In this Discussion

OK Go in the NYTimes Magazine

edited November -1 in OK Go
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/magazine/13audience-t.html

Really interesting article, actually. I'm old enough that I still find it surprising and a little strange when musicians post on their own bulletin boards and respond to email. It can be awesome, particularly when they have stories to tell that wouldn't necessary come out in interviews (the "Damian's pants" story comes to mind from the OK Go blog), but I still picture the information flow as a more-or-less one-way street. I wouldn't expect replies if I emailed a band or commented on a post made by a band member, and in fact I might change my behavior if I did, because I would start to feel less like a fan and more like an annoyance. It seems like that attitude about communication may be soon outdated, though.

Comments

• Oh wow, that is really interesting.

I'd feel like I was pestering OK Go if I constantly emailed or something. I'd feel bad. And I certainly wouldn't expect a reply. But I love the fact that we can get closer to our heroes now - reading Rusty's blogs just make you feel like you know them a bit better. I hope we don't annoy them or anything....
  • “It’s like this big mass of ants, and you’re sitting at home in your underpants..."

Jeez! Now I'm picturing Damian in his underpants! Damian shouldn't say these things!
  • That was interesting... haha I feel redundant saying that, but its true!

I think that the fact that bands get on their MB's is sort of an invitation to ask questions... if they didn't want to be pestered, they'd have ways of avoiding it... sure, CONSTANT messages or emails I'm sure would bug them, but I sort of feel like they WANT to be in touch with their fans. and its seems like most of us know where to draw the line, you know?
  • Oh, yeah, and to be clear, I don't mean to imply anything negative about people who are more into communicating with their favorite artists than I am. I totally benefit from their comfort in emailing or posting; I get a lot of really interesting information about bands from people who are in constant correspondence with some musician or another, and not in a pestering way, in a two-way conversation way. I just mean to say, it's a very different attitude from what I grew up with, and it seems to be gaining ground on both sides, in that musicians who wouldn't have thought about communicating directly with fans before are doing so now.

And I do love a number of band blogs, and it's incredibly exciting when someone whose music you listen to actually replies to something you say, but I have to admit I'm also a bit enamored of the traditional "mystery" of song writers or film makers who don't reveal much about themselves outside of their work. I thought the guy from the Hold Steady was right that it's a tough balance to maintain.
  • QUOTE (Sadie @ May 14 2007, 10:54 AM)

Really interesting article, actually. I'm old enough that I still find it surprising and a little strange when musicians post on their own bulletin boards and respond to email. It can be awesome, particularly when they have stories to tell that wouldn't necessary come out in interviews (the "Damian's pants" story comes to mind from the OK Go blog), but I still picture the information flow as a more-or-less one-way street. I wouldn't expect replies if I emailed a band or commented on a post made by a band member, and in fact I might change my behavior if I did, because I would start to feel less like a fan and more like an annoyance. It seems like that attitude about communication may be soon outdated, though.

Ha, I'm older than you, Sadie!

I dunno - I guess I see both sides of it. Kevin Smith was mentioned in the article, and he's a good example. I was on his message boards for years, and all the people from his movies would occasionally post on his boards. It wasn't so strange to see a post from him, or any of those guys. Or even have him respond to one of your posts (although that was considerably more rare). Also, I think it depends on how you start out. If you start your career responding to every single email, being very up front and out there with the fans, you're expected to continue that (not saying that's necessarily fair, but that's the expectation that comes up). If you start out uncommunicative, then it's no big deal when you don't respond. It's an unfair expectation, but hey, those blogs that Andy used to write were really fun! We miss getting them!
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ May 14 2007, 06:29 PM)
    “It’s like this big mass of ants, and you’re sitting at home in your underpants..."

Jeez! Now I'm picturing Damian in his underpants! Damian shouldn't say these things!

Haha yeah.
    I tried not to picture it.
    Like that worked... rolleyes.gif
  • QUOTE (Sadie @ May 14 2007, 06:54 AM)

Random Thoughts:

One of the e-newsletters I subscribe to is trendwatching.com. This month's newsletter talks about Eventful, a site where music fans can let artists know that if the artist comes to their town to perform, they will be in the audience -- a more organized approach to what this article talks about.

I think the Internet is akin to where a wall once stood, now doors are open -- I don't think artists HAVE to conform to the new level of communication the Internet provides -- it is a choice, not a demand.

Although how the Internet affects the music industry and artists is on everyone's radar, truth is it is rippling all across the arts and politics -- MY life was changed/is changing by the extraordinary generosity of Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio - the writers of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Shrek, Men in Black, Aladdin, etc. Years ago I discovered that they had created an online website/forum where aspiring writers could talk amongst themselves AND with Ted and Terry (as well as other A-list scriptwriters) about writing and the industry. Once I felt I had something valid to contribute, I started participating. In fact, the Internet is a natural medium for writers to collaborate/commiserate as 1) forums require writing so it plays to one's strong suit, and 2) writing is usually lonely work so it makes the writing burden easier to bear when one can text a fellow writer 24x7 and have an online conversation.

What I think the challenge is, for OK Go and artists in general, is that one can become spread too thin -- hosting one's own website, a couple forums, a blog, a Myspace page, etc. If someone were to ask my advice (ha!), I'd say that an artist could have one online presence where everyone knows they can find them reliably and then leave the rest to the fans. AND, artists shouldn't be expected to manage all this stuff alone. Like cats*, they should have staff. laugh.gif

My, I'm introspective today. blink.gif

*Reference to joke -> "Dogs have owners, cats have staff."
  • QUOTE (DJRose)
    It's an unfair expectation, but hey, those blogs that Andy used to write were really fun! We miss getting them!

This is true; it's tough to change expectations, even if you know they're unfair. I mean, there's always a point when a band gets popular when you start realizing that you can't hang out backstage anymore, or maybe even can't get tickets to shows, but when you have musicians like some of those described in an article who build up a fan base through accessibility, this change is more immediately felt by the fan.

QUOTE (keaton)
    In fact, the Internet is a natural medium for writers to collaborate/commiserate as 1) forums require writing so it plays to one's strong suit, and 2) writing is usually lonely work so it makes the writing burden easier to bear when one can text a fellow writer 24x7 and have an online conversation.

Absolutely. I don't write, but I participate in online fandom, which is two parts squee! to one part writers' workshop. It's really inspiring to see how much people can improve their writing, drawing, or vidding skills through community and collaboration. In general I love how much more participatory culture has become through the Internet, with fewer people being passive consumers of media.
  • I would like to thank Sadie for starting this thread. smile.gif It's not every day we can have an intelligent, interesting conversation AND picture Damian in his underwear at the same time! laugh.gif Thanks, Sadie!!
  • I'm only just reading this article now, even though I posted it (in another thread--oops) back in May unsure.gif I'm about halfway through, and I've found two things very interesting:

- the mention of CD sales being down 20% from last year already -- Damian mentioned this number in an interview I just listened to; I'm thinking maybe it was the Splendour one from Australia

- the mention that the average amount Jane Siberry's fans pay for her songs under her "pay what you can" policy (p. 3 of the article) is $1.30 -- The price of OK Go's songs through Snocap on their MySpace is $1.30 each. I've thought all along that was a weird/interesting number, because I've only ever seen songs for $.99 or $.93 on MySpace.

I don't know where I'm going with this. I guess I'm just being a "teehee" spazz and playing a game of speculative Damian connect-the-dots. As if it's a surprise that he reads the NY Times. *feels lame* And I guess I'm just feeling fascinated that maybe just maybe our mini-conversation about MySpace buy-a-song things played a role in anything. smile.gif

*Edit: Ah, just read this thread, and maybe OK Go's songs are DRM-free and have an extra $.30 added on for that like what Sally said iTunes is doing ... Who knows. Disregard what I said above; I don't know what I'm talking about. laugh.gif