In this Discussion

The White Stripes

edited November -1 in General Discussion

In honor of the new album (Icky Thump) coming out, this thread is in honor of the White Stripes.

Forever rocking

Comments

• i've got itchy bumps in anticipation of icky thumb!..
    ok, maybe the itchy bumps are 'cause i'm alergic to nickel, but i'm still anticipating the release of icky thumb...
  • i voted Get Behind Me Satan as its the only album i own of theres for some reason...

how long has it been offical that they are ex hub and wife?

cause i only found out recently and feel like ive been living under a rock
  • you have been living under a rock, i've know for years... go buy the other albums!..
  • I really, REALLY recommend De Stijl, I can't say it enough.

Uhhh, it's been a while I think. I didn't know until last year or so. Wikipedia pegs it around 2003 when their divorce papers surfaced.

Have you seen their performance on Conan of "Let's Build a Home"? It's spectacular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6WVD3PqeNY

P.S. Icky Thump video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OjTspCqvk8
    Not as good as their other videos, but the song is just bad-ass
  • I voted De Stijl, as well. It's sooooooo good. Very raw and bluesy sounding. I like it.
  • AHHH!!! i got their new album today and its so fucking good ^^
    i had to talk like a mile in the hot sun to get it.
    actually thats not that bad.
    but i love i this album
    i dont have their first 2 albums..
    did u guys see them on conan last night????
    awesome ^^
    and yes de stijl is the best of the best
    loved hello operater ^^
    what makes you all love it?
  • Well, like I said, it's bluesy and very raw sounding . . . like they went to the roots of old Detroit/MidWest rock. Old stuff like that is my favorite.
  • I just love the FEEL of it. The songs can chage so much. From the bareness of "Little Room" to Meg's suprisingly (for lack of a better word) smooth voice on "in the Cold, Cold Night" to the banging glory of "The Denial Twist."

My friend introduced them to me and I believe I had the a-typical "wait. are they lovers or siblings?" quip. It was one of those bands that took me a moment to realize how amazing they are. I loved the music, but it wasn't until I saw the live clip of them performing "Let's Build a Home" on Conan that I was infatuated. They were both poised and perfect.

There's just something raw and unbridled in them. I listen to them when I'm going somewhere that makes me nervous (job interviews, first days at work, etc.) and I just scream along to "Hello Operator" or "My Doorbell" or whatever happens to be on. It's just free and amazing.

[I'm so over the top it's ridiculous.]
  • Has anyone listened to Icky Thump yet? I was amazed by it, and only by the first title track.
  • the white stripes are beyond awesome! and icky thump is amazing!
  • Why do I love the White Stripes? Well, it might be because they have secret shows on public buses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnMLCangbQ

Rock on White Stripes, rock on
  • man, okay so i'm like the only loser who never really listened to the white stripes.. and like the other day fuse had this thing where they showed all white stripes videos for half an hour.. and i was like, hey i've heard most of these songs, and i never knew it was them!
    gaah so anyway, i liked all of those, and i like icky thump, but now i don't know where to begin with all of their albums!
  • Start with De Stijl. It's one of their lesser-known albums (compared to, say, Elephant or Get Behind Me Satan), but it'smy absolute favorite. It has the perfect combination of blues and rock. It flows seamlessly from one song to another and has a couple of amazing songs that, though never reaching the height of "Seven Nation Army" or "Fell in Love With a Girl," are just as amazing, namely "Let's Build a Home" and "Your Southern Can is Mine".

All the albums are fantastic and I only just got Icky Thump, so I can't give my opinion on it quite yet.

I would say to DEFINITELY check out the video for "The Hardest Button to Button"
  • ^ awesome, sounds good.. thanks dear!!!
  • QUOTE (amberdino @ Jul 6 2007, 02:22 AM)
    ^ awesome, sounds good.. thanks dear!!!

I agree with all the praise for DeStijl, but Don't sleep on White Blood Cells, their breakthrough album. It's a masterpiece. And Elephant is a thing of beauty as well.

I thought I'd never say it, but Icky Thump is quickly moving up the braincharts. It's really great.
  • I love how on the new album they didn't use the marimba drum like th did in Get Behind Me Satan. also Meg sounds a lot better and Ireally love that song Rag and Bone.
  • QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore @ Jul 17 2007, 04:35 PM)
    I agree with all the praise for DeStijl, but Don't sleep on White Blood Cells, their breakthrough album. It's a masterpiece. And Elephant is a thing of beauty as well.

I thought I'd never say it, but Icky Thump is quickly moving up the braincharts. It's really great.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

zomg its Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore!!!!!!!!!!!

i shall listen to all of them then!
    i must respect the greatness of Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore smile.gif
  • QUOTE (Mr. Mr. Mr. Jorge, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore, Whom I Adore @ Jul 17 2007, 11:35 PM)

White Blood Cells is great. "The Union Forever, " "Expecting," "Fell in Love with A Girl," "We're Going to be Friends," and "Little Room" are all amazing tracks. Oh, and especially "Hotel Yorba." It may be one of their greatest songs.

I agree about Icky Thump. I was a little wary after hearing "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)." But the songs that work on it, WORK. "Rag and Bone" may be one of my all-time favorites, The spoken-word on "Little Cream Soda" (there's a lot of speaking on this in general, isn't there? That and "St. Andrew.") Even "Conquest" and "Effect&Cause" won my heart. It's really the perfect album for the summer.

In my opinion, they're best played at sundown, when everything has turned gold in the sun (that "magic light" for photography), driving down the road with the windows down. The White Stripes have a knack of making me feel like I can do what I want, that I can travel and adventure and, taking the advice of one of their song titles, even build a home.

Maybe that's why I like them. They make me feel how I want to feel.
  • while i was searching for white stripes song one day and came across some bob dylan covers. I never knew they did some covers of him.
  • Really? They must be great! Do you happen to have a link?