In this Discussion

"Things I've Learned From the Women Who Dumped Me"

edited November -1 in OK Go
I've been noting little grumbles about this popping up online for a week or so, but someone actually posted the whole essay in its entirety.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...lifeFamily/home

It's a really sweet story, actually. You can actually *hear* Damian saying all this, honestly. I have more things to say about this, but I'll wait until more of you have read the article.

And Jenn! Now we know what happened to Ella!!!!!!

Comments

• that was touching, and even a little weird to hear so much personal information about Damian. A little of the mystery is now gone rolleyes.gif .

Dami is such an eloquent writer. I have to read his stuff with a google sidebar open just to understand some of the things hes talking about unsure.gif
  • I was reading it with the song "Ella's in the band" by the Fratellis...

Damian really is great at writing and yes, I too think it's a bit weird to read such personal things, but it was so so well- written!!

I think I might just read it again when I get back home.
  • I agree, it was definitely weird to read such personal stuff. He is an absolutely amazing writer, though. wub.gif
  • Damian is an excellent writer. I really enjoy being able to read something and actually hear them speaking the words to me.

And as for Humboldt Park, it's still there full of immigrants and corpses. Actually, there might not be that many corpses right now, it's too cold to be outside.
  • uuhh I really really enjoyed it, Damian's so sweet! wub.gif

Rosa
  • God I want to quote so many things but I just realized I'd be quoting all 3 pages.

Beauty and brains.

Perfection DOES exist in this world; it is manifested in the godlike body of Damian Kulash.
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Feb 15 2008, 08:25 PM)
    Beauty and brains.

Perfection DOES exist in this world; it is manifested in the godlike body of Damian Kulash.

hear hear
  • Just kidding, who cares.

It stung - badly - but there's just no way around it: You can't stay with someone just because of a dog, and you can't try to take the dog when she's been the one caring for it. (Unless you're a total dick. Then you can do pretty much anything.)

Haha!
    Now, five years later, Amanda and Ella the Dog live on a tropical island with a gentle Viking who's apparently both champion skydiver and master carpenter. I haven't met him, but by all accounts he's talented at pretty much everything and a wellspring of kindness - one of those people put on earth to teach the rest of us humility.

He srsly underestimates himself. HE teaches US humility!!!!!!!
  • I adore the way he writes. Anything he writes or says just grabs me in and it's sort of an inspiration for me as an English major. I love the hints of sarcasm and assholishness, it reminds me a lot of my senior year English teacher who basically inspired me to pursue my major. He's a very talented man, at apparently most things, and I think one of the main reasons I want to meet him is to have an intellectual conversation with him, of course after I'm done giggling and blushing like a 13 year old.
    Sure, on the passion/adrenalin scale, you just can't top frantic sex on the hood of your beat-up Camry, ...

That is so hot.

When I went into the studio to make my band's first album, Ella the Dog played on the recording, and she'd lie for hours on the base of my mic stand while I sang.

You'll notice this is the first time I mention being in a band.

How fucking cute is this? He's so down to earth and aware of what's up. Haha.

SIGH

Damian's flower in my heart is still in full blossom. Forever!
  • QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ Feb 15 2008, 07:34 PM)
    That is so hot.

Yuhuh! That almost brought tears to my eyes with the sheer hotness of it.

He's a fantastic writer, but, as a fan, I can't help but feel I'm intruding on his personal life, somehow.. never mind the fact that he's published this openly. Still, his writing style is so vivid that I can really hear his voice. It's pretty beautiful smile.gif
  • Wow, that hit a bit too close to home. And I won't say anything else.

I'm glad we got to know the truth about Ella, lest one of us (possibly myself) asked him about what happened.
  • Awww! Now Damian and I have both been in the Globe&Mail! I can't wait to read it..
  • Wow, that was so beautifully bittersweet. Also kind of amazing. I agree that it was weird to read, because I almost feel as if he's someone I know, which is such a strange feeling because I really don't know him at all. If that makes any sense.

I know it's been said, but really - is there anything that keeps Damian from being an absolutely flawless human being?
  • awww he really is a great writer.
    and that was a really sweet story.

The personal relationship stuff would be a lot weirder for me if I didn't know that he was now happily married.

And I love how he didn't mention the band until halfway through.
    And how he didn't mention the name of the band at all, or the even greater success they have now.
    And I loved his description of touring biggrin.gif

And now I want to go listen to Ok Go and pretend that I can hear Ella.
    bahaha.

• Lifted from the news page:

Also, there's an audio version of the book, in which Damian reads his piece. None of us has heard it yet, but we assume it must be even more embarrassing to hear it in his own voice. You can order it here.

I'm tempted to get it just so I can hear if the way I envisioned Damian reading his essay is correct.
  • I think I'm going to have to get it... I don't have the book yet though...
  • Just bought one of the autographed copies from the OK Go online store... I'm super stoked about it!!!!
  • QUOTE (Regan Lain @ Mar 11 2008, 10:29 PM)
    Just bought one of the autographed copies from the OK Go online store... I'm super stoked about it!!!!

My copy of this just came from the OK Go store today! Hoorah!