In this Discussion

The Mighty Concert and Venue Review

edited November -1 in General Discussion
We have a thread for upcoming shows you're going to. But we have no thread to discuss how the show was or how the venue was. Here is the wonderous missing link we have been craving. Talk about the recent show(s) you've been to and tell us about the venue: did it suck, rock, or meh.

Now.....GO!

Comments

• Here's my review of the Ringo Starr show I saw this past Thursday:

It was awesome!!!!

....Alright, alright. Sorry, I'm still a bit high from it. Here's the real write-up. (BTW, if you know me on other boards, I'm going to be cutting and pasting this write-up on other boards for non-Ok Go boardie reading. Sorry, just skip reading that post if you see it on other boards.) wink.gif

I got there a little after 6pm. The show was taking place in Phoenix at a place called The Dodge Theater. I walked around the back of the place to see if anything cool was happening. I saw two big brown tour buses and three black SUV's. There was no cording off to keep outsiders from walking up close. I saw a security guard for the theater and asked him if Ringo had already shown up. He said "yeah, he just showed up about a minute ago." Gah!! I missed seeing him come out of his car by just a minute. I did see Edgar Winters (one of the All Star Band members) get out of the back fo a black Lincoln town car. He is albino and had to rush into the theater to avoid too much sun exposure. It was 6pm, but the sun was hitting straight onto that side of the building and it was soooo hot outside! The security guard was a sweet guy. We ended up chatting for a bit about nothing to useful. He vaguely reminded of Dan Konopka--he didn't look like Dan but he sorta talked like him (gah, I must really be having Ok Go withdrawl). Outside the theater, the local oldies station (my fav station) and classic rock station (my second fav station) had booths set up. At the classic rock booth, you could play Guitar Hero. At the oldies station booth, you could answer a trivia question and win either a cd or a "Sex and the City" make-up bag. The cd was of a famous soul group, but damned if I can remember. I chose the make-up bag.

I think what contributed to the fun of this show, was the crazy people I met. Standing outside the side of the theater with me was an old hippie couple from Tuscon, who had driven up to Phoenix for the show. After the security guard walked away, I chatted with the hippie couple for awhile. They were everything, you'd picture a classic 60s hippie to be! They both had straggly long worn out hair. They looked like they spent their lives making things in the sun rather than earn a real living. They wore baggy tie died and earth colored clothing. They said that they don't like Tuscon because it's not a good place to bike, but that they liked their little bit of neighborhood because it was like their own Haight Ashbury. The hippie wife said that her brother has visited England, and that he went past Abby Road Studios. When he went past the studio, George Martin (the Beatles old record producer) was going into the studio. The brother started sputtering speechlessly and looked wacky enough that he scared George Martin, and Mr. Martin ran into the studio to call security. LOL, I just picture a crazy old ragged hippie walking up to George Martin and going "dude, man, woah, dude."

Outside the theater, a clean looking bum had a guitar case open and was singing Beatles songs. He had a good voice too. He sorta sounded like George Harrison even. All these wacky people really made me wish I had gone to Vegas this year for Beatlesfest.

Waiting in line to get into the theater there was a clean-cut man and his son. The man was middle aged and a former East Coaster. His son was 14. He turned to me and started to brag about all the classic rock concerts he had taken his son to and all the autographs he helped his son get at those shows. That was only the tip of the iceburg in his bragging. He then proceded to go on and on about how talented musically his son was and he described in elaborate detail his plans for being the merch guy at his sons shows once his son's band came together. The son was a sweet quiet kid. The dad kept going on and on in his heavy neurotic East Coast Woody Allen sorta way. He was the closest I ever come to meeting a showbiz parent. He started to brag about his son's friend who is in a band that is almost ready to be signed to a record label but doesn't have one yet, and that this friend will be his son's foot into the music business. I think he's forcing his son to lead the life he always wanted to lead. But the son seems happy with music, so while the dad is a little zealous, at least he is a supportive dad. He said how his son's middle name is Harrison and he thinks that his son should use that as his stage last name instead of his real last name becuase it's a more intruiging last name. I said to the son, "Well, you do sort of look like George Harrison's son Dani." Then his father butts in a goes "Ohhh, everybody says that! He looks just like a younger version of Dani Harrison." Actually, I think the son looks a little more like the youngest Jonas brother, but I didn't say anything. I asked them if they ever heard of Ok Go. The son looked totally clueless even when I described the HIGA video. I encouraged him to look into Ok Go, esp. if he wanted to know more about music. I didn't tell him this, but I really feel I know a lot about music, how a show is set up, what the band has to do before a show, by reading Ok Go interviews and esp. by reading what you guys write in your write-ups. Ok Go is my education. (Actually, it'd be funny to ever run into those two at an Ok Go show and see The Neurotic showbiz dad go up to Damian and talk his ear off about his glorious son and how he's going to get into the music business.) The Neurotic showbiz dad asked me where I was sitting. Then he got all excited realizing that we were all going to be sitting together. Oye, what a coincidence.

Anyway, we're finally let inside and I am super thirsty! The Neurotic showbiz dad warns me not to buy anything there because it will be very overpriced. I didn't care. I needed a drink. I was so dry, so I got a bottle of diet pepsi for $4.50. There were also food vendors and plenty of alcoholic bevies. I lost Neurotic showbiz dad once we got into the place. His son wanted to get to his seat quickly. He hoped if he talked to a roadie, that he could give the roadie an old record album for Ringo to sign. I'm not sure if that plan ended up working, but it was an interesting idea. There was a merch booth selling Ringo's artwork for exorbitant prices. There was also a merch booth selling concert memorabilia for reasonable prices. There was a long crowded line for merch. I bought a few t-shirts, a key chain, and a few mugs. I tend to buy a few of everything if it's not overpriced so that I can send something to my mom and sis.

Before this show, I had never been to an event at the Dodge Theater. A jerk at a deli counter at the grocery store warned me it was going to stink. But the great Lady M (the friend who got me into Ok Go) told me that it was a good place and that I should have a good time. I went to the show by myself. More and more, I'm starting to like going to concerts alone. When I'm getting ready to go I feel like I'm going to be lonely and wish that I had a partner in crime. But once I'm at the show, I lose myself in the fun. I find it easier to get around and go where I want to go without an extra person around. Now, when I entered the theater and went to find my seat, I realized how incredibley awesome my seat was and I was stunned. It was the best seating I've ever had for a sit-down show where your seat is pre-arranged by the theater. I was actually in the wrong section, so Neurotic showbiz dad and his son where across the aisle from me. He told me, "Someone's going to come and claim that seat." I told him I don't care. If they do, then I'll move. I was so in love with that seat. I really wanted floor seats, but they were sold out. My seat was the 4th row up from the floor seats. I was 75 feet from the stage. I felt like I was going to see a school play rather than Ringo Starr. The stage was set up with a blue background and big stuffed silver stars hanging in front of the blue. A drum on a podium was in the center of the stage. Another drum set was off to the side. Keyboards were set up in front of the drums on either side of the stage. Off to the right was a set of saxophones. A couple of guitars were sitting on stands waiting to be played. The theater felt a bit like a garage in terms of color. It was a nice small theater. The only complaint I have was that the seats should've been set up more like in a movie theater, where there is enough staggering between the rows so that a tall person in front of you won't block your view. (This would become a slight annoyance later on.)

A weirdo already drunkish bald man came over and sat near me. He sort of resembled a more slovernly version of Locke (the bald guy) from the tv show "Lost." He was bald with a white t-shirt and jeans, bright blue eyes, and a worn look like Locke on "Lost" would have. He said, "I'll sit here, near the hippie chick," (refering to me). Then he joked trying to be friendly, "I didn't mean anything by that, by the way." He turned to the people behind him and started to talk about selling marijuana during Woodstock. He didn't sit there for long, he just had to take a break from walking with his cup of beer. He was hillarious. I didn't pay much attention to him, I was just too excited for the show to start. No one came to claim my seat. All the ones around and in front of me started to get taken. I was happy now that his marvelous seat was all mine! The seat I had purchased was good, but his seat was so much better. BTW, my look wasn't all that hippie-ish. I wore a black tank top that had wooden beads and rhinestones all over the chest. Over the tank top I had this cute black short sleeved little mini-jacket sorta thing. I was wearing the wrist bands too. (I shall post pics once I get them developed.) The audience was a good mix of people. Lots of Beatles and Ringo Starr fans of course. Many middle aged men and their teenaged sons. A few kids (maybe 10 or so years old). Some hippies. But a lot of young people our age, who were either fans or on dates.

The show finally starts with the All Star band coming out and singing "Billlly Sheeears." Then Ringo comes out and sings "I get by with a little help from my friends." Then they all sing together "It Don't Come Easy" (my fav Ringo song!). And I went into absolute shock. Ringo is standing there singing so close by! I never thought the seats or the venue would be so good. I actually had pretty low expectations. I expected Ringo to just come out there and do his thing, but he really put his all into it, which made me very happy. I couldn't believe he was there in the flesh so close. He looks exactly like he does on tv or in pictures:
    He doesn't look pouchy and old or scrawnily run down or wrinkled. He's absolutley adorable! His band members also looked great and were fantastic musicians, all popular in their own right for their own hit songs.

There were five band members besides Ringo. Gregg Bissonette was the extra drummer. He comes from a family of studio musicians. He didn't have any songs to perform. The other four All Star members performed their own songs inbetween Ringo singing his solo and Beatle songs. When the All Stars sang their own songs, Ringo would take the drums and play back up for them. Ringo alternated between walking around the stage singing and getting on the drums to sing.
    The other All Star members were:
    Colin Hay
    image,
    Billy Squier
    image,
    Hamish Stuart
    image,
    Edgar Winters
    image,
    and Gary Wright
    (more on what songs they're famous for later).

Ringo's onstage banter was absolutely hillarious, charming, and adorable. Gah, it's no wonder he's a Beatle. Once he'd get on the drums to sing a Beatle song, I'd suddenly go crazy realizing a Beatle was singing a Bealtes song in front of me. And unlike going to a Paul McCartney show, this was intimate, not a huge audience and tight security. The security was awesome actually. They said no cameras, but everyone had one and everyone was snapping away here and there. I've heard at other Ringo shows that security was strict with the no camera rule, but not at this show. I don't remember the exact set-list. I'm not good at stuff like that. I forgot to ask for a setlist afterward. In between each song, Ringo would give a little intro and talk to the audience. Anyone who shouted to him, he'd turn to and wave or say something cute to. He kept talking about peace and love. He kept waving peace fingers at everybody. He talked about how hot it was in Phoenix, and how he kind of liked it, but he preferred the air conditioning. Later on, when he started to feel warm from performing he asked, "did someone leave a back door opened?" He was smart enough ahead of time to read up about what was going on in Phoenix that day so that he could comment on it. He said, "did you know it's Love and Peace Day today in Phoenix? They even gave me the key to the city." Ha, I know every musician, including Ok Go, mentions the city they're performing in, but I always eat that shit up. He also mentioned about how the Motley Crew were also in town on the same day. I'm not sure why that was such a big deal. Even people I talked to outside were mentioning it. Girls were blowing him kisses and then he said, "gosh, look at me, I'm covered in kisses. I'm blowing them right back for you." And he started blowing kisses to the crazy girls. Ringo sang a few of his own songs, then he got behind the drums and each All Star got to sing and perform a song. Ringo was such a little ham behind the drums. He knew the audience was all there to see him.

All Star band member Edgar Winter, rock and roll's most famous albino, played one of his hit songs Free Ride. After that, All Star band member Billy Squier performed his The Stroke---> of course he no longer has big hair. It's cropped very short, but he still likes to jump around the stage while he plays. He's an awesome guitar player. There was a point were Ringo was shaking his head side to side while he played the drums, just like he did as a Beatle, and I thought "awwww!" If you's just put a moptop on him at that point you'd realize you were staring at a Beatle. For an example of Ringo's Moptop head shake see this vid at 1:46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hj28Ca1RdU

Then All Star band member Colin Hay played a song. He's famous for being in the band "Men at Work." He sang his famous Who Can It Be Now. Ha, I've always loved that song, and I got a kick out of watching Ringo play the drums to these songs. Then Ringo got off the drums and performed a few more songs walking around on stage. He sang his famous "Liverpool" song. I had my mom and sister listening to the concert on my cell phone. My mom just visited Liverpool this year and loves that song. Anyway, some fans held up a banner with "Liverpool rocks" written on it. After he was done with the song, he told them it was a nice banner and that Liverpool does indeed rock. Then someone shouted, "I love you." He whips round, smirks and says, "I love you too, and you and you. I feel so popular." At one point he tried to introduce his next song and started to sputter on his own words, and joked, "Hmm, sorry. I was at the dentist today." I squealed. There was an idiotic tall guy in front of me. Luckily, he didn't obscure my view of Ringo. Idiotic tall guy kept getting up for drinks, so when he would leave, I'd take even more pictures. Toward the end of each Ringo song, people would get up and dance and wave peace fingers. After Ringo sang a song, Idiotic tall guy (who was already quite drunk) was one of the ones who stood up and held up peace fingers. Ringo said, "yes, big guy. I see you there. Can't ignore a big guy reaching with peace signs. Ringo then walked to get behind the drums and idiotic tall guy got up to go get another drink. Direct vision with Ringo from his drums was now made. Ha, eye contact! I smiled and waved and blew his a kiss. He nodded and smiled directly at me. Then as an All Star got ready to start a song, Ringo pretended to wipe imaginary sweat from his brow and point it at me. And then I melted. There were other times during the show when we had direct eye contact, but the most vivid in my memory was the ones just mentioned when he singled me out for some attention. A smart thing Ringo does that I'm not sure other bands do but really should, is while he's talking, the lights are on in the audience. Thanks to that, he can see every member and interact with and see the faces of the audience members.

Next, All Star band member Hamish Stuart performed one of his songs. He is a Scotsman who has also done a lot of guitar work with Paul McCartney. He's famous for being a member of "The Average White Band." He played Pick Up the Pieces. Then All Star member Gary Wright told a story about being in India with George Harrison and Ringo. He said George kept giving him books to read. One of the books had a line "one needs to weave a dream." And from that he created his famous song "Dream Weaver." The stage went dark and blue and mysterious as he played his famous Dream Weaver. Ringo sang a few Beatles songs from behind the drums. Then he announced that there was going to be a slight rearrangment of the stage. He went off stage, and Edgar Winter went into a ten minute version of his hit Frankenstein. Towards the end of the song, people were shouting for Ringo. He came out in a new pair of clothes. The wardrobe change was a little unneccessary as he merely changed from one pair of rhinestone studded t-shirt and jeans to another. That Edgar Winters is amazing though. He plays the saxophone, keyboard, and big bass drums. He's a very versatile musician. He had a keyboard strapped round his neck like a guitar at one point.

Ringo came back on stage and joked about how many books about the East he still has from George (Harrison) and about how much he misses him. Then he sang a song he wrote for George "Never Without You." He got on the drums and said, "Now I'm going to sing some songs from one of my old bands--Rory Storm and the Hurricaines." He joked about one of his first bands, knowing people were expecting some more Beatle songs. Some people started cheering till they heard "Rory Storm," instead of "the Beatles." Ringo quipped, "Ah, we have some Rory Storm and the Hurricaines fans here in Phoenix." Then he smiles cheekily. A girl somewhere at the back of the audience reaches toward him than pantomines fainting. Ringo puts his hand on his forehead like he has a fever. Then he launches into some Bealtes songs.

Then the All Stars do some more of the songs that made each of them famous. Billy Squier played his famous Lonely is the Night. Then Hamish Stuart played his famous Work To Do. He's a great guitarist, but I didn't care much for "Work to Do" except for watching Ringo drum. Gary Wright played Love Is Alive. But Colin Hay brought down the house with his Land Down Under. "Land Down Under" pretty much brought down the house (or maybe I just loved it since that used to be one of me and my sister's fav songs). How funny to watch Ringo drum to a song like that. Then Ringo got off the drums and did some more songs. He made the audience sing along with him to "A Little Help With My Friends." We sang the refrains ("do you need anybody"/"could it be anybody"). He also demanded audience participation for "Yellow Submarine." He joked about now's the part where he's supposed to walk off stage and pretend the show is done and we're all supposed to cheer and beg for more. He said, rather than do that, let's all cheer right now and do the next song. Then he sang "Photograph." He ended the show with "Give Peace and Chance." As the song ended, he thanked the audience and threw a big kiss and left the stage while the rest of the band finished singing and playing the song. Then the All Stars got together, held hands, and took a great big bow before leaving the stage.

I have the order of the songs mixed up, I'm sure, but every song I mentioned and more were played. Some Beatles songs I remember for sure Ringo played included "Boys," "Act Naturally," "I Wanna Be Your Man," and "What Goes On." As well as a solo song I don't know the name of. He proudly added when introducing "What Goes On" that it's the only Lennon/McCartney/Starkey song. The only two songs he didn't sing that he's famous for were "Octopus's Garden" and "You're 16." Since I was at the front of the place, it took awhile for me to get out of there. When I left the theater, I checked outside the back of the theater again. The SUV's were gone, so I'm assuming Ringo was on his way back to Los Angeles.

The pics I took do the show no justice. My camera is no good at capturing a moment. There was a really cute moment when Billy Squier and Ringo were back to back jiving (sorta like Tim and Damian in that vh1 1980s special). I really ought to get a camera that can snap a quicker more effective pic. Not to mention, there were times when people would get up and dance, so that also took away from great pics. I want a camera like T-dogs. My camera could never capture the Kulash bunnyhop. It just can't snap them fast enough. When I get the pics developed, I'll post them.

I would highly recommend going to see Ringo Starr. He is so so so incredibley adorable and cuddly still. You just want to be his friend. He still has the uncanny ability to make girls go like this (watch blonde girl on the left):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrGsi-GqbLU
    ^^haha, sorry he's not in that seen, but he really does have the ability to make girls do that, as I found myself doing for the past few days now. What can I say? It's a God given talent.

He makes you feel loved and he totally feeds off of people's love. He constantly talks about love, and being a Beatle, he really does exude love. If only that one quarter of the Beatles is so charming, it's no wonder as a whole quartet they were able to set the world on fire. I can't speak for every venue he performs at of course, but I can say that going to a Ringo concert if you're a Bealtes fan, is so wonderful because it's a cozy intimate experience. He doesn't play to huge arena audiences like Paul McCartney. I would love to see Paul in concert, I plan to one day, but I know it won't be as up close and as personal as it was with Ringo. I'll be in a sea of faces, whereas with Ringo, it's a small enough audience to make eye contact. Plus, each All Star member is famous for their own songs so you get a mini concert of classic rock songs from those band members as well. I think it was by far the best concert I've ever been to because it ended up meaning so much to me. Now go, go see Ringo! If you're ever in Phoenix when he's performing, I'll take you with me to see him.
  • Tempe! The show sounds awesome! I love reading your writeups- you make me feel like I was there.
    "I'll sit here, near the hippie chick," (refering to me).

You should've said, "That's Doctor Hippie, DMD to you!" smile.gif
  • tempe that review was marvellous... i saw the size and thought i'd skim but ended up reading word for word. you're great at recapping. sounds like an awesome concert indeed.

Then as an All Star got ready to start a song, Ringo pretended to wipe imaginary sweat from his brow and point it at me.

I knew ringo would fall for you tongue.gif

glad you had such a great time tempe!

• That show sounded AMAZING! You even got to see two Men at Work songs!

He didn't play Octopus's Garden? Sadness.
  • i'm in nyc area so:
    maxwells: i like it, good times at maxwells
    webster hall-horrible sound
    irving plaza-good sound, okay venue. pretty big
    mercury lounge -perfect
    death by audio-dirty but chill. if you're going there in the first place you get it
    market hotel - needs air conditioning omg but nice space
    mccarren pool - i mean, it's an outside venue so you know. you sacrifice something for the great outdoors of brooklyn
    musichall of williamsburg -PERFECT sound.
    highline-pretty good
    Roseland - massive, you know how that goes.
  • QUOTE (agentnumone @ Aug 4 2008, 11:35 PM)
    I knew ringo would fall for you tongue.gif

glad you had such a great time tempe!

I totally agree! Sounds like an awesome show!
  • My Boy Ringo:

Edgar Winters (white hair), Ringo on drums, and Hamish Stuart

Gary Wright singing "Dream Weaver"

Ringo sings a diddy (from left to right: Edgar Winters, Hamish Stuart, Mr. Land-Down-Under Colin Hay)

Providing back-up for Edgar Winters (the man in the green t-shirt in the back is Billy Squire, who during the 80s had big hair)

• I went to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass this past weekend. It’s this free festival in Golden Gate Park that’s paid for by this rich dude that really loves bluegrass. It started out as Strictly Bluegrass, but then he started adding non-bluegrass artists, so he changed it to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. There’s a bunch of different stages and it goes from 11 am until about 7 pm.

On Saturday, I saw Carlene Carter (June Carter's daughter), Guy Clark and Vernon Thompson, Mark Olson and Gary Louris, and Nick Lowe. I went by myself because no one wanted to come with me. By the time I got there, the meadow where the stage was was pretty full, so I went up into the hills and under the trees. I was kind of far and off to the side, but I could see the entire stage. Carlene Carter was pretty good. She played a slowed down version of "Ring of Fire" which was weird, but still cool. The next two acts were two dudes with guitars. Nice acoustic stuff, but it kind of made me sleepy. Nick Lowe was really good. I kept hoping that Elvis Costello would pop out, but he didn't. I did see a guy wandering backstage that looked like him, but it wasn't.

On Sunday, I saw Bill Kirchen, Riders in the Sky, Ben Kweller, Elvis Costello, and Gogol Bordello. My mom came with me because I had been talking non-stop about it and she decided that she wanted to come. We got there way later than I wanted because I slept through my alarm. We were able to get a decent spot towards the right of the stage. Kind of far back for my taste, but we were still in front of the sound booth/tent.

Bill Kirchen
    My mom's opinion: Pretty good.
    Honestly, I can't really remember what he sounded like, but he wasn't bad. He plays with Elvis Costello a lot and he ended up playing with him later. I was kind of distracted because I saw Ben Kweller's bus pull up and his band were loading in all their stuff.

Riders in the Sky
    My mom's opinion: n/a
    They wrote all the cowboy songs for the Toy Story movies. I really liked them. They were funny, the songs were cute, and they were dressed like cowboys. One of them is in the polka hall of fame. One of them plays his face. What's not to love?

Ben Kweller
    My mom's opinion: He's really young looking. I like him better than Elvis Costello.
    I was pretty excited because he's gone country now, which means he has a pedal steel player with him all the time and I love pedal steel. I was sad to see that BK's piano almost completely covered his pedal steel player, but I could still hear him, which is the important part. His drummer, Mark, was all dressed up with a vest and a tie. The entire crowd was sitting down, so I didn't stand up, but I could still see the stage when I was sitting down. It was actually pretty nice to see him play in the park. The weather was good and everyone was relaxing in the grass. I still wish I had been closer. His kid was on the side of the stage, but he started crying, so they took him away. He played about 13 songs. He said he was going to be at the merch tent to sign stuff and take pictures, but the line ended up being really long, so it was wait for him or go watch Elvis Costello. Obviously I chose Elvis Costello.

Elvis Costello
    My mom's opinion: I think he has nice songs and a nice voice, but I like Ben Kweller better.
    Everyone was standing for Elvis Costello. He also had a pedal steel player, so that was icing on the cake. He opened with Red Shoes. He played Radio Sweetheart (one of my favorite songs). His twin boys were on the side watching and they are the cutest little things! They're super blonde, had big headphones on (as all children at concerts should have), and each one had one drumstick. They kept running onto the stage and someone would have to go pull them off. Elvis Costello kept making jokes about having them play later. Jim Lauderdale came out to play guitar and sing for a couple of songs. Emmylou Harris came out for two songs. He played Peace, Love, and Understanding and everyone thought that was the last song, but then he came back and played another song with a Welsh Choir that had played one of the other stages. After he was done, I went to see if BK was still at the merch tent, but he was gone. I walked around and couldn't find him. I did see Emmylou being driven away on one of those little cart things. Everyone was clapping as she was leaving and she seemed surprised by it.

Gogol Bordello
    My mom's opinion (before they played, after reading a description): They sound interesting. My mom's opinion (after they played): That was really crazy.
    The hipsters came in full force. I think they chased away most of the old Elvis Costello fans away before Gogol Bordello even started playing. Two six foot tall guys decided to stand right in front of me after the second song. I was kind of amused at first because they were really tall, but then I was mostly angry because I couldn't see a thing after that (not that I could see very well to begin with). I think I would have enjoyed them more had I been able to see them, but they were still good.

So, it was a pretty awesome weekend and all free! I'm kind of disappointed that I didn't get to talk to BK, but I've talked to him a bunch of times before and he's supposed to tour again in February, which is a lot sooner than I expected.
  • My favorite part of all that is your Mom's opinion.

I should really be contributing to this thread, shouldn't I? laugh.gif
  • One sentence (mostly) reviews of the shows I have seen in MTL:

Ratatat: As they were not yet HUGE, the annoying hipster to normal fan ratio was rather low, also they rock, so that helped.

The Books: Hitched a ride with a random couple, talked with Nick about hemp and organics, and was absolutely blown away, Or: UGH WHY SO GOOD?

Arcade Fire: Totally worth waiting outside for 5 hours in the snow like a loon and would do it again in a heartbeat

The Roots: Did rock, do rock, will continue to rock

Jason Mraz (+Makepeace Brothers+Bushwalla): My roommate is obsessed so we went for her birthday and I was pleasantly surprised (also: had a conversation about growing sweet basil with Bushwalla after)

We Are Scientists/Art Brut/The Spinto Bad: Mostly just hysterical

Gogol Bordello: Second time seeing them and, god, it's just a fucking party.

De La Soul: What is there not to love about a band that did a hip hop cover of 3 is the Magic Number? That's right: NOTHING... and their concert reflected that completely.

Architecture in Helsinki: I still remember the encore of "Heart it Races" and the room eruption into unrestrained dance

CAKE: My roommate won a tree and now I can't stop listening to Short Skirt/Long Jacket; is that so wrong?
  • i was at both dublin and the belfast shows and the atmosphere in dublin was way better

and the reporter syas "overthree nights in olympia"
    it was 5 sell out nights

and as you said its the same tour

some newspaper reporter didnt do enough research