In this Discussion

May 29, 2008 - UCLA

124»

Comments

• I am ashamed of myself. I have become a lurker. Something happened on my old computer where I couldn't view the forum and every time I would click on a link it would take me to a blank page. I eventually got it to work, but I had been gone too long. I decided to lurk in the shadows every now and then, but last night something in my soul awakened. It was something magical. I am going to try to mingle my way back into becoming an active member of the most awesomeness message board every. Here are some pictures I took last night.

I made a quick video from last night. I did it while watching Meerkat Manor so you know I was distracted. I didn't know how to change the settings on my camera so I had to take short videos because it filled up my memory card fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyEGcuWHzN0

It was a fun fun night. I sprained my ankle just by standing, but it was worth the pain. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Experiencing a concert with other fans is something special. I am going to stop now because I feel like I'm using too many fluffy words, but I did have fun and I've missed the boards. I hope all is well with everyone!
  • Thanks for complimenting my pictures, guys smile.gif!! I just try my best to contribute back to this board since it is only this board that has the up to date info on all things OK GO. For that, I thank you guys!!

YAY Angela!! I'm happy you got video of him berating on me about how I start genocide ;_; ;_; lol ;_; hehe I know he's kidding though. I hope. ;_; ;_;

• The past three days have been pretty exhausting, BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT!! I had so much fun! I'm a little sad that I didn't get to talk to any of the guys, but it's okay. I've sort of run out of things to say to them anyway. All I really wanted was a Dan hug.

I've got a ton of videos, but I think some of them might be too big for Youtube. I'm trying to upload them right now. I don't have many pictures because I've discovered that my new camera sucks at concert pics and that I suck at photography. I'm also working on my write-up. I'll probably put it up in a couple of hours because it's not going to be very long.

QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 30 2008, 08:05 AM)
    Kalinda, thanks so much for the call! It was kind of funny as I had fallen asleep and was dreaming about being at an OK Go concert, but they were singing A Good Idea At the Time, then I get the call and they're singing The House Wins. It sounded like the crowd was having a damn good time. I hope you had a mighty damn good time!!! Were you finally able to see Dan?

You're welcome! Haha, now I wish I had called you during Good Idea! I knew it was late in your time zone, so I thought I would call as soon as they started playing. I didn't get to see Dan. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Basically, I couldn't stick around after, so I didn't get to see anyone.

Beautiful pictures Barbara! So much better than mine. Do you remember what time Damian and Tim came out at? If it was after 12:30, then I think I'm going to cry because I might have been able to get back in time to see them. I wish I could have stayed after, but I had to make a very important birthday cupcake delivery!

EDIT: I've finished my write-up, but I've only been able to upload four out of eleven videos. It takes so long. Here are the vids I have so far:

Don't Ask Me
    Damian talking about Darfur
    Good Idea
    Damian talks about Elvis Costello

And here's my write-up:

I arrived at UCLA on Wednesday, the day before the concert. On Thursday, my friends took me to the ballroom sometime after 2 to ask about tickets. We asked if they were still selling advance tickets and they said yes, so we bought the special ticket that came with a shirt and supposedly gave you priority access, but it didn’t seem like there was a difference, but maybe that was because I got there a little late. I heard them soundchecking House, Oh Lately, and DWYW. I wanted to stick around so I could get rid of the brownies, but my friends wanted to get something to eat, so I went with them. Then I had to wait for my friend to get out of class because I didn’t want to leave without her.

We went in a little after six, which is when the whole thing started. It wasn’t too crowded, so we looked around before we went back into the ground. Then we waited for a looooong time. OK Go started setting up around 10:10 or so. At this point, I was about 4 rows back, but I managed to move up a row later. Unfortunately, I was too far away to yell at Mike and have him take the brownies, so I had to hold them for the whole concert. They came on at 10:30 (the only reason I remember is because that was when I called Becky, so the time is in my call history). The set list went like this:

The House Wins
    TV
    Don’t Ask Me
    No Sign
    Good Idea
    The Fix
    Prove My Love
    Get Over It
    A Million Ways
    What To Do
    YSDH
    It’s A Disaster
    Oh Lately
    Invincible
    HIGA
    ---------
    Don’t Bring Me Down
    DWYW

Sometime after Good Idea, Damian started talking about how he went to see Elvis Costello the night before (The Police/Elvis Costello show at the Hollywood Bowl). I started freaking out because I love Elvis Costello and I know a lot of boardies do too, so I recorded most of that.

When Damian was doing the vote for the cover, he did his whole voting spiel and told people to vote on Tuesday (California is having a Consolidated Statewide Direct Primary Election). Violent Femmes had the popular vote and Damian asked “Superdelegate Tim” what they should do and he said to go with the people.

Before they started playing AMW, Damian started talking about the rainbow rockenspiel and how it represented world peace. I’m kind of sad that they don’t have the old blue one anymore because that’s the rockenspiel I have.

Before OLISQ, Damian said that he was going to dedicate the song to someone in the room, but that person hasn’t been born yet. That’s when I realized then that Trish was there. Damian talked about how Trish was pregnant with her second child, Bernard. I think he also said something like how the baby must think that the world is super loud.

It ended around 11:50. It was an AMAZING show. Definitely one of the best OK Go shows I’ve seen. I finally got to see the confetti cannon, the LED jackets, and the gong.

I was too far back to get a set list, so I went to go talk to Mike. I went up to him and gave him the brownies. Then he said something like, “You chose a good show to come to.” I told him that it was pretty much my only choice because most of the other shows are across the country. I asked him if there was any chance of a show in London or in San Francisco in August for Alice, but he said no and that they were recording, most likely in Sweden again. Then he said that they might do shows at the end of the year, but until then Fairfax is the last show of the year. Then he had to go, so I said bye. I looked around, but I couldn’t see any of the guys or Trish (I think I'm not meant to meet her), so we went outside and did a quick walk around the place, but we really had to go. I had baked cupcakes for my friend’s birthday and the only time I would get a chance to see him was right after the concert, so we left.
  • Oh, wow, Barbara, your pictures just keep getting better!! smile.gif

Kalinda, I'm glad you had a great time - sorry that you didn't get to see Dan, though! Next time, I'm sure it'll happen. Can't wait to watch your videos, love! It's so cute that Damian dedicated OLISQ to Baby Bernard (hehe) and I love the rainbow rockenspiel representing world peace - I feel like Damian should be in a Miss World contest or something wink.gif

QUOTE (ezorvera @ May 31 2008, 09:05 AM)
    I asked him if there was any chance of a show in London or in San Francisco in August for Alice, but he said no and that they were recording, most likely in Sweden again.

Awww, thank you, honey!! You're such a sweetie. Shame about the lack of August SF shows, but at least we'll get to meet anyway smile.gif

Sweden's not so far away - want to go to hang out outside the studio, Mayo? wink.gif
  • QUOTE (ezorvera @ May 31 2008, 03:05 AM)
    The past three days have been pretty exhausting, BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT!! I had so much fun! I'm a little sad that I didn't get to talk to any of the guys, but it's okay. I've sort of run out of things to say to them anyway. All I really wanted was a Dan hug.

You're welcome! Haha, now I wish I had called you during Good Idea! I knew it was late in your time zone, so I thought I would call as soon as they started playing. I didn't get to see Dan. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif Basically, I couldn't stick around after, so I didn't get to see anyone.

Well darnit! I'm glad I was able to give Dan a hug from you back at the House of Blues then. He wasn't tipsy yet, so I'm sure he remembers it. At least his eyes sparkled when I said your name and that it was from you.

And like I said, any song was great. So, I got to hear Andy's ping ping ping ping on the keyboards? Yay!! Thanks so much Kalinda, you're the bestest.

And the vids are super-fantastic!!

QUOTE (ezorvera @ May 31 2008, 03:05 AM)
    It ended around 11:50. It was an AMAZING show. Definitely one of the best OK Go shows I’ve seen. I finally got to see the confetti cannon, the LED jackets, and the gong.

Aren't all of those things awesome? I love it when Damian goes crazy on the gong.

QUOTE (ezorvera @ May 31 2008, 03:05 AM)
    I asked him if there was any chance of a show in London or in San Francisco in August for Alice, but he said no and that they were recording, most likely in Sweden again. Then he said that they might do shows at the end of the year, but until then Fairfax is the last show of the year.

Well, now I know not to look for them in Chicago. And sad.gif on no more shows. Ah well, they need a break. And I really wouldn't mind hearing some new material from them.

I'm glad you had an excellent time, even though you didn't get to see the guys after the show.
  • sad.gif

no more shows after fairfax...

sad.gif Sweden .....

• Great pictures you guys!

Aww no more shows? I'm glad the (almost) last one was so special though. Baby Bernard! I can't believe you held the brownies the whole concert. That's true fandom.

Despite the lack of shows from now on, I'm glad they're going to start recording. YES!
  • Aw, my sweet nymph Kalinda, they came out at around 12:20am sad.gif I wish we met so we could've exchanged numbers so I could've called you when they went outside sad.gif

AH! I just saw your Don't Ask Me video!! That's me he's berating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But be honest, who wouldn't try to take both tambourines?? You were so close to me! What a small world!!!
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 31 2008, 06:08 AM)
    Awww, thank you, honey!! You're such a sweetie. Shame about the lack of August SF shows, but at least we'll get to meet anyway smile.gif

You're welcome! I'm sure we'll have lots of OK Go related fun when we meet, even if there's no OK Go.

QUOTE (beckysioux @ May 31 2008, 06:43 AM)
    Well darnit! I'm glad I was able to give Dan a hug from you back at the House of Blues then. He wasn't tipsy yet, so I'm sure he remembers it. At least his eyes sparkled when I said your name and that it was from you.

You know, just picturing that makes me happy, so thank you for hugging him for me!

QUOTE (barbaratheninja @ May 31 2008, 06:57 PM)
    Aw, my sweet nymph Kalinda, they came out at around 12:20am sad.gif I wish we met so we could've exchanged numbers so I could've called you when they went outside sad.gif

AH! I just saw your Don't Ask Me video!! That's me he's berating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But be honest, who wouldn't try to take both tambourines?? You were so close to me! What a small world!!!

Aww. I might have been able to make it! You know what's really sad? I actually have your number from when you were going to go to the Steve Allen Theater thing, but I never put it in my phone. FYI, you have the same tambourine as my sister.

I've finally uploaded all my vids!

Prove My Love
    Damian talking
    A Million Ways
    It's A Disaster
    Invincible
    Don't Bring Me Down
    Do What You Want
  • QUOTE (Electra @ May 31 2008, 03:08 PM)
    Sweden's not so far away - want to go to hang out outside the studio, Mayo? wink.gif

haha, YES! 4 hours away from here, yes yes yes .... biggrin.gif

Edit: Sorry, I LOVE all of these pics, Damians hair looks so so SO much better...
  • I would so hang around if I knew they were recording within about 4 hours of me laugh.gif
  • And thanks so much for the videos!! They just made my day and made me very happy. I'm so upset that I couldn't go though. It looks like it was a fun concert