In this Discussion

April 23, 2008 - Calvin College, Grand Rapids, MI

Comments

• TAKE TWO

AJDKSJDLKS JLDJFIOEJIOFJD VJDK

9 days
  • I can't believe I'm going! Even though it's only two hours away from me, I'm staying overnight with my two best friends, so the whole day/night should just be amazing. And I bought a new camera for this, so I should come back with amazing pictures as well. Ahhh can't wait!
  • Ahhhhhhhh my ticket came in the mail!!!!!!!
    I decided to have an OK Go themed drive to school. In the middle of horribly belting out "You're So Damn Hot" I realized I'm actually seeing them live and I nearly started crying. I can't believe I'm going, I'm ecstactic!
  • QUOTE (newslang89 @ Apr 16 2008, 03:17 PM)
    Ahhhhhhhh my ticket came in the mail!!!!!!!
    I decided to have an OK Go themed drive to school. In the middle of horribly belting out "You're So Damn Hot" I realized I'm actually seeing them live and I nearly started crying. I can't believe I'm going, I'm ecstactic!

Haha, that's kinda what I did when I started actually thinking about it. I was like, OH MY GOSH! I'm actually gonna be seeing them LIVE in a week and I started squeeling and freaking out everyone around me, lol
  • The time as come to finally wear my bright red skinny jeans that I wore for my Damian costume to a concert. Holler.
  • i'd like to say i'll wear my pink and purple sweatervest... but i'm not sure how to rock it again... it'll probably be too warm though...
  • hmm, I think me and my sister are going to make shirts
  • Since I'm OCD about checking out venues before going to them, I found this little nugget on the Calvin College website.

And I'm gonna post it here should it one day be lost in the ether. It's a tad long, but very well written.

At a glance, OK Go’s dancy powerpop is nonsensical. With songs like “C-C-C-Cinnamon Lips” and “Crash the Party,” it is easy to arrive at this conclusion, but their catchy guitar licks, falsetto vocals and driving rhythms create upbeat tunes that are hard to resist. Their music is fun, playful and, according to Pop Matters, full of a “youthful exuberance tempered with rock smarts, [and] unpretentiously nice melodic tunes that seem a musical cut above the [rest].”

OK Go has gained much of their momentum from music videos, one homemade production at a time. And two videos were all it took to drive the band’s music to international recognition. Their less-than-$10-budget videos for “A Million Ways” and “Here It Goes Again” became the most downloaded video of all time and won a Grammy in 2007, respectively.

OK Go strives to create an end result of smart rock that rejects over-your-head intelligence to achieve its goal. On the other hand, they don’t focus solely on c-c-c-cinnamon lips and crashing the party to have a good time, either. In “House Wins” from their most recent release Oh No, lead vocalist Damian Kulash sings,
    If evil were a lesser breed
    Than justice, after all these years
    The righteous would have freed the world of sin.
    Noting contradictions between actions and motives leads to gentle, humble questioning in another lyric:
    Having spent your entire life
    Exactly where you are tonight
    In the valley between intent and deed,

You must have mastered this,
    the fragile art of a good excuse,
    the little things that get you to believe…

So listen, I'm not trying to prove anything at all here,
    But don't you think that maybe, this time, you were wrong?
    (from “Maybe, This Time”)
    The last thought-provoking song we will comment on is “Let it Rain,” in which revelry rooted in self-preservation is portrayed as bittersweet and ultimately destructive:
    Self-sustaining system bit her in the neck and quick and kissed her and took all she got
    Did you come here to dance?
    What’s in your glass?
    Do you feel better?
    True, OK Go describe their music as a reaction against genres heaped in deep nuances, and we respect that. In the case of OK Go, the band’s equilibrium is significant; we think that both the good times and the reflective undertones in the music are worth it.
  • Post-treadmill OK Go guys ponder next big thing
    Article about Tim, new album, the show, and Kalamazoo

"We don't do (choreographed dancing) as much anymore 'cause it is kind of expected, so it's not quite as pleasing, or it's not as much of a thrill. But we sort of try to incorporate other things that aren't what you'd see every night, or not what you'd expect at a normal rock show." - Tim

Man, I'm never gonna see them do the backyard dance. *mumbles incoherently*
  • Becky, what time is your ETA?
  • QUOTE (katieyellow @ Apr 22 2008, 08:29 AM)
    Becky, what time is your ETA?

I'm aiming for 5pm, which means leaving my house about noon. Yeah, construction on the Edens (expressway between my house and Downtown) is going to make me go crazy. And thanks to the time difference, even though it looks like I'll be travelling for five hours, it'll really only be about 4, well, depending on how bad the Edens is it should be just under 4.

And I'm bringing a bag of bliss and pixie sticks. I know I'll need the sugar after all that driving.
  • I'm picking my lovely OK Go partner in crime up from class around 3:30-3:45 ish and then hittin the road. It's only an hour away so we should be there a little before 5 if all goes well!

Are you staying somewhere tomorrow night, Becky? If you are we should maybe pop into an iHop or something and get mid-night breakfast! Haha yea I don't know...breakfast just sounds really good right now. But if you have to hit the road then maybe we can go somewhere that's a little faster smile.gif

• Yeah, I'm gonna be heading back home after the show. But breakfast does sound good. Now I have a craving for pecan pancakes... I'm sure we'll figure something out while waiting for the show to start.
  • Do you think I'll be alright getting there at 6?
    I want to be in front, but my friend doesn't really want to wait for more than 2 hours.
  • Those girls are at the concert shouting Run's House without me. tongue.gif

(I love you guys anyway)
  • you were there in spirit!! smile.gif

i will just say this right now...
    i'm a smitten kitten. biggrin.gif

much more to come tomorrow... becky is stranded in g.rap b/c her car pooped out on her sad.gif wish we could have done more!!!

p.s the show was AMAZING!!!
  • I LOVE MY LIFE smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Last night was PERFECT.
  • Ahhhh we need more info!!!
    Katie did you get my text? I was there in spirit with you, love!!
    Can't wait to hear everything!!