In this Discussion

The New Album is Up On MySpace

edited November -1 in OK Go
believe it.

the entire thing is streaming on myspace right now. and not on one of those myspace pages that's buried deep in the bowels of their crazy music pages, but on the only myspace page worth visiting: http://myspace.com/okgo

bam!

Comments

• From now on I must choose between coffee or Ok Go in the mornings. The combination has made me super hyper. I choose Ok Go.
  • I don't know about that choice, the withdrawal symptoms are DEFINITELY worse with OK Go. wink.gif
  • I am surprised that 'I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe' only has 725 plays and 'Last Leaf' only has 389. Those are 2 of my faves.
  • QUOTE (Sunnyside1334 @ Jan 7 2010, 01:46 PM)
    I am surprised that 'I Want You So Bad I Can't Breathe' only has 725 plays and 'Last Leaf' only has 389. Those are 2 of my faves.

At least in the case of "I Want You..." it's been available for weeks on the 90210 soundtrack, so there's nothing new to hear. "Last Leaf" well, I don't know.
  • I think it could have to do with them being farther down the list. I listen to them in order and I have to stop sometime and come back and I start over at the begining so....could be that. I personally ADORE "Last Leaf". and I can't help but dance to "This Too Shall Pass". I usually do an immitation of damian because it just fits so perfect. SUCH an amazing album. Can't wait for my copy so I can put it on my ipod and dance around school to it.
    Whats everybody elses reactions?
  • I personally cant believe you 'real fans' listen to the album before the official release!
    Even me, myself and I haven't listened to it yet! This all, plus I made this deal with my girlfriend.. *ouch*
  • I don't really see the differnce between listening to it on cd and online, but I respect your self control. I know that if I didn't listen to it it would just tear me apart till Tuesday. And I have to be functioning for school. So its either curl up in bed for the remaing 5 day or listen to it and keep going on with my daily routine. I am having a major blow out next saturday for the release though.
  • WWOWW!

Yeah, a LOT of Prince influence. White Knuckles, End Love....during their intros I could almost imagine that I am listening to the 1999, Controversy or even Purple Rain albums.
    I LOVE it. I love Prince, I love OK GO. Yeah, this is good.

Love 2 the 9's! O)+>
  • Frogs.

That is all.
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Jan 7 2010, 04:34 PM)
    I personally cant believe you 'real fans' listen to the album before the official release!
    Even me, myself and I haven't listened to it yet! This all, plus I made this deal with my girlfriend.. *ouch*

The thing is that this is official. This isn't some leak; EMI/Capitol has been pushing it, J0rge came on here to make sure we knew it was up. The band wants us to go to their myspace and listen, because (among other reasons) the number of plays they get in these few days is indicative of how much anticipation has built up for this release. That's important from a marketing standpoint. Think about it - who uses Myspace anymore? Yet OK Go has more than 53,000 plays since the new songs went up. So go to myspace and listen to the CD without any reservations about whether or not you're being a "real" fan, because any buzz you can generate about the album is a good thing.
  • Ofcourse, they 'leaked' the album themself, and I'm happy it didn't leak weeks before the release date! Still, I prefer to hold a physical copy, reading the booklet / lyrics and listening to my most anticipated cd ever.

EDIT: I'm not sure about you USA guys, but I can listen to 30 second previews on the dutch iTunes and I only listened to 'Louisiana Land' there, which sounds album worthy. Fucking awesome I tell you!

EDIT#2: I'm going to buy it right now off iTunes. Its available. We really live in a weird country! 'White Knuckles' remix is superduper cool too!

EDIT#3: The record store don't have it yet! I guess I have to wait untill next tuesday too then..
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Jan 7 2010, 05:34 PM)
    I personally cant believe you 'real fans' listen to the album before the official release!

Seriously, what does waiting 'til before or after the official release date have to do with being a "real" fan? What is your opposition to it? As long as people actually go out and purchase the record, whether a physical copy (which I much prefer, but that's certainly not everybody today) or digital, then what difference is it going to make? There are always going to be people who DON'T purchase, merely because it's so easy to access a free download on the Internet, and I'm not saying that's a good thing, but the point is to generate enough buzz that a good portion of those people DO make a purchase. Not that the band actually gets much from CD / digital album sales, anyway. Seriously. Pennies to the dollar.

Maybe you missed the part where I made the point that official release dates are incredibly fluid these days. They range from being "the day the physical version is available" to "a date we just kind of came up with to make it official." Albums leak, albums get pre-released in other countries or to those who pre-order and subsequently get leaked all over the Internet, bands give away free copies on the Internet (ie, via MySpace or their websites or whatever) to generate buzz, band sell their own albums at shows in advance of their own official release dates. I used to work for an indie label where we would regularly send out pre-ordered material several weeks in advance of an official release. There's nothing wrong with listening to a pre-release posted by the band itself.

Also, posting the album on MySpace is not a leak. A leak is when it's done by an outside party.

I mean, I don't want to start shit, but really, get off your high horse and join us back down here. If you were clearly doing it for the fun of it - "I want to see how long I can last!" - that would be one thing, but you're constantly making pejorative statements about those who choose to access advance material. I write a blog and listen to preview material provided to me by bands, labels, and promo companies on a somewhat regular basis (ie, when I decide to write...). Does that make me an inherently bad person?

That being said, no, I haven't listened to this yet, mainly because I want a CD rip, not a MySpace rip. But yes, this is actually a smart idea on the part of the band or whomever decided that this should be done.
  • I just thought you were the people who would say; hey, I'll wait for the official release and not going to listen to a myspace quality version!
    I guess I'm wrong. Sorry about the 'real fans' issue, didn't mean it like the way you think biggrin.gif
  • Well I listened to the entire album on myspace about 50 times today. Gotta say, I absolutely loved some the very first time I listened to them. But there were also some I was a bit "eh" about. Those have been slowly growing on me. And now I shall wait for my pre ordered copy to arrive at my doorstep. I love being a real fan wink.gif happy.gif
  • I listened to it until my husband started to show some serious signs of neglect and then I put my computer on mute and played it some more. I do still use myspace to keep track of musicians that I like and I would love to see Ok Go's play numbers be phenomenal. It's an obsessive thing with me.
  • QUOTE (Joris @ Jan 8 2010, 04:59 AM)
    I just thought you were the people who would say; hey, I'll wait for the official release and not going to listen to a myspace quality version!
    I guess I'm wrong. Sorry about the 'real fans' issue, didn't mean it like the way you think biggrin.gif

The issue doesn't seem to be the quality; I had the impression that you were scandalised that anybody would even think about listening to something before it was officially released.