In this Discussion

Chriss Beniot and family found dead

edited November -1 in General Discussion
STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment was informed today by authorities in Fayetteville County, Ga., that WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son were found dead in their home. Authorities are investigating, but no other details are available at this time.

Instead of its announced programming for tonight on USA Network, WWE will air a three-hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss.

WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

Additional information on World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For our global activities, go to www.wwe.com/worldwide/.
-----

i am in fucking shock, he didnt show up at the ppv last night for his title match...and now this

i just dont know what to say....

im just heart broken over this, he was an amazing wrestler and an even more amazing person =(

Comments

• Awww, Andy, I'm sorry to hear this. sad.gif That's really sad.
  • oh my god.

shit this is horrible.... I didn't even know all day...

R.I.P.
  • Oh my gosh. Andy thanks for posting, what terrible news.
  • QUOTE (DJRose @ Jun 26 2007, 07:05 AM)
    Oh my gosh. Andy thanks for posting, what terrible news.

What a tragedy. I wonder whether my brother and his girlfriend were fans of his. Will see what he says. Very sad.
  • The following is from WWE.com:

According to lead investigator Lt. Tommy Pope, of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department, in Fayetteville, Ga., the deaths of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, wife Nancy and son Daniel were the result of a double murder-suicide, WWE.com has learned.

Benoit failed to appear both at Saturday’s live event in Beaumont, Tx., and WWE’s Vengeance: Night of Champions in Houston Sunday night, after informing WWE of a family emergency. Several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning prompted concerned friends to alert Richard Hering, VP of Government Relations for WWE, Inc. Hering, in turn, spoke with Fayette County sheriffs Monday, and requested that they respond to the Benoit residence to check on him and his family.

Authorities representing the Sheriff’s Department initially had a difficult time entering Benoit’s new Fayetteville home Monday afternoon, which had been guarded by two large German Shepherds roaming freely around the property. Once authorities entered the residence, they quickly located the bodies of Benoit, Nancy and Daniel. WWE was notified of the discovery at approximately 4 p.m.

At 10 p.m. Monday night, Lt. Pope held a press conference in conjunction with Scott Ballard, the district attorney for Fayette County. The press conference officially ruled authorities’ findings as a double murder-suicide from within the home.

WAGA, a FOX-owned and operated television station in Atlanta, reported that investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son over the weekend, then himself on Monday.

The three bodies have been received by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s crime lab, in Decatur, Ga., where autopsies will be performed Tuesday morning. Toxicology reports will not become available for at least two weeks.
  • i just can't my head round it all this is one of the saddest deaths in wrestling possibly ever due to everything else going on with it

Benoit was a very very close friend of Eddie who died 2 years ago, i think that had a much bigger effect on benoit then we will ever know

the tribute show to him last night was very moveing
  • So he strangled his wife, smothered his son, and then hung himself. What a guy.
  • QUOTE (mixtape @ Jun 26 2007, 07:01 PM)
    So he strangled his wife, smothered his son, and then hung himself. What a guy.

strangled his wife, smotherd his son and himself in his weight room, according to a law enforcement source quoted by the Associated Press. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution could not independently confirm the Associated Press report. A spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the three autopsies had not been completed, so there is no official cause of death.

The couple and their 7-year-old son were found dead Monday in their home on Green Meadow Lane just east of Peachtree City.Nancy Benoit and her son, Daniel, were killed during the weekend and Benoit died Monday, police said.

Benoit and his wife went through a period of turbulence early in their marriage that included her claiming domestic abuse and filing for divorce, court records show.

The couple, who had lived together since 1997 and were married in 2000, had separated when Nancy Benoit, a wrestling manager who worked under the stage name "Woman," filed for divorce in May 2003.

In the accompanying petition for protection from domestic abuse, Nancy Benoit, 43, claimed she was intimidated by threats of violence from her 40-year-old, 5-foot-10, 220-pound husband, who was known as the "Canadian Crippler."

Benoit, the petition said, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture and furnishings. Petitioner is in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

In another count, she claimed Benoit had destroyed furniture in the home.

On May 12, 2003, the same day the divorce and protective order petitions were submitted, a judge issued a restraining order against the wrestler and barred him from the family home in Peachtree City.

On Aug. 19, 2003, Nancy Benoit filed to have the divorce and protective petitions dismissed, and both were.

Police on Tuesday had said no gun was used in the killings, but they declined to say how the three died. Autopsies were scheduled for Tuesday at the GBI Crime Lab in Decatur.

"The details, when they come out, are going to prove a little bizarre," Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said Tuesday.

Police also revealed Tuesday that a text message was sent from Chris Benoit's cellphone.

Fayette Sheriff's Lt. Tommy Pope said the message was sent at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, but he decline to disclose the message's content or recipient.

Benoit's employer, World Wrestling Entertainment, said on its Website Tuesday that Benoit had sent

"several curious text messages" to friends, but police on Tuesday said they had identified only the one.

Authorities initially had trouble getting to the home because of two large German shepherds on the property, the WWE said. Sheriff's deputies were standing guard at the home on Tuesday morning, keeping back the media and the curious.

Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and his son in an upstairs bedroom.

Benoit failed to appear at Saturday's live wrestling event in Beaumont, Texas., and at WWE's "Vengeance: Night of Champions" in Houston Sunday night. WWE said Benoit had a "family emergency."

As news of the death's spread, the wrestling blogosphere erupted in disbelief.

"Obviously, all sorts of speculation are running rampant but I have talked to so many people and nobody really knows," said Bryan Alvarez, who runs Figurefour Weekly, a wrestling newsletter and Web site, from Linwood, Wash.

The WWE issued a statement Monday night:

"Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

A native of Canada, Benoit maintained a residence in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the now-defunct Ted Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling organization.

He began his career in Calgary more than 20 years ago and had wrestled in Japan before moving back to North America.

While working in Atlanta with WCW, he met his wife, Nancy, who managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name, "Woman."

At the time, her then-husband drew up a script that had the couple involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing storyline.

Soon after, the two became romantically involved in real life and married. Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

He joined WWE in 2000, and four years later, won its world heavyweight championship.

The family had moved into the Fayetteville neighborhood last summer, said neighbor Alaina Jones.

None of the neighbors recalled seeing police at the house before. Monday night, about half a dozen cars idled on the circular driveway. Deputies stood guard outside the wrought-iron gates of the residence. A car full of youngsters who stopped to gawk at the scene were pulled out by deputies, frisked and sent on their way.

The Monday night broadcast of WWE's "Raw" on the USA Network was supposed to have been a who-dunit into the "death" of Chairman Vince McMahon, whose limousine burst into a fiery explosion moments after he stepped into it after a bout in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., two weeks ago.

The organization scrapped the storyline following Benoit's death, and instead televised a three-hour retrospective on Benoit's career.

• Notes from the press conference to address the Benoit double homicide-suicide:

Lt. Tommy Pope:

-- The Sheriff's Department received a call for a welfare check (from WWE) at 2:30PM on Monday. While searching the house, they discovered the three bodies.

-- Based on the investigation, they are ruling it as a double homicide-suicide. Evidence leads them to believe that Chris Benoit, likely on Friday, murdered his wife by asphyxiation. Sometime after that (probably Saturday morning), he did the same to his son. Then, sometime late Saturday or Sunday, he committed suicide by hanging.

-- There was no suicide note located within the house.

-- To his knowledge, Benoit was never arrested for domestic violence.

-- There were a lot of prescription medications discovered; they were apparently legal prescriptions. Anabolic steroids were among the substances discovered, but Lt. Pope did not reveal specifics.

-- He text messaged a coworker; the coworker received the message several hours after it was sent. It apparently contained something curious.

-- According to preliminary estimates, he killed himself several hours, but no more than a day, after killing his son.

DA Scott Ballard:

-- His "bizarre" comment refers to the timing of the various deaths. Based on the investigation, some time elapsed between each death.

-- There was a Bible placed beside the bodies of his victims (Nancy and Daniel).

-- There were no signs of a struggle; the wife was bound on her feet and on her wrists. There was some blood under her head.

-- Authorities have no idea about the motive.

-- There was no 911 call.

-- Benoit hanged himself with the cord from a cable-loaded weight machine.

-- There is no evidence of an intruder.
  • hah.. that cant be..
    he was one of my favorite superstars..
    hard to believe and also still can not believe that..
    i wish someone said that all of these are not true..
    i don't know what to say..
  • so sorry andy... what a true, tragedy sad.gif
  • i just found this at cnn.com

it's got a lot of the same stuff, but some additional stuff in there to

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/27/wrestler/
  • OH SNAP!

"An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy about 14 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287194,00.html
  • ^ Crazy, how would have they known?
  • this has just hit all the wrestling sites now

the press is having a horrible feild day over this entire matter..
  • The whole thing is surreal.

Ugh, it makes me sick to my stomach. How can someone kill their own son? Ugh
  • Okay, so 1) I haven't really been following this story that well, so I don't really know what was up with this guy and 2) my usual reaction to this sort of "It's such a tragedy!" thing is general apathy. It's how I deal.

However, I read a MySpace bulletin by a friend and I have to agree with her. I really have no sympathy for this guy. If he was massively depressed or had some other mental issues going on, then okay, I feel bad for him, because that does happen and it can end badly. But come on. The guy killed his wife and child. If he wanted to take himself out, then okay; that was his on choice. But he took two other people with him as well. I feel bad for their families, but that's about it.

But mainly, I don't see why I should make a big deal of it just because of who he was. What about all the other women and children who are killed all over the world every day? Those who don't get this sort of coverage because they're not married to superstar wrestlers? Those who go unnoticed, unremarked? Why aren't was as upset about that? I think that's the bigger tragedy.

/rant
  • QUOTE (jedi_grrlie @ Jun 30 2007, 12:22 PM)
    But mainly, I don't see why I should make a big deal of it just because of who he was. What about all the other women and children who are killed all over the world every day? Those who don't get this sort of coverage because they're not married to superstar wrestlers? Those who go unnoticed, unremarked? Why aren't was as upset about that? I think that's the bigger tragedy.
    /rant

Agreed.
  • i kno this is a bit old.
    but thats a shame..