In this Discussion

Look what Tim helped me with...

Comments

• I was just watching a story about this last night - it's so disturbing that they're dying out.

Great job, great cause, Trish! Did Tim mix the music too?
  • Hey, coincidentally I saw this yesterday smile.gif I'm subscribed to helpthehoneybees...was it really you and Tim behind that? blink.gif
  • this is a nice cause!! I really didn't know this! I second Rosa's questions...
  • I directed it and Tim agreed to appear as DJ Honey.
  • That's awesome, Trish! That was really creative.
  • That was awesome! laugh.gif
    Poor bees, I wish I wasn't so scared of them.
    Why are they dying? I mean, I've heard that they're dying but does anyone know why yet?
  • Haha Trish that's brilliant! Tim made that bee costume look like the height of fashion, too... tongue.gif

QUOTE (hensocks @ Jul 17 2008, 05:28 PM)
    Why are they dying? I mean, I've heard that they're dying but does anyone know why yet?

I read that it had something to do with cell phone frequencies confusing their sense of direction - when they perform their "wiggle dance" (seriously), they show other bees where the nectar is in relation to the sun; when the airwave frequencies confuse them they dance in the wrong direction, so the bees never find the nectar and pretty much starve.

That's the latest thing that I heard, anyway, but they're still looking into it, I think.
  • QUOTE (Electra @ Jul 17 2008, 10:11 AM)
    I read that it had something to do with cell phone frequencies confusing their sense of direction - when they perform their "wiggle dance" (seriously), they show other bees where the nectar is in relation to the sun; when the airwave frequencies confuse them they dance in the wrong direction, so the bees never find the nectar and pretty much starve.

That's the latest thing that I heard, anyway, but they're still looking into it, I think.

Whoa. blink.gif
    Man, us people can really fuck up the world.
  • disappearing bees makes me think of Dr Who...

anywho, that was awesome Trish!

and even though I intensely dislike bees in general, I still hope we can keep them from disappearing smile.gif
  • Awesome video Trish. That was really interesting. I had heard about them disappearing and it's really sad when an animal is endangered.

On a lighter note, it reminded me of that time ages ago when Run DMC rapped about bees on Reading Rainbow. I couldn't find a clip of that but here's a clip of them rapping on Reading Rainbow if anyone's interested. http://youtube.com/watch?v=kOBDEhxd_WU
  • TRISH! THANK YOU for doing this. As we all know, life depends on biodiversity. One link breaks in the chain and we all feel it.

So creative and entertaining as well! Really fabulous!

• I was totally oblivious to this problem prior to today. It's amazing how dependent we can be on little things like bees.

Trish and Tim, you guys are so amazing for helping with the cause. The video was hilarious. I had no idea you were so pro at directing, Trish. laugh.gif
  • wow nice job. that was so fun.

what a great cause to support
  • That was awesome Trish!! I love Tim's bee vest.

QUOTE (thephantommilk @ Jul 17 2008, 12:17 PM)
    disappearing bees makes me think of Dr Who...

Me too!!
  • I iterate everything everyone has said before me. Great directing. Great cause. Great job! Love you, Trish.
  • QUOTE (hensocks @ Jul 17 2008, 04:28 PM)

There have been a ton of theories, but no one knows for sure... which is why the whole thing is becoming increasingly more disturbing.

My family has kept bees for a long time now; I've only just starting learning how to take care of the hive this summer. In the two locations we have them, I think we lost a couple hives in one place, but the other (the more established of the two) seems to be doing more or less alright. So far this year though, I must say, we've collected a lot less honey than we typically do. It could just be an off-year, but it still seems fishy to me.

• THE VIDEO IS FEATURED ON YOUTUBE!!!! YAY!!!!
  • Whats the name of that song biggrin.gif It's so awesome.
  • QUOTE (Trashy Trishy @ Jul 17 2008, 11:01 AM)
    I directed it and Tim agreed to appear as DJ Honey.

ohmy.gif and to think I watched this video twice and didn't recognize Tim before. I'm officially burying my head in shame.
  • LOL Tim is cracking me up with the 'tude in that vid..