In this Discussion

Merchandising idea brainstorm

edited November -1 in OK Go
So, I've been racking my brain for OK Go merchandising ideas for a few months now, because we KNOW Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore needs a gold house (or at least a copper one) and merchandising is one area where the band actually gets to see some of the money. Criteria: has to be something cool, possibly unique and unexpected, that people associate with OK Go specifically but they don't have to be a BIG fan to want to buy (i.e. the more expensive, the fewer buyers). Wouldn't it be great, too, if it self-replenished? so that merchandising never runs out of the right size or color.

The answer - a penny-smashing machine. DUH! I even found one that would be perfect, not too big (although it does weigh 75 lbs, it's designed to be portable), doesn't need electricity (has a hand crank). Think of it, you could smash 8 pennies and make yourself an OK Go copper bracelet, even.

Bonus: perhaps this will only be a break-even and not a HUGE (gold-house worthy) money maker. At least the band would have quarters for laundry smile.gif

The Penny-Press Machine Company LLC

DISCLAIMER: I have NO affiliation with this company, this is just what I found on the Internet. There might be others. I did look for a used one on eBay - no luck.

Comments

• I want to see them on Bobble Head Dolls.
  • QUOTE (bakersfield Fan @ Apr 25 2007, 09:48 PM)
    I want to see them on Bobble Head Dolls.

Ooo! That's brilliant! A Tim bobble head doll would be adorable. wub.gif
  • I want to get J0rge that house too. But they started selling those awesome flipbooks after the show I went too. How's about getting them on the online store Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore?
  • haha A penny smashing machine would be awsome. I would seriously use it all the time, that's how bored I always am. lol
  • QUOTE (bakersfield Fan @ Apr 25 2007, 11:48 PM)
    I want to see them on Bobble Head Dolls.

I've been working on some for a few months now, actually. I have to say, modeling someone's likeness into Super Sculpey is insanely complex!
  • Penny machine idea! AWESOME!! More so because Damian collects those little penny things so I think he would love it!! GREAT IDEA!
  • QUOTE (Kikky @ Apr 27 2007, 08:58 AM)
    I've been working on some for a few months now, actually. I have to say, modeling someone's likeness into Super Sculpey is insanely complex!

I remember reading an article once about how difficult it is to sculpt someone's likeness. In the article they were talking about working in marble and gave the example that if you just dump a bag of flour over someone's head, they'll be unrecognizable, even though the real face is right there -- but great artists like Michelangelo manage to get a living likeness so that you can feel the person's presence out of the stone.

Awesome for you, for even trying smile.gif
  • They already had one of the best merchandising ideas ever--the cameras with three pics they take.

The only reason I haven't bought one is the same reason they need to tweak it.

It's a brilliant idea--the perfect idea, maybe-- but I don't want it to be such a crapshoot with no guarantee of something I can make out to be an actual member of OK Go. I want three real pics. Okay, two. Two would suffice.

My other idea is that they sell voicemail recordings. Not creative, but I'd pay to have OK Go pick up my voicemail.
  • QUOTE (Kareh @ Apr 27 2007, 11:58 AM)
    They already had one of the best merchandising ideas ever--the cameras with three pics they take.

The only reason I haven't bought one is the same reason they need to tweak it.

It's a brilliant idea--the perfect idea, maybe-- but I don't want it to be such a crapshoot with no guarantee of something I can make out to be an actual member of OK Go. I want three real pics. Okay, two. Two would suffice.

My other idea is that they sell voicemail recordings. Not creative, but I'd pay to have OK Go pick up my voicemail.

I love the voicemail recordings idea! Love, love, love it! I'd probably just end up calling myself all the time though!
    Let's hope Mr. Just passes this along to them.
  • QUOTE (Kareh @ Apr 27 2007, 02:58 PM)
    I'd pay to have OK Go pick up my voicemail.
    Me too!! Ahaha, that would be so cool. I'd call myself just to hear one of them say "Dani's not picking up her phone, so leave a message MMMkay" or something. Maybe if I have a (real) cellphone by the next time I see them again I'll ask them to be my ringtone or my voicemail or somethin'... laugh.gif
  • On NPR's quiz show, "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," the top prize is having news reader Carl Cassell's voice on your home answering machine. I always thought that was cool. NPR is awesome. It is surprising that OK Go hasn't locked on to this already.
  • I would love to see some cute little OK Go member plushies.

that way you can hug 'em anytime ya want to!! wub.gif

i would carry mine everywhere i go laugh.gif
  • QUOTE (xxhot-shot-sugarxx @ Apr 29 2007, 08:36 PM)
    I would love to see some cute little OK Go member plushies.

that way you can hug 'em anytime ya want to!! wub.gif

i would carry mine everywhere i go laugh.gif

I'm in love with that idea!!
    I would love to see some cute little OK Go member plushies

Life-size please! wink.gif
  • How about a fan magazine? Or is that only something that bubblegum bands do? I have no idea. But I'd subscribe.
  • I always liked the idea of screenprinting pictures on pillows. You could make them for those reallllllyyyyy long pillows they sell at k-mart and then you just pop them on your pillow and instantly a Dan, or Damian, or Tim, or Andy pillow. As long as you promised not to drool on them. I think that would be pretty cool, I'd buy it.

Oh and the voice mail thing, I only pretend to be them, my dad also added a part on our home answering machine that we're too busy watching ok go videos to answer the phone. I just pretend I'm Dan, I put on a newsboy cap, pretend to smoke a few cigarettes, play on my drum set then record....ahah just kidding I just say its Dan leaving the message for me...ahahaha I'm bored.
  • There was an interview ih7*s posted by an Alaskan high school student who asked Damian to make him a voicemail thing, and he did. You can hear it at the end of the interview. I forget where it's posted tho.
  • QUOTE (xxhot-shot-sugarxx @ Apr 29 2007, 03:36 PM)
    I would love to see some cute little OK Go member plushies.

i suggested that two years ago: http://okgo.forumsunlimited.com/index.php?...post&p=4239
  • aaa sorry darbie ohmy.gif
  • QUOTE (xxhot-shot-sugarxx @ Apr 30 2007, 08:36 PM)
    aaa sorry darbie ohmy.gif

haha, no need to apologize...