff of Star Hits I got was in the snappy/witty tone of Damian's answers - not in the questions.