In this Discussion

Bye Bye Bay-be

edited November -1 in General Discussion
US President-elect Barack Obama has vowed to regain America's moral stature in the world when he arrives at the White House.

And one of his first jobs will be to close down the controversial Guantanamo Bay detention centre.

He said: "I have said repeatedly that I intend to close Guantanamo, and I will follow through on that.

"I have said repeatedly that America doesn't torture. And I'm gonna make sure that we don't torture.

"Those are part and parcel of an effort to regain America's moral stature in the world."

In his first television interview since winning the election, Mr Obama and his wife Michelle answered questions ranging from the economic bail-out to the all important new family dog.

Mr Obama said he had made suggestions to Treasury Secretary Paulson about the banks bail-out.

He did not elaborate but said the rescue plan had not focused enough on property repossessions.

He promised to do whatever it took to avoid a deepening recession.

Mrs Obama said there was no decision concerning the choice of family dog her husband promised the First Couple's daughters on election night.

She said that as "responsible owners" they would make a choice once the family settles into the White House.

Comments

• FUCK YES!!!

Thank god for that. I can hardly believe that Guantanamo Bay has remained this long. It's disgusting.
  • Yeah, but just because Gitmo is physically gone doesn't mean tormenting is going to stop, or that these people are going to get trials, or that people aren't going to wrongly be collected as "terrorist aides" during combat in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
  • QUOTE (Tabetha @ Nov 18 2008, 12:49 PM)
    Yeah, but just because Gitmo is physically gone doesn't mean tormenting is going to stop, or that these people are going to get trials, or that people aren't going to wrongly be collected as "terrorist aides" during combat in Afghanistan and elsewhere.

The second executive order issued after the closing of Guantanamo formally bans torture by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terror interrogations.

Also, I think it's wonderful he's revoking Bush's Executive Order 13233 of Nov. 1, 2001