In this Discussion

I Am America (And So Can You!)

edited November -1 in General Discussion
I just bought Stephen Colbert's new book, I Am America (And So Can You!) and right from the very cover, to the back, to the jacket flaps- it's brilliant. People always point to Swift's "A Modest Proposal" when reaching for an example of satire, but really, Colbert is the ultimate paragon.
Just to add to his unparalleled awesomeness, he is running for president...or is he? He announced that he was, and nobody seems to know if he's joking. Watching CNN analyze and carefully dissect his campaign in order to determine if it is or is not in fact a joke- well, that's just the funniest thing ever. I saw him last week on one of those pundit shows and my sister said, "He's not in character." But then, it seems she was wrong- "wait," I said. "He is in character."

Colbert, in a rare out of character interview, once said that he doesn't let his kids watch his show. And he said that that's because he doesn't want them to associate him with his character- he doesn't want them to think he's joking when he says he loves them, for example. I think that shows, really, the power of this man's satirical skills.

What does a political satirist do? He recognizes what's wrong with our government and what's wrong with the administration and he emphasizes it, mocks it for all of us to see and understand. Colbert is obviously extremely intelligent and knows what needs to be fixed. So if he is really running, he has my vote.

Comments

• QUOTE (Tabetha @ Oct 29 2007, 10:22 PM)
    Just to add to his unparalleled awesomeness, he is running for president...or is he? He announced that he was, and nobody seems to know if he's joking. Watching CNN analyze and carefully dissect his campaign in order to determine if it is or is not in fact a joke- well, that's just the funniest thing ever. I saw him last week on one of those pundit shows and my sister said, "He's not in character." But then, it seems she was wrong- "wait," I said. "He is in character."

Just as a note: he's joking. He was a guest contestant on NPR's "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me" out of character and when asked [after he said he would crush Giuliani "beneath [his] iron heel"):
    "How does the road then play out to the White House for Stephen Colbert?"
    "It doesn't. It ends in South Carolina."

Answer!

I'll still miss the "Even Stephven" segment on The Daily Show
  • aaaaaaaaaw!
    That is heart-breaking. Saturday I was at an anti-war rally and I talked to some ppl who said they'd vote for him too. A few days before that I went to an Obama rally (it was awesome. Obama is awesome) and while I love Obama a LOT, I'd still have a tough time deciding between him and Colbert.
    Well, thanks for posting this. When was the interview aired? Is it available online? Thanks!

I'm canvassing for Obama in NH in a few weeks- ~whispers~but I'll miss hearing about Colbert
  • double post, sorry
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/10/21/c...re_n_69262.html
    It turns out he's seriously on the ballot in SC, or will be soon.
  • It's not an interview, but should be online. It's the 10/21/2007 edition of "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me."

http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/archives.html

He comes on somewhere in the middle. The show itself is fantastic and I highly recommend listening to it all the way through. NPR is fast becoming one of my favorite things in the world.
  • I love "America the book" immensly, but haven't read Mr. Colberts yet. Honestly I don't think he'll ever go through with his ballot. It would destroy his career smile.gif
  • 1.) I love NPR, yays!
    2.) America is one of my soul children.
    3.) I spent a good two hours at my local Barnes and Noble "skimming through" I Am America, but then realized I didn't have enough cash on me. Boo.

But I will get it soon, though. Then I'll have soul twins.
  • SHALU! Yes, I can't believe the biggest Stewart-Colbert fan in the universe is here: you!
    I love you smile.gif And I love your avatar!

Honestly I don't think he'll ever go through with his ballot. It would destroy his career

I didn't even think about that, but you're absolutely right. Pooh. sad.gif
  • if Arnie can become the govenator... Colbert can sure as heck become President tongue.gif

but... yeah his comedic career would be done... isnt there a law saying something about equal representation in the media while champaining? Wouldnt that mean that he would have to stop his show?! oh my that would suck!

edit: undefined yup...
  • QUOTE (Felster @ Oct 31 2007, 01:44 PM)
    if Arnie can become the govenator... Colbert can sure as heck become President tongue.gif

Good God let's hope not.
  • This book is hilarious - I love it!
  • My friend bought the book and brought it to school. I've only read the first page, but it's hilarious! I loved the little notes in the margins. wub.gif